• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique noise level

Caerus the gcc

Sitting on the front steps
Hello, I am wanting to add a new.flock member in the next month of 2, and one species that has been on my radar are Caiques. I know they can be terrors, but other then my part time job, I am home most of the time. I have alot of parrot experience and feel like I would be willing to take the challenge. My only concern when getting a new bird, is noise level. About how loud can Caiques be? I live in an apartment, I have had no complaints and my 3 cockatiels have some really noise moments. TIA

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Hello!!
I recently posted a video of mine "singing" in the kitchen. She can be VERY loud when she is hungry or wants attention. Her screams are high pitched and make my ears hurt lol luckily she only scream when she wants something obvious.
I'm not sure that her noise level would work in an apartment unless the walls were well insulated:p

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
We live in an apartment with a caique. Would not recommend tbh.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@finchly that is hilarious. I also would love a caique but I don't think I could be a good parront because of the noise. Bless those that have and care for caiques-they have so much character and I do believe you when you say they could peel paint.

Caerus the gcc

Sitting on the front steps
Thank you! After even just a small amount of research, I've decided mostly because noise I'll wait on a caique until I live in an actual house! Plus I'd be worried about puberty and turning on me possibly. I think poicephalus are winning atm, I have to compare them a bit to green cheeks more!

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Charlie is pretty loud. Especially when he wants something. He also likes to scream at the top of his lungs in the morning and evening. I believe this is natural in the wild and some continue it. Sometimes he's really quiet and plays by himself really well for hours. Then all of a sudden he wants me and then he's clingy and loves to scream on top of my head.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Charlie is pretty loud. Especially when he wants something. He also likes to scream at the top of his lungs in the morning and evening. I believe this is natural in the wild and some continue it. Sometimes he's really quiet and plays by himself really well for hours. Then all of a sudden he wants me and then he's clingy and loves to scream on top of my head.
Yep! Mia is the same way, I don't let her on my head though so instead she screams directly in my ear on my shoulder... pretty sure I have hearing loss now!

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I've never had a caique, so can't really advise here. But I do have a sun conure and she is intent on shattering all the glass in the house! :lol: In all seriousness, though, this is so dependent on the specific parrot. Sure, a given species shares certain traits and tend to be one way or another. But I would rather err on the side of a parrot being noisy and loud. That's what they do in the wild and a very normal behavior for them. So unless you find a caique that needs to be rescued or re-homed (and that you could then assess from previous history how quiet/loud/etc.), I would assume they can be very loud, especially in an apartment setting. Hope this helps and best of luck!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I pass by a house every day where they have a black headed caique, his cage is in front of ghe window and I can hear when he is screaming when I am still about hundred meters away from his house. I would say pretty loud:embarassed:

Cassiopejaz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Jack can be Loud...but only when he wants something...i live in an apartment with a Meyer and a Caique....his scream is high pitched..and ofc he screams most at morning to wake me up...cuz he is hunhry then and want his food ;)

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
This doesn't really help much because we rented a house before we just moved into our first house (no neighbors on either side of us for like a half a mile LOL). Anywho, when we rented the house if I came back during the day....the only birds I heard inside the house from OUTSIDE the house with all the doors and windows closed was my parakeets and my quaker. Tidsy my caique has one terrible call and its the call like others have said above "when she wants something" it is very specific though and easy to remedy with attention or if im busy cooking then I will temp cover her cage whilist rewarding her with some sort of nom to keep her busy. Ya don't need neighbors to get annoyed by that "i want something call" its intended to cause you agony until you do something about it. lol I have heard horror stories about how loud caiques can be but Tidsy its only that one call with her "eeeee! ee-ee-ee-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" and believe me she can keep it going....lol! For the most part when she's not out exploring or wrestling with me she makes happy noises in her cage which remind me of the classic pirate noises on cartoons like little grrs and grumbles esp if she's enjoying her fresh fruits and veggies. Like someone else said above I believe it is each individual bird...because the ee call is easy to fix giving her what she wants or in a quick flash (like on the phone with an important call or cooking dinner) a cage cover. I stay and work at home and I hate when I do actually have to leave Tidsy because she really truly wants to be with me all the time. I'm actually getting a macaw soon from a lady who realized having a macaw in an apartment is a very very bad idea esp when she works away from home full time. Tidsy herself was adopted out to me because they said their apartment didn't allow her, which may have been the case but via body language of her previous owner I can tell it was mainly fear of her hormonal state that made the decision for them...reason being...the house we rented.....took us a long time to find, and it had to be a landlord that allowed our pets which can be a rarity for us, esp having so many critters. Caiques imo are like other parrots though they require a lot of dedication and they really suffer without it. She has my heart on a string...went from ALSO being afraid of her, to being able to wrestle with her with my bare hands and she plays like a well trained puppy lol! They are indeed amazing birds...I would love another someday.

Caique-Walk

Meeting neighbors
My little Charlie likes to sing* (destroy eardrums) in the shower....
Pretty sure the whole neighbourhood can hear him lol

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Joey’s flock calls are quite alarming. But other than that it is chortles and giggles and talking.
My tiels are noisier and vocalize more often.