• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique owner of 2 months

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If I get another caique should it be a female or male.
First I will say this.
I am a person that really believe in having two is the best because a parrot will need you 24/7.
I always trying to convince people to get a second one so it doesn't need to be alone when you away from home.
But you spend time with your parrot all her awake hrs so I can't see how this parrot he ever will be unhappy unless you later starting to leave her.

Perhaps you can make it easier for her when she gets hormonal. But it can also be a nightmare for several reasons.
If she seems happy now and enjoying her life with you think twice about getting a second one.

I will end this with.
I never thought that I would make a post like this.

Steff

Meeting neighbors
First I will say this.
I am a person that really believe in having two is the best because a parrot will need you 24/7.
I always trying to convince people to get a second one so it doesn't need to be alone when you away from home.
But you spend time with your parrot all her awake hrs so I can't see how this parrot he ever will be unhappy unless you later starting to leave her.

Perhaps you can make it easier for her when she gets hormonal. But it can also be a nightmare for several reasons.
If she seems happy now and enjoying her life with you think twice about getting a second one.

I will end this with.
I never thought that I would make a post like this.
Thank you let me start by saying I love her dearly and am trying to do what is best for her. I use to leave her home when I went to work for the first week when my mom asked me to take her but I noticed she seemed sad so I rearranged my life and work for her to come with me. I think that’s why I’m so paranoid about the hormonal stage I want to make it easier on both of us. I really appreciate everybody’s help and I think Nancy would agree.

Attachments

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
You can buy her a ton of easily destroyed toys from our great vendors on AA. Look in the marketplace stickies

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Joey is a single Caique. He will be 7 in March. For the most part he is a very happy guy. I do wish that I had gotten him a companion when I first got him.

He does share a room with my 2 cockatiels but they are always separated from him. When I have Joey in another room, he will contact call them.
He does spend about 4 hours of cage time while I am busy.

May I suggest that you give him some “alone” time in his cage. Provide lots of foraging opportunities, pine/balsa toys to demolish, music or television to watch. It will prepare your caique for when you have to be away.

My situation is not ideal but we manage.
You will learn how to recognize and handle hormonal peaks to avoid getting bites. Mostly, I allow Joey to be and adjust my behavior around him during those times.
I love him so much, as your Nancy.

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I have two monthly subscription toy orders from T4w and Nutz

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Do you have a vet for her? An established relationship with an avian vet is very important I can’t stress it enough!

Steff

Meeting neighbors
Do you have a vet for her? An established relationship with an avian vet is very important I can’t stress it enough!
Yes she does so far so good. I have to say though she hates him and strangers.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
If I get another caique should it be a female or male.
Bearing in mind that IMHO they need a sexual release, id say male

Stop worrying about babies. They are not easy to breed

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
I will state from experience that it can be a little hard to pick the sex of your new bird. Usually you already have a deposit on the bird before the baby can be DNA sexed.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Congrats on your Caique, they are awesome bundles energy. I have a Red Bellied parrot - Keoki and had a rescue parakeet - Gary. Two birds was just too much for me. My daughter has Gary now, he is so happy and spoiled. While they did keep each other company, now both birds are single birds. She has a lot of birds in the trees at her home, that he interacts with from a distance while she is at work. Keoki doesn’t seem to mind playing and interacting with me and my husband everyday. He is in his cage when we are not at home, but the rest of the time he is either on his playtop, his bungees, play stand, or on one of us. I do have a travel cage all set up for him, mostly in case of emergencies, but he sleeps cagefree on a bungee in our bedroom. He likes to go to bed about 7:30pm until 7:30am. He isn’t flighted (yet) but if he was he’d put himself to bed. When he starts making a certain begging sound (like clockwork) he’s ready for bedtime. He is so quiet in the mornings, and perfectly content playing quietly by him self until I get up. He never disturbs me, at least so far. I think the needs of each bird is different. Maybe things will change later on down the road, but for us now why ruin a good thing. Keoki likes looking at other birds outside but he has no interest in interacting. On a nice warm day I am going to take him outside in his travel cage and see how he reacts. Gary loves being outdoors, Keoki not so much.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
@Steff
You did the right thing by asking for feedback and making a decision based on your situation.
Also a good idea not to rush into anything.
There are many ways to add enrichment to a single caique’s life.
Enjoy your baby!