• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Caleb's annual cardiology recheck

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Caleb had a long day today as did I. First there was the long drive to the cardiologist's office in moderate to heavy traffic on multiple free ways. At times vehicles were at a standstill. Then I had input the address correctly and wound up going too far west so I pulled over, called the office to tell them I was sort of lost and was told that I forgot to put "west" in front of the rest of the address so fixed that and back on the road again. Finally arrived, had to fill out some paperwork and then Caleb was taken to the back for tests and I was taken to an exam room to wait for him.

I was very stressed and concerned because, although Caleb has never shown outward symptoms of any cardiac issues, he was diagnosed 4 years ago with an AV block/erratic heartbeat and then last year he was additionally diagnosed with a heart murmur, slightly thickened and leaking valves. He was scheduled for an EKG and an echocardiogram. Waited for him to be brought to the exam room, tried not to be stressed but difficult to relax and finally cardiologist brought him into the room and told me that nothing changed from last year, the exam and test results were boring and no need for medication which was a great thing. We like boring. I was very happy regarding his results although, of course, would have been nice if by some miracle the cardiac issues had resolved on their own.

Was told that Caleb was very good boy during the tests and he loved sitting on the cardiologist's lap while she talked to me about the results. He also got a few treats to eat there and also take home.

He kept trying to jump out of his car seat during the ride to the vet but on the trip home he slept most of the way. Good thing was there was less traffic so was faster getting home although still a long drive.

caleb car seat 8-18.jpg

Caleb in his car seat when we arrived home.

caleb home 8-18.jpg

Taking it easy after a long day.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Sweetie pie!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hope he will be well. How old is he?

We should all be able to sit in our doctors lap!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope he will be well. How old is he?

We should all be able to sit in our doctors lap!
He is an active guy and has shown no outward symptoms which is a good thing. He was diagnosed when he was 2 years old and he is now 6. The cardiologist said it was genetic. I have no info about his pedigree or history because I adopted him from the shelter when he was 3 mos. old.

As for sitting in the doctor's lap, depends on the doctor. :D Caleb is extremely sweet, loves everyone.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am glad his situation hasn’t gotten worse! We like boring over here too regarding medical care:D He is a little beauty:heart: He reminds me of my late dog Kely’s best buddy Tinka:heart:

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
He has to most adorable face :xflove:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Glad it was all good news for Caleb, he is a cutie.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd love to know how he wound up in the shelter. He was only 3 mos. old. The day I saw him there was also another poodle X puppy, a little black and white female. I also got my previous poodle, Hollie, at a shelter when she was about 3-4 mos. old. She had a pink collar on and I was very shocked nobody came in and claimed her as theirs. She was a purebred miniature.

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Poor baby, perhaps he was a child’s dog who grew tired of him. But he landed in a perfect home:heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't see this before I went to the shelter but found it online after I adopted Caleb. Horrible photo of him. He didn't look like that in person. I'm positive they cleaned him up after taking that photo.

ugly dog.jpg
He also wasn't available for adoption because he was scheduled to be transported back east through Best Friends. I asked if there was someone I could talk to about that. I spoke to one of the Best Friend volunteers at the shelter and she called her supervisor. I was allowed to spend some time with him, told the rep I would take him home that day, then they took him off of the transport list and I was able to adopt him.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby, perhaps he was a child’s dog who grew tired of him. But he landed in a perfect home:heart:
Since there were two poodle Xs around the same age I thought that perhaps they were confiscated from a backyard breeder or that the "breeder" didn't want them and turned them in. Maybe they were found running around on their own??

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Those are more likely possibilities actually. So sad so Many sweet babies end up in shelters. I think you were meant to find him:heart:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Great news! That last pic is sooooo cute!