• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caiques living with other birds

Matt97

Moving in
Real Name
matthew
I have a 4 year old female BHC and am interested in getting another bird. I have looked into getting a partner but only found information saying that she will either want to be with me or with her partner and will reject one of us, which i do not want. I am wondering if their are any specific types of parrots she can be in the same house with (not same cage) but be able to be out of the cage together. I would like to get a WBC as well or even have a isosexual pair of BHC's if i cannot have a pair as i want another bird roughly the same size and personality in terms of playfulness. Any recommendations?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Was that information general, or was it specific to caiques? I haven’t heard that. Some others here have several and will tell you.

I don’t think they play well with anything other than their own species. Caiques are rough players.

Let’s tag some people who own multiples. @Laurie @Irishj9

Matt97

Moving in
Real Name
matthew
I wouldn't mind another species of bird or just another caique. im not sure whether i want another caique or a different species yet. But i do want another friend for my caique

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
In my experience Caiques will eventually turn on other species and kill them

There is no other way to sugar coat this truth, which people do not want to hear

You have been warned. MANY times.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I have a 4 year old female BHC and am interested in getting another bird. I have looked into getting a partner but only found information saying that she will either want to be with me or with her partner and will reject one of us, which i do not want. I am wondering if their are any specific types of parrots she can be in the same house with (not same cage) but be able to be out of the cage together. I would like to get a WBC as well or even have a isosexual pair of BHC's if i cannot have a pair as i want another bird roughly the same size and personality in terms of playfulness. Any recommendations?
Caiques will generally retain their bond with people even with another caique.

First of all, as you probably know, there is no predicting whether a caique will like the new bird or not so get the bird for you not them. That being said they will enjoy one another's company even if from afar.

Your best bet is another caique.

I have six, when they were young they all got along, as they matured things changed. Most have 1 or 2 others they like and 1 or 2 others they will literally try to kill if given the opportunity.

A male/female pair is more likely to get along than a same sex pair when especially when introduced as adults.

Every bird is different.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
caiques are unique. they don't lose the people bond if you introduce another caique.
Also, if they bond, they are so fun to watch play!! My girls keep me entertained daily!

Tim

Avenue Veteran
Get a second Caique! It’s so much fun and way easier! They will play together, and don’t lose their bond with you—one of the exceptional things about caiques!

Matt97

Moving in
Real Name
matthew
Thanks everyone for the replys.
Will a male white bellied caique be suitable? or should i stick with the same species?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Please do not cross the WBC with the BHC.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
In my experience Caiques will eventually turn on other species and kill them

There is no other way to sugar coat this truth, which people do not want to hear

You have been warned. MANY times.

I repeat the warning.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I agree that another caique would be your bet. I also suggest two separate cages.

My two play together but live in separate cages. Loki is manipulative and messes with Puck just to get my attention. Puck is usually sweet but she becomes a psycho bird sometimes, and when it happens I think she can hurt Loki, even though Loki is usually more dominant one. So I prefer them to be in separate cages. They get enough out of cage time together, and more than anything else, they both want to be on me and snuggle.

Matt97

Moving in
Real Name
matthew
Do you think i should get a male or another female?
I dont want them to breed but if its better to have a male i dont mind them being partners.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
If you have a BHC, it's best to get a male BHC. Accidental breedings can happen, and hybrids will occur.
I dont want them to breed but if its better to have a male i dont mind them being partners.
If you get a male WBC, you SHOULD be concerned. I love my hybrid lovebird, don't get me wrong, but hybridization can really mess with a bird's head and cause health problems later on in life. And certain subspecies of the WBC are listed as endangered, and shouldn't be bred with the BHC, which is listed as least concerned.

Matt97

Moving in
Real Name
matthew
i think im going to stick with the same species to decrease the chance of them harming eachother, but not sure whether to get a male or another female

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have a young female, and a breeder here in FL advised me to get a second female. He said "if you want them to live in the same cage" get a female. Others have contradicted that. So I am confused.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Just be prepared that there is a risk they wont get along. I took care of a female caique, but my male caique went after her. He was too bonded to me. He was not happy seeing me cuddle her. I was hoping to keep her but could not take care of two needy independent caiques (in addition to three needy conures).

Be very careful with the introduction. I imagine if you get a baby, it might go better, as the baby may not be aggressive to your female. However, she may be aggressive towards the baby, so watch very very very closely. My male caique used to go after any new bird in the house. He was fearless and would hunt them down. He would not sleep or eat. I have never seen anything like it. At 15 years of age, he seems to have calmed down, but I still take no chances. If they do not get along, you may have two needy birds on your hands, which might not be terrible if you can afford each bird the time it needs. Hopefully, your female will accept the new bird. I wish my male would have gotten along with the female as I think both he and I would have been happier.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I agree with @rockybird! I'm fostering a female caique named Magic and Charlie my caique is so jealous, he wants to kill her! She's always wolf whistling to him and making kissy noises to him showing she's interested. Charlie, however, wants her gone. In his view, I should not be holding any bird but him. So now, I split my time between the birds' room where my small ones are, the living room where Charlie is and the spare room where Magic is quarantined. They've passed each other long distance and Charlie flew out of my daughter's hands to attack. He couldn't make the distance (lol) but the point is, it will take a lot of time.

I can't wait and hope that eventually they will get along. If not, I'm going to be one skinny crazy bird person!