• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique HELP!!

Mo1190

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello all!
Name is Mo and i am VERY new to my bird and this forum thing lol (forgive me)
I Have recently been given an 11 yr old Female Caique that i use to see almost everyday but now she lives with me. We are not entirely new to eachother but still. So she has been with me for 2 weeks now and let me say a few things..she is a BRAT! She is extremely aggressive. All she does is hiss. Even when i hold her or feed her something yummy. She bites everyone and everything. SHe also has it out bad for my 10 yr old son but shes alright with my 4 yr old son...weird. I want to try and get her to play and be more social and maybe not bite so hard but i need help. the whole time i was growing up we had a bird in the house. MY dad was big on them. So i kind of know what im doing but i could also use some help so here i am! Hello Friends! please help lol

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Hello all!
Name is Mo and i am VERY new to my bird and this forum thing lol (forgive me)
I Have recently been given an 11 yr old Female Caique that i use to see almost everyday but now she lives with me. We are not entirely new to eachother but still. So she has been with me for 2 weeks now and let me say a few things..she is a BRAT! She is extremely aggressive. All she does is hiss. Even when i hold her or feed her something yummy. She bites everyone and everything. SHe also has it out bad for my 10 yr old son but shes alright with my 4 yr old son...weird. I want to try and get her to play and be more social and maybe not bite so hard but i need help. the whole time i was growing up we had a bird in the house. MY dad was big on them. So i kind of know what im doing but i could also use some help so here i am! Hello Friends! please help lol
Were they like that when you were with them? If not maybe their grieving their past owner.

Mo1190

Checking out the neighborhood
She has always been kind of a butt. I just love her though. I just want her to be happy and I’m not sure if I’m doing that. She has a giant cage. She’s out most of the time. Toys galore. Interaction and love

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
It has only been two weeks, it can take much longer than that for birds to settle. Just because she knows you doesn't mean that moving in with you isn't a big change for her. I think it's great that you joined and welcome! If you're open to it, we'd love to see pictures of her. What's her name?

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcomesign: to the Avenue Mo! What is your Caique's name?

It may sound a bit like begging the question, but the best way to avoid a bite, is to avoid the bite. That means doing everything in your power not to let circumstances progress to the stage where your Caique feels she needs to bite. She will give plenty of body language beforehand to say she is not comfortable with what you are doing. Try to recognise and heed it. If she hisses when you hold her, don't hold her yet. Just let her settle in and try to pair yourself with as many good experiences as possible for her... eg feeding her favourite treats, etc. Watch what she picks out from the food bowl first - these will be her favourite things. Then remove them from the bowl and use them as treats throughout the day. That way she will look forward to your presence and will gradually want to interact and be sociable with you.

Love that she has a huge cage and toys. Like others, would love to see a pic of her.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Mo :fairy2:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Welcome. Congrats on you caique.

Please forgive my direct tone here, it's meant to be. Little tongue in cheek but only a little

I agree with Fuzzy 100 percent.

I will also add that if you are getting bit then your bird is not ready for that interaction. If your bird is attacking people then it is not ready to be out with free run of the house and If my bird attacked my 10 year old I would not let it interact with my four year old.

It's all just too much, too soon. I know you have had birds all you life but I promise you that's no gaurantee that you will know how to handle every situation. I imagine an 11 year old caique in a new home can certainly give you a run for your money and if you think she is a butt then you'll never get anything better from her.

I've had birds my whole life and honestly everything I learned growing up 20-30 years ago was way wrong and is generally seen as outdated today. Fortunately before I brought home my first caique I started to study, not just read the internet, all about using positive reinforcement training with birds. It totally changed my viewpoint and my life with birds. I couldn't have caiques without it. Check out Lara Joseph, Barbara Heidenriech and positive reinforcement training (Google it) and you be o. The right path

To start I would find out what treats she can't resist and then pick out one or two things you want to work with her on. Then hop on over to the training court forum and ask about those things. You should get some food advice.

You really can't make a caique do anything it doesn't want to do but the good news is you can make them want to do the things that you like

Again welcome! Peaches, Turbo, Quakers, Bandit Rainey and Ember all say hello. Their little baby caiques , Bella, Beau, Bea and Monkey may pop in to say hi later too. We're into caiques up to our ears over here. I sure you'll be able to sort out one little hen.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi there and welcome!
I'm owned by 2 bratty caiques, along with a few other species. Listen to Laurie's advice, she definitely knows her stuff and does a great job with hers.

One of mine has recently begun to fly at my husband and attack him. She gets on the back of his neck and gives at least 3 BAD bites before I can get to him usually. So now I have to limit their out of cage time - it's an open concept house so there are few places to go that she can't get to him. Very frustrating - all that is to say I understand what you're going through. ;)

One thing my birds have taught me is that their time is not our time. You might bring one in and think okay you've been here two days, come out of your cage. But the bird needs 2 weeks (or whatever) so he's thinking this is still a scary place. Caiques are strange little critters, so try to let her choose what to do / when.

Best of luck to you. I hope you stay around - and keep asking questions!