• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique channeled aggression.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I do not have a caique, but I am very attracted to them, the YouTube curse.

I saw someone post a video of their caique attacking a fork. He was really rolling around with it. Very angry at it. It was a nice example of what a caique emotional burst could be like. It was intense at first and then fizzled out, as he probably wanted to move to something else.

It made me wonder if caique's aggression can be channeled into something. Present a object for them to all out rage on.

For example when I trained my dog to not chew my belongings, I would introduce the more exciting fun chew toy when my dog was starting to show interest in the chair leg. In the end my dog never chewed anything except the toys. She was provided an outlet to channel her chewing needs. Really even with my parrots this works with chewing. They like a window to look out, I place a natural branch on the sill and it is simply more fun to stand on and chew than the window sill. As we all know the view is so much nicer from a branch :joyful:

If a caique has a nemesis that is an object he or she can maul to death, i.e a plush toy, will the bird have fewer aggressive outburst in situation where it isn't acceptable?

I understand that a caique will always be themselves. So please don't misunderstand this question, as controlling a bird's natural behaviour. I was just curious if anyone noticed something about their own birds. Maybe on a day they had an outburst, they will more chill the rest of the day. Are caique's like marvel villains? They need a nemesis to bring them purpose:geek:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm not terribly knowledgeable with caiques though I have read a couple of posts from caique owners where the owner was the "intent" of an (emotional burst if you will ) attack. So much so, their birds would hunt them down to attack in a harmful way. Could this behavior be redirected? Quite possibly not. I know when my amazon went through his hormonal rage for months... nothing could redirect his aggression towards me. Nothing. Freedom, food, toys... he simply did not want me in his territory and he was willing to do anything to drive me out including full on attacks.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I'm not so sure... I've been a caique's nemesis. Absolutely nothing I or her owners tried ever distracted or dissuaded her in the least from hunting me down. If she knew I was in the house visiting, it was her sole focus to find and destroy me. :scared5: Favorite toys and treats and people went completely ignored. She'd cross room after room to find me. :peek1: Her dedication was truly admirable.

:hangin:

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I found it best to remove the offensive object out of sight. They will calm down fairly quickly. If they do not like something or someone, they are determined to attack, and I do not think they give up easily (I do not sure because I never let them stay in their angry state too long).

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I have 6 caiques at present. Had up to nine at one stage. Currently I have a pair breeding in my front room.

No aggression. This is because caique aggression is entirely human created. It exists because the humans caused it

My eldest pair is 7 years old. Take an average number in my possession of 6. Multiply by 7 years. That gives you 42 caique years with NO AGRESSION

THE HUMANS need to channel some of their frustration with these creatures into a determination to learn their body language.

Thus avoiding agression

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Irishj9 That is all well and good. Since this question was not in regards to any single caique or a specific flaw that any human did, can you share more information? Human created aggression, how? What are the mistakes in cage set up or care that can be remedied? If I do get a caique in the future that information would be very helpful. I am a very bird oriented person. My current birds are not mistreated, I respect them very much as individual beings. Many of the warning against getting a caique have been in regards to aggression or mood swings. So I asked if the behaviour could be channeled into a pass time. Foraging is also a parrot behaviour, that can be channeled into play and food acquisition. I would warmly appreciate your input. 7 years without aggression, means you are doing something very bird positive that I am sure many people following this thread would love to hear more about. :wbc::geek:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Can't place 7 years posts on this thread.

Key points only:
1) Caiques are not puppies. They remain wild animals and WILL NOT TAKE ORDERS
2) They are highly sexual. Keep a single one and you will bear the brunt of those hormones
3) Babies will tolerate mammal cuddly beheaviour. Adults WILL NOT
4) No means nothing to a caique. Shouting NO means the silly human has lost her mind. no other effect
5) Threaten a caique and get attacked. They fear NOBODY
6) Caiques speak BODY LANGUAGE, not english. Learn it or fail to communicate adequately with them

Last edited:

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
My kai has agressive outbursts towards certain objects. I don’t really see it as a huge issue. As soon as it’s gone he is calm. But it’s things like vaccumes and brooms and certain other household objects. Sometimes we let him have the item that angers him and once he sees it’s not a threat he chills out. I guess that is looked at as encouraging his behavior but it seems to calm him down for the most part. I can see both sides of the arguement. I just do what feels right and what seems right at that moment. I’ve had him 8 years and he’s a
Good boy and In good health. He seems pretty well adjusted. The one thing about him is visitors to the house. Sometimes he tolerates and others not so much but I think that’s pretty much all parrots and depends on the season as well.

I’m also a bit over protective when visitors come over because it’s usually teens or adults that don’t have any bird experience and they tend to put off this fear vibe and I think kai reacts to that. I don’t want any incidents so I usually keep him away from any visitors until they have been over a few times. So sometimes I think that makes
Kai want to go agressive even more. He just senses the tension.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Irishj9 That sounds like all parrots.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Irishj9 So will a parrotlet. They are also fearless little parrots. Most of the problems people seem to have with parrotlets is doing the same things you mentioned. Not respecting them as parrot, but imagining them as cute play things.

Thank you for your time responding to the post.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
My kai has agressive outbursts towards certain objects. I don’t really see it as a huge issue. As soon as it’s gone he is calm. But it’s things like vaccumes and brooms and certain other household objects. Sometimes we let him have the item that angers him and once he sees it’s not a threat he chills out.
Mine are exactly the same with the hoover and floorbrush
I am exactly the same with A*hole drivers and wandering minstrels looking at the ceiling in a very busy checkout aisle

This is not demonic agression, It is normal and predictable

sweep the floor when they are in bed
Choose another supermarket

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thought this was appropriate for this thread

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I have learned not to behave in a way that will trigger Joey to get too worked up.
Otherwise excitement turns into over stimulation and attacking.
I try to figure out way to expend that energy to result in positive behavior.
Always best to have caiques pairs. I feel I did Joey wrong for not getting a mate early on.:unsure1:

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I would be most concerned about caiques possibly attacking other birds, especially smaller ones.
Caiques do not mix well with other species

It all looks great and the pics are wonderful, until the caique gives the other bird a SEVERE beating

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Caiques do not mix well with other species

It all looks great and the pics are wonderful, until the caique gives the other bird a SEVERE beating
This seems very similar to parrotlet mentality. Differently scaled, but similar mentality.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have learned not to behave in a way that will trigger Joey to get too worked up.
Otherwise excitement turns into over stimulation and attacking.
I try to figure out way to expend that energy to result in positive behavior.
Always best to have caiques pairs. I feel I did Joey wrong for not getting a mate early on.:unsure1:
At least you learned certain actions over stimulated him into trigger attack. If I were to take a guess... I'd guess the caique in the video is relatively young and the girl hasn't had it long enough for it to fully mature. I don't know if she realizes she's actually taunting it, she certainly knows it's going to attack her feet but still makes a game of it. When the crap hits the fan and he comes up off the floor in flight to attack... she's in deep doo doo. You know they make it count.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At least you learned certain actions over stimulated him into trigger attack. If I were to take a guess... I'd guess the caique in the video is relatively young and the girl hasn't had it long enough for it to fully mature. I don't know if she realizes she's actually taunting it, she certainly knows it's going to attack her feet but still makes a game of it. When the crap hits the fan and he comes up off the floor in flight to attack... she's in deep doo doo. You know they make it count.
Yeah, April has had Puffy the caique for 12 years I think, and he's in his early twenties I believe.