• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Caique with Fainting or Seizure - With Video - No Vet Dx

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor little guy, I hope you get some answers soon!:sadhug2:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I watched the videos three times and can only come up with that he is having minor seizures. My Hank had moderate seizures for a few weeks and we found that they were due to low sugar, so easy to cure. As soon as Hank would start seizing I would put him in the oxygen box and he would recover in 30 min.s or so.

Your Toc really needs an xray, CBC and Chem panel. Anesthesia is a slam dunk nowadays and my birds have been anesthetized many time with no detrimental effects. Having those tests will most likely give your vet a direction to go in.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Hi Milo - Agree with everything you mentioned. I do think it's time we do an xray. If it was just a muscle pull or nerve injury it should be resolved. If anything it will give me peace of mind. I'm also thinking I should look into Aspergillus as well - but I don't see him in any other form of distress. My heart break for the little guy, he clearly knows something is going on because he tries to get himself in a low position, I'm just grateful he keeps bouncing back - I would do anything to prevent this from being permanent.

Waiting to hear from the vet.
I"m less inclined to think it's being caused by something like a granuloma caused by asper. My previous eclectus, Wyatt, lost his life to asper and before we knew what we were dealing with he had consistent lameness and was never totally normal. The fact that your kiddo returns to a normal state after the episodes seems to point to either nerve or a vascular issue.

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Wow pretty scary for you and him both. Hope the X-rays will give some answers

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
I thought it was interesting that he went to the bottom of the cage before this happened, as if it knew something was wrong and it went down there to be on stable ground.
But it also looked like he got scared of something as others mentioned.

Did it go to the bottom of the cage both times it happened? That might be something to look for as well.