• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique attacks feet!

Srjc~knights

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rebecca Knight
Hi everyone. I'm new here and this is my first post. We have just adopted a sweet 4 year old black headed caique. She has been well cared for, very loved, and handled daily before we got her (and now with us as well). We were warned when we got her that she goes after bare feet when cruising the ground, and boy does she ever! Like Jurassic park style! Lol. We love her regardless and just wear slippers or thick socks to protect against sneak attacks lol, but is there a way to kindly deter the habit she has had for years? We try to redirect her and keep her up on us or toys as she only goes after toes when on the ground (doesn't attack from above). Any suggestion for a new caique mom are welcome :) thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
All my gang like feet. I'd hesitate to use the word 'attack' though

They often follow me round the avairy, testing my feet and chewing on toes and slippers

They have a foot fetish lol. Its endearing. wear strong footwear, and if necessary, distract, distract, distract

Srjc~knights

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rebecca Knight
Thanks for your reply. While she nuzzles and nibbles on all other body parts, with toes she goes for blood. We will keep on doing what we are then. Thanks!

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
My female conures don't mind my feet but my male use to go for the toes. He doesnt do it anymore even though I can see through his body language that he wants too. The way I got him to stop was whenever I saw his posture change to want to by my feet, I would firmly call out his name to distract him and give him the stink eye until he took a step back. If he didnt step back, while I had his attention, I would slowly move my foot away from him. He now "tolerates" my toes as he likes to perch on my leg near my ankle when we watch TV. As long as he is entering my foot's "personal" space it is fine, but if my foot comes towards him he gets a little crabby.