• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique Info

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
Hello again everyone. Update from last post. The older Caique ended up getting purchased. So we put a deposit down on to reserve a new baby. They should be arriving in a few weeks. They have White bellied and Black heads. We are leaning more towards a black head. But some questions were, is there much difference between the species. Also between sexes. Will post pictures once we decide. Just wanting to gain as much information as possible. Thanks again.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My understanding is that White Bellies are a little more even keel and less "bipolar" than the black heads. Either species can be sort of crazy during their first hormones. @Laurie and @Irishj9 are our resident Caique experts!

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
Thanks. From what I have read I have heard some people say the same thing. Just wondering if anyone out there has had or currently has once of each.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Thanks. From what I have read I have heard some people say the same thing. Just wondering if anyone out there has had or currently has once of each.
It is definitely true of my birds but I think it is inaccurate to draw conclusions from a handful of birds. I have four white bellieds and two black capped.

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
So would you say that you’re white bellied are more easy going? Have you experienced the hormonal stage with both. Also any difference between male and female. I understand that all birds are different but we want to know as much as possible. Thank you again all you’re feed back

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Hi, Jason,
My boy Joey is pretty easy going. He is a single caique though I wish I had gotten him a friend when I first got him.
He is a happy boy to play by himself and happy to hang out with me. But I think he could have more caique fun if he had a friend.
Right now he is very hormonal. So I have to very mindful of his mood which can change in a second. I am his mate and his enemy (when I try to clean his cage).
He doesn’t scream except for flock calling in the morning, evening and when he hears the neighbor’s kids screaming.
Good luck in finding your match!

You might revisit this post:
The good, the bad, and the ugly about caiques | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
Yes. I have read about wether or not to have one or two. I think unfortunately my boyfriend and I can only afford one. Which we intend on giving as much of our time and attention to as possible. As well as providing a large cage with a variety of toys to keep him busy and entertained. I must say reading the forms I am a bit nervous. We both agree that the Caique parrot has so many of the qualities we are looking for in size and personality, plus esthetics to say the least. Just know they can be a handful even with the most experienced of parrot owners. Please keep information coming again it is all very much appreciated.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Hi all. I don't have any black heads, only green thighed and white bellied.

IMHO there is no intra species difference in temperament.

But individual birds differ markedly from the mean