• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique diet/pellets?

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
What are you thoughts/suggestions on brand of pellets to incorporate into a Caiques diet. He is being offered Tops at the moment but know there are others out there. Thanks.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
All our birds including our Caiques get a well balanced chop in the morning then in the evening they get TOP's organic pellets. We have tried Zupreem, Roudybush, Harrisons and a few others but like the cold pressed pellets that TOP's has. We are in South Florida and our birds are outside so they get plenty of sunshine so we don't need the Vitamin D.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here's most of the pellets available in the US: Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys

TOPS is a good pellet with great ingredients! I can't get mine out for 6+ months of the year due to my location, so I need a pellet with D3. All except TOPS and Goldenfeast offer this. You can also use a vitamin supplement to make up the difference and maintain the use of TOPS.

A recent article I wrote about D3: Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well tops is a good food...just make sure he gets some outside sun or D3 suppl

Actually Cakes are supposed to be closely related to hawkheads...I don;t know...Still trying to get Penny to eat Pellets & have 5 kinds.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Joey likes Higgins Intune. But recently he did eat some Lafeber pellets.
He also gets Volkman Birdeez buffet and fresh veggies.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Due to multiple birds with varied taste, I have many brands here. The cakes are getting zupreem, tops, and roudybush. It’s the smallest roudybush pellet. That’s the main one they get. Captain Jack puts all the yellow zupreem pellets in his water, apparently yellow is not his thing.

They also get a tiny bit of seed as a treat, nutriberries, and chop. The LOVE baby bell peppers stuffed with chop; they can hold it to eat it. But - warning - a lot of it will end up in the water bowl.

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
Thank you everyone formyoure input. He seems to like the Tops at the moment and is currently being introduced to fruits and veggies as well and enjoying them as well!

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
My caique was weaned onto Zupreem Fruit Blend, and I had no troubles switching him over to Zupreem Natural when I brought him home.

Right now he gets a mixture of chop, Roudybush (maintenance or california blend), Zupreem Natural, Caitec Oven Fresh Bites, and a small amount of enrichment foods like Zupreem Pure Fun/Sensible Seed or Hagen Tropimix. He has also been on Tropican Lifetime granules and Harrison's, though they were slightly less liked. His favourite remains Zupreem, but he'll tolerate eating the others once he's polished off his favourites.