• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique decisions - Vet recommendations

What is your opinion on playtop cages?

• They are fantastic! Love them!

• Wish I had bought one...

• Indifferent

• I think they're fine, I just dont care for one personally.

• Bought one, and wish I hadn't...

• Dr Burkett is absolutely correct! They should be avoided at all costs!

Results are only viewable after voting.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I also see Dr. Burkett and he is old school, so you have to take his advice in a certain way.
This is very true. Dr. Burkett's reputation in the avian world is legendary but he is a little old school. But that's only because he's getting old. :) One thing he has that can not be replaced is experience. Hands on, down in the trench medicine. I admire him a great deal.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Suzanne, do you cage your two MM2s together?
Yes I do ,Isabelle is two years old, Bentley is 16 yrs. Old , He's pretty much a perch potato. Before Isabelle joined our family Bentley shared his living spaces with my Galah, Kiwi, R.I.P. for 14 years. He is a mellow boy ,let's the girls have their way :joyful: .

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I misspoke: I have one flat top corner cage, which I also like...except when I have to clean it.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I think that in your gut, you know which situation you'd like to try. You can get all the advice in the world, but no one's anecdotal experiences, while useful, will equal what you experience with your bird or birds. And if you're trying for perfect, that ain't gonna happen. ;) Go with your gut, get the toys and cage or cages you desire, & search for your future feathered buddy.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It's is interesting reading his comments, and I agree that his views are old school. I am not sure that I agree with everything he says.

I doubt that you will be able to get your caique to stay on top of a play top cage. For this reason, I have to move my caique around the house with me, or he will climb or flutter down onto the ground and follow me where ever I go.

He has a large (4 ft. X 30") cage in a bird room. I make sure he has views out the window. It is flat top, but since he is in his cage so much, I do not have him play on top of it. I want all of his out-of-cage time to be away from the cage he is confined in for hours every day (and so does he). So the bird room is only for in cage time. (Now if I had a set up like Saroj that would be different!).

He has an avian adventures chiquita play top cage to eat on top of in the dining area (he will only sit on top of this cage long enough to take a couple bites and then he climbs to the floor). He gets the whole kitchen island to himself at dinner. (We eat together there). He is all over it hopping, getting into whatever I have out, trying to prompt me to chase him with my hand. He sometimes flutters to the floor (but is mostly focused on eating his food, eating my food, and wrestling). He gets the bathroom counter to himself (and has managed to shove one sink drain in so far that it needs a plumber...for the second time). He has a night cage near the bedroom for sleeping. He has a stroller. He also spends a lot of time running around the floor of the house. I try to keep an eye on him when down, and he tries to keep me in sight. But every now and then I will find him in the shower, with the drain disassembled...So I guess what I am saying, is that I would recommend one large cage (the largest you can find) and lots of spots around the house for your bird to hang out with you. He will demand no less.

If your new bird is anything like mine, you will find that it needs constant stimulation and attention. It will want to be with you ALWAYS. It will get bored very easily. It can become aggressive and vocal (this happened at around 4 yrs of age) if it thinks you are not paying attn. to it, or following the established routine that is all about the bird. It will want to be the center of your life and it will not understand why it cannot be with you ALWAYS. I do not think this is the bird's fault in anyway. It is not a human, or a domesticated dog, but a flock oriented animal.

For these reasons, I would like to have had a second caique. I imagine my boy playing with her on the living room floor while I have my morning coffee (in peace). Or eating together and grooming each other while out; Chasing each other, surfing and romping around the house. I completely agree with Saroj as to the timing of a second caique.

I agree with the vet re: that bilevel cage. It is horrid. I hope he no longer keeps his wife's african grey in that cage, realizing its shortcomings.

I do not know that I agree with him completely as to diet. I think pellets are fine, as are nutriberries, but I think variety, including fruit and vegetables are important. If you look at the back of a caique's tongue, it is feathered. I cant help but wonder if they eat some nectar in the wild, and if so, fruits would seem to be an important part of the diet.

Whatever you do, dont forget that these are wild animals. You cannot mold them into little children (says the one with the stroller, lol). They want what they want and that is how it is. They weren't meant to live in cages in houses with walls and ceilings. But here they are now, and all you can do is try to keep them as well fed and stimulated as possible....for 30+ years.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I will say that most of what the vet recommends is either good advice, or understandable advice.

For example, he recommends 90% pellets; my vet recommends 80% pellets as well. That's because there are a lot of people, if given permission to feed a varied diet, will provide things like a seed mix and a slice of fruit, and it will cause nutritional problems down the line. Parrots have less specific nutritional needs than dogs or cats, being more omnivorous, but still, they are small animals that can be very good at begging/manipulating people into giving them lots of treats, so your vet emphasizing pellets is good advice. I think a fresh food diet with lots of veggies, greens, sprouts, ect. is still better, but he recommends pellets because that's the best thing for a lot of people. Like feeding kibble to a dog over a raw diet.

His recommendation against getting two caiques is likely also based on him (as a vet) seeing a lot of the worst care - often by uneducated but well-meaning owners. Two birds WILL bond to each other and be less bonded to you, that can be a good thing if you don't have lot of time to spend with them. But, if you don't have lots of time to spend with them, then you'll also have more trouble providing the individual attention they need if you want them to stay bonded to you. You may also have an issue down the line that they may start to see each other as mates and be aggressive towards you during the breeding season. This won't necessarily be the case, though. It's a tough choice as to whether you get one or two, really. I think the vet is probably right that you would want separate cages if you get two... you would need two cages while you introduce them anyway. You might try separate small sleep cages, and a larger shared aviary/play cage during the day, if you get two.

Also... that cage is not recommended, for the reasons he said. Regular playtop cages, with a flat top, are OK, though dark inside if you leave the tray in place. But those split level half playtops really are not very practical. Dometop cages provide the most inside space and look better imo - if you have room for a separate play area, then I would go for a dome top.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Like the others, I agree that his advice is good, but old school.

Just made me think of two male caiques, one white belly, one black headed. Don't know their ages, but both are very much handable! Aggression is minimal!

I also know someone else who has a male white bellied caique, and he's a righteous little terror! Unless he's in an unfamiliar situation, he will lunge, attack and bite! When he bites, he twists and chews! No doubt, he's out for harm! When in an unfamiliar situation, he's better behaved... doesn't mean he wont bite, but he's also not comfortable enough to react like he normally would at home... I think the issues here could be related to the owner, simply because the owner is inexperienced and doesn't know how to handle and train her birds. Her home life has also been unstable for the past couple of years... (hopefully, things are looking up now!) she even mentioned rehoming him because he is such a handful! Unfortunately, she can't have kids, so her pets *ARE* her kids. Last I heard, she has renewed her determination in getting him to calm down and behave better and they might be making some progress!!!!

My cages are flat top and dome top... mostly flat top! I'd *love* to have a playtop cage, if I can find one that I like! I *DO NOT* like "fancy" cages, so there are several play top cages I would avoid... and if light is ever an issue, I can always replace the tray with plexiglass or acrylic, or even glass! Wipe down and it's good! Light still goes right through it! So I don't feel as if that should be any deciding factor...

That said, if you get a flat top or dome top cage, you can always design your own playtop on top of it if you really wanted to! You wouldn't be stuck with one design! So again, it really shouldn't be that much of a deciding factor in choosing a cage...