• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique nibbling his own shoulder

HazelParrott

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, Our caique sometimes nibbles his right shoulder whilst he is playing. As he does this, he makes a squabbling noise. We are wondering if this is just because he is a bit over-excited or whether there is another underlying cause such as a pain in his shoulder which is aggravating him. We have had him since he was about 2 or 3 years old and he is now about 10 years old. He has always done this squabbling-shoulder-nibbling behaviour on odd occasions. Any ideas, please?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you feel if there's anything there that might be bothering him? Does he fly?

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I think it’s just a Caique “I’m pissed off at the world including my shoulder!!” Thing. As long as he’s not hurting himself, or pulling out feathers, I think it’s normal.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I think it’s just a Caique “I’m pissed off at the world including my shoulder!!"
LOL!! So true!

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
I think it’s just a Caique “I’m pissed off at the world including my shoulder!!” Thing. As long as he’s not hurting himself, or pulling out feathers, I think it’s normal.
Aint it the truth! My baby does the same thing and I'm like knock it the heck off! Glad to know I'm not alone. :>

Maria_604

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
My 10 year old rescue caique does this exact same thing! Usually when preening or when I'm scratching his head, it's like he gets overexcited and grouchy and takes it out on his own wing, shoulder or leg. He makes aggressive type beak motions at it while doing his "I'm angry" screechy squeaky noise but doesn't actually attack/bite himself properly.