• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique channeled aggression.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I saw someone post a video of their caique attacking a fork. He was really rolling around with it. Very angry at it.

I do not use human words like aggression and anger to describe what a bird is doing. The word is a label we put onto our birds. The bird species you are writing about love to play with most anything and they play hard. I don't think a bird playing with a fork is a bad behavior issue that should labeled to a particular species.

The Words You Choose to Describe Your Bird's Behavior | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

I do not use human words like aggression and anger to describe what a bird is doing. The word is a label we put onto our birds. The bird species you are writing about love to play with most anything and they play hard. I don't think a bird playing with a fork is a bad behavior issue that should labeled to a particular species.

The Words You Choose to Describe Your Bird's Behavior | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
I will add my response to the tread you linked in a moment.

This was not an adjective describing a bird. I do not think this bird is aggressive or a bad bird. I used a verb 'attack' to describe the action to humans. I think humans, specifically English speakers are the audience to the post. The verb 'play' is also a human word, in fact all of these words are human words. I am sorry that the word I chose frustrated you. I think it may have frustrated a few other people in this thread. This honestly wasn't my intention. I tried to make it lighthearted and even described marvel villains. This is NOT because I see a bird that way.

I didn't feel like I got a full picture of caiques.

My question was intended for caique owner's to share some of their experiences with their birds. I did receive feedback that helped me paint a better picture. Many sources do raise awareness on caique behaviour as being a bunch of negative. This didn't seem believable to me, so I asked my question. It wasn't intended to be inflammatory whatsoever.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
@Mockinbirdiva
...always an adventure in learning with Joey.
Today, he is back to his happy-go-lucky self.
Our rough times usually lasts a week, 2-3 times a year.
I give him a lot of space but always include him in the activities of the day.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
It is easy to tell if my caique wants to play with something or she wants to "kill" something!

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
My two Caiqs are still in the honeymoon phase I think. I can't add much yet. I do, however find they don't suffer fools and they expect you to learn their language fast. I have found my 4 yo tends to zone out on occasion. She will wrestle my hand,even though I am not moving and if I don't stop her will get rougher and rougher. This happens anytime the mood takes her. She is playing, its obvious, but she just goes into automatic pilot. They are super observant as well and anticipate my actions.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Mockinbirdiva
...always an adventure in learning with Joey.
Today, he is back to his happy-go-lucky self.
Our rough times usually lasts a week, 2-3 times a year.
I give him a lot of space but always include him in the activities of the day.
I can see why they are so adored. At one time I was looking for a young caique and gave up for the reason there were none available in my area. I'm glad I did. I love the my flock. The hopping cakes are too cute!

Zukeeper

Checking out the neighborhood
I have had my little guy for 22 years. His attacks are very specific and completely predictable. He seems to like all men but I am the one and only female he will allow in the room. When he sees another girl in the room he immediately starts fluffing his feathers, dragging his beak and competing for my attention. If he is not removed from the room, an attack is guaranteed. This includes dolls. I have no idea why he does this but it has been a behavior of his for as long as I can remember. It isn’t a problem because it’s all very predictable and preventable.