• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique owner of 2 months

Steff

Meeting neighbors
hi everybody I have a caique that’s 1 years old her name is Nancy Olsen (from little house on the prairie) her name fits her very well. I got Nancy because my mother who use to own birds when I was younger decided to get a new bird. She got Nancy because the lady at the pet store really sold her on it (it’s just like a puppy dog) well her dog at home didn’t feel the same way and any chance the dog got would try to go in for the kill and so would Nancy right back at him. Needless to say she couldn’t live like that and she was going to Rehome her well that didn’t work considering anyone that wasn’t family she tried to bite. I decided to take her as I couldn’t bare to see her unhappy so she’s been my little buddy for a couple months now. I have done nothing but research caiques since which I have to say sometimes scares me. I do have a couple of questions for fellow bird owners.
1. I don’t have her a companion and I keep going back and forth about getting her a friend but what I read doesn’t guarantee that she will take to her friend. The one good thing about my job is she comes to work with me everyday I keep her out of her cage 12 hours with me and she goes to bed in her room 12 hours for sleep. I would love someone’s opinion if I should get her another caique friend and if so should it be male or female.
2. I have her sleep in a dark room with a nightlight on the other side of the room for 12 hours is that ok?
3. At work she has a very large cage that she can go in and out all day or just hang with me because we are in the same room. In my living room she has a perch with all kinds of toys. her sleeping cage it’s not huge but I feel like she just sleeps in it as she doesn’t even potty in it is that ok or should I get another large cage for sleeping?
I know I have more questions but I want to thank everybody for your time Nancy thanks you to.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
hi Steff! Nancy is very lucky to have your constant companionship. I don't think she needs a friend.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thank you that questioned has plagued me because I just want her to be happy.
if you get another caique they could become good friends or sworn enemies out to kill each other. You have a good thing going. And she doesn't need a large cage to sleep in. You are doing just fine!

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
My caiques get along but I can't trust them totally unsupervised, especially when they are hormonal (they are both female). If you get another you'd need a separate cage. There's also jealousy. Your bird has your attention all day, I doubt she'll be thrilled to share you with an outsider.

Steff

Meeting neighbors
Thanks I really don’t want another caique because she’s a handful as it is but everywhere I read they say you should have 2. Right now I’m trying to type and she is jumping on my iPad then going into my shirt I can’t imagine having 2.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks I really don’t want another caique because she’s a handful as it is but everywhere I read they say you should have 2. Right now I’m trying to type and she is jumping on my iPad then going into my shirt I can’t imagine having 2.
two is when you are gone for hours everyday. i have two who i got when they were babies so they are bonded. At the time I was gone 9 hrs a day and they kept each other company. You are blessed with your environment so just enjoy her :heart:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:hello1:
Nancy is very pretty!

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Sounds like a perfect arrangement to me and I definitely would not add another caique. Your very fortunate to have the ability to take her with you to work. Sound like you should not change a thing.

Steff

Meeting neighbors
Thanks everybody. I love your saying (just do what the caique want .... well that how I live my life with her because when she wants something you better watch out.
Could someone let me know how many hours a day you let your bird sleep. I let Nancy have 12 hours I thought I read somewhere that’s what they need. Just a side note I give her 12 hours because she does not nap at all.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Yes kai gets 12 hours as well. 730p to 730a been that way since we got him 8 years ago.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Mine sleep from 9 pm to 7 am

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Could someone let me know how many hours a day you let your bird sleep.
Mine sleep 12 hrs but in their regular cages. So if they woke up before me they have all their toys and food.
I wouldn't feel comfortable to put a bird in a small cage for 12 hrs. And I don't like sleeping cages at all.
Here in Sweden we don't use them as that is against our law. The minimum cage for a Caique here is width 90 cm.
I keep her out of her cage 12 hours with me and she goes to bed in her room 12 hours for sleep.
Nancy is a lucky lucky bird! :) I would love to see pics of her.

Steff

Meeting neighbors
I shouldn’t call it small but it’s not her regular cage it’s in her bedroom for sleep I got it from amazon here is a pic. Her play cage is much larger in the living room. But do you think I should get her a bigger cage for sleeping. Thanks for all the help she’s just so different from the parrot I grew up with.

Attachments

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
But do you think I should get her a bigger cage for sleeping.
No! That is a big sleeping cage. Great! :)
She is adorable! ♥

When others say sleeping cage here, this is what they mean: (travel cage)
And you see, no food and no water. That's why I don't like it. What if something happen to you at night?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
You are fine for now

You are not fine for two years time, when this bird becomes HIGHLY SEXUAL

You need to plan for this if you dont want to be her mate and suffer the tantrums which come from sexual frustration

Steff

Meeting neighbors
You are fine for now

You are not fine for two years time, when this bird becomes HIGHLY SEXUAL

You need to plan for this if you dont want to be her mate and suffer the tantrums which come from sexual frustration
I think my problem is that if I get another caique what if she doesn’t like him/her.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I think my problem is that if I get another caique what if she doesn’t like him/her.
That is the issue, and it can be a major problem

But caiques are much more accepting of newcomers when they are younger IE before 2 years old

Its still a minefield and has to be handled correctly

Steff

Meeting neighbors
That is the issue, and it can be a major problem

But caiques are much more accepting of newcomers when they are younger IE before 2 years old

Its still a minefield and has to be handled correctly
If I get another caique should it be a female or male.