• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique breeding efforts - Round 3 - 2016

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
And we begin with one superstar chick from 2015, 5.5 weeks old and showing his first pin feathers on his wingtips.

Plus one new egg from Cha-Cha, laid on the last night of 2015/morning 2016. Here they are together
NYD2016 010.jpg

Sidbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
Aww so cute, I wish you luck with your chicks :) happy new year

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Good luck. Thumper is adorable.

Lisidou

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I am seriously in love with that baby! I declare myself his grandma! Er, Granbird! That sweet face!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I am seriously in love with that baby! I declare myself his grandma! Er, Granbird! That sweet face!
I think there may be some competition for that position, but a baby can never have enough Grandma's lol

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
OK and on to Cha-Cha's latest egg, arrived this morning. Remember I took her last egg because she had eaten the shell of the previous one. Her last egg was cold to the touch and over to the side of the nestbox. So I pulled it. No regrets.

On to this morning. Open nestbox, see new egg,its in the middle of the nestbox, pick it up, warm!, good looking, heavy. No damage. Warm means she looked after it after laying it, at least for a couple of hours?.

Rats!. Do I pull it or not?. I can leave it to see what she will do, except what she could do is begin eating it.

Replace it with a dummy egg you say? The same dummy egg that Soentjie ate for the calcium? ( or maybe to wind me up).

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
And in any case, Thumper will have to give up his residency in the incubator soon. He is getting big and stands up flapping his wings like a hummingbird. No doubt all part of natures plan to bring those new wing muscles up to speed.

He clambers about as well. leaving his little nestie and looking out at me (clear perspex lid on incubator) with those big intelligent eyes. Its HOT HOT here all day so he could easily be out playing on the carpet, he hardly needs a brooder, nekkid or not, but I'd rather he grew some feathers before chancing him out at nighttime

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well Cha-Cha has laid another egg last night. That's 3 eggs in the second clutch ( she abandoned the first). One in the incubator, two in the nest.

This is her 9th egg since Nov14th. Have to make sure she doesnt overdo it. I'm supplementing with calcium

Last edited:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I hope the babies do well and Cha-Cha calms down a little:hehe:. I must admit, Thumper is one of the cutest things I've ever seen. *Whisper* Don't tell my flock!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I hope the babies do well and Cha-Cha calms down a little:hehe:. I must admit, Thumper is one of the cutest things I've ever seen. *Whisper* Don't tell my flock!
I 2nd this.