• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Calling All Cape Parrot Owners!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Hi all! This survey is for Cape Parrot owners in order to aggregate opinions and anecdotes for an upcoming blog post about Cape Parrots. All Cape Parrot owners and breeders are invited to contribute. Recognizing that all parrots are individuals, please respond with regards to your personal experience only. Feel free to provide simple yes/no answers, or elaborate where appropriate. If you have any anecdotes you’d like to share, please feel free. The goal of the blog post will be to provide people interested in Cape Parrots a multitude of opinions and a well-rounded overview of what these parrots are like from the perspectives of many owners.

By way of background, this post was inspired by the fact that there has been an article circulating about Cape Parrots that is overwhelmingly negative about them. Many Cape owners feel that it is inaccurate, especially because it is written from one person's perspective about one Cape only. Several Cape owners and I thought it would be good to write up an article with the perspective of as many Cape owners as possible for a more balanced view of what they are like.

1. Do you currently own a Cape Parrot?
  2. Do you own a Brown-Necked or Grey-Headed Cape Parrot? (If you know.)
  3. Is your Cape Parrot a male or female?
  4. What is the age of your parrot(s)?
  5. How much does your Cape Parrot weigh?
  6. Did your parrot go through a “terrible two’s” stage? (If you know.)
  7. Would you describe your Cape Parrot as gentle?
  8. Clingy?
  9. Independent?
  10. Quiet?
  11. Moody?
  12. Stubborn?
  13. Intelligent?
  14. Goofy?
  15. Sweet?
  16. Clumsy?
  17. Aggressive?
  18. Territorial?
  19. Active? (e.g. more of a perch potato, loves to fly, etc.)
  20. Mechanically inclined (e.g. able to figure out puzzle toys or screws/bolts)?
  21. Destructive?
  22. What are your Cape Parrot’s favorite types of toys and/or perches?
  23. Is your Cape Parrot flighted?
  24. Does your Cape Parrot talk? If so, please describe the extent of his/her vocabulary.
  25. Does your Cape Parrot drool?
  26. Does your Cape Parrot get along with other birds?
  27. How friendly is your Cape Parrot with people other than its chosen person and/or stranger?
  28. Would you recommend Cape Parrots as pets?
  29. Anything else you would like to add?
Please either post your responses to these questions here or send me a message with them. I will aggregate and write up a post. Thank you!

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Another bump :)

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
I don't have a Cape but I'm really hoping you get some responses! Capes have always been up there as one of my dream birds but it's true there is just so much contradictory info out there. Even in our own GB&U post. :) It seems like every breeder and general description of the species makes them out to be pretty perfect, but actual descriptions from owners tells a much different story. It makes me wonder how these descriptions of "relatively quiet, gentle, and cuddly" came about and to what extent the bias of breeders trying to sell babies can be believed. If you don't mind me butting in, would you recommend Capes as pets? Do you know if the other Cape owners you know would?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I don't have a Cape but I'm really hoping you get some responses! Capes have always been up there as one of my dream birds but it's true there is just so much contradictory info out there. Even in our own GB&U post. :) It seems like every breeder and general description of the species makes them out to be pretty perfect, but actual descriptions from owners tells a much different story. It makes me wonder how these descriptions of "relatively quiet, gentle, and cuddly" came about and to what extent the bias of breeders trying to sell babies can be believed. If you don't mind me butting in, would you recommend Capes as pets? Do you know if the other Cape owners you know would?
That's so funny you say that. The reason this survey came about was because there is one article out there about them that is very negative and one of the top google results, and on another Cape Parrot group I'm on, we pretty much all disagreed with it. (The group has a few breeders, but by far and away are pet owners.) I'm a Cape owner (not a breeder) myself, and am very much in the "quiet, gentle, and cuddly" camp :heart: To me, Lola is my perfect parrot. Would I recommend Capes is a complicated question for me, because I think parrots generally are very involved, but for an experienced parrot owner who is aware of how quickly Capes can plow through toys (you may have noticed their comically large beaks-- they are STRONG), and prepared to keep one sufficiently enriched and entertained, absolutely yes. (Incidentally, one of the members of my Cape group has a Cape and a Hyacinth and says she would prefer to get bitten by her Hyacinth than her Cape.)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
It appears that I cannot edit my original post anymore, but, I put the survey in an easy-to-answer online format now. If it is easier for you to fill out this form rather than message your response, please do so. Thanks in advance!

Cape Parrot Owner Survey

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
I know the article of which you speak and it does certainly come off as very salty. I'm so glad you are trying to gather a wider range of opinions.

Having recently adopted a Sennie I am just so enamored with the entire Poi family. If Capes are anything like their smaller cousins, then one day when I am ready move on to a larger bird I think they might just be a good option. If anything, Maggie has been good preparation for any bird that loves to chew wood!

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Shade has a cape. I wonder if she will partake in this thread

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Responses have started rolling in. We'd love to get as many as possible, so if there are any other lurking Cape owners, please come on out! Former Cape owners also welcome to complete the survey! :)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
I have an almost 3 year old female Cape Parrot that I've had since weaning. I filled out your survey form and sent it today.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I have an almost 3 year old female Cape Parrot that I've had since weaning. I filled out your survey form and sent it today.
Thank you!

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Any updates on the survey results?