• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique people!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I dont weigh mine at all. Im sure the vet does when they go for checkups.

I am a cyclist, so I eat like a horse. Calories out = calories in. I use the same approach with my babies. Big flights, lots of playtime and branches to destroy all day

They get plenty of food, but only the good stuff. so far no vet has ever told me my birds are overweight.

( Though One did make a pass at Thumper)
Weights are good to have but they are really more useful if you have a record for the individual bird. A good vet does will weigh your bird but it is not really to see if they are over or underweight. They will handle your bird and feel the birds chest to determine the body condition.

A bird in condition will have a full chest but you will still be able to find the keel bone. If the keel bone is sharp, protruding or very pronounced it indicates that the bird is underweight. If the you can't find the keel bone under all that chest fat then, well, you guessed it your bird is fat ;)

Cassiopejaz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Jack have been weighted 1 time for just 2 weeks ago and he weighted 158g and he is 9 months old

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Weights are good to have but they are really more useful if you have a record for the individual bird. A good vet does will weigh your bird but it is not really to see if they are over or underweight. They will handle your bird and feel the birds chest to determine the body condition./QUOTE]

Thats exactly what he does, though all the babies havent been to the vet yet.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@Irishj9 speaking of how is Thumper doing? Still getting looks from the vet?

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
After dinner she weighs 222 grams! Her keel bone is not visible and she has breasts...
I cannot stop laughing. I have been for 10 minutes. This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time! Sorry if I'm off, I'm just now reading past posts and catching up. :rofl: