• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Calcium suppliment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoso

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bob
I have been told by several grey owners to offer up a fruit flavored tums tablet to Zazu from time to time. I guess my question is does anyone really do this? Is it safe? How much is enough and how much is too much? (if any that is)

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't give Tums (see quote below) They also contain a lot of sugar.
I have used Calciboost in the past per my Avian Vet.

Does TUMS® contain aluminum?
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare does not add aluminum during the manufacturing process of the TUMS® Tablets but one of the raw materials used in TUMS® does contain negligible amounts of aluminum, measured as parts per million (ppm), ranging approximately from 100 to 500 ppm.
Tums FAQ, Contents of Tums Tablets

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You shouldn't be supplementing with anything your vet doesn't specifically ask you to do so with.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Many fresh foods contain calcium such as broccoli. Also, cuttlebones will give calcium as well. I'd go the natural route as well. Natural sunlight also aids in the absorbtion of calcium.

Over supplementation can also be bad unless you specifically know for sure. Pelleted diets also contain calcium.

Marie-France

Walking the driveway
Real Name
France Bégin
I would never give mine Tums, though Tom would be very happy of it I am sure!

What could be really good is nature Yogourt. My grays love it. What is great with yogourt is that the bacterias that transform the milk into yogourt digest the lactose in it, so there is almost no lactose. It is OK for birds, and full of calcium. You can even use probiotic yogourt. The bacterias in it are the same that are used in the probiotic mixes given to birds

Hubby was giving regularily milk to Tom, in quantities that should have given him diarrhea. But no diarrhea at all. It puzzled me a lot, until I understood that the probiotic bacterias colonized his intestines and digested the lactose for him. Cool, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.