• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caging together?

BigSky81

Moving in
Hi friends! So we have had Ozzy, our new male WBC (6mos old), for about three weeks now. We also have Tango, a female WBC (over 1 yr old), since October. Tango has a great personality, poops on command, playful, and doesn't bite. Ozzy on the other hand is a little temperamental and bitey when he doesn't get his way. Tango was like this at first so I'm sure quite a bit of this will subside with time and patience. My husband and I figured we'd cage them separately due to their sex.....we don't want to have babies. We've recently thought about caging them together for a few reasons. Ozzy, the baby, does NOT like to be away/separated from Tango. He is extremely vocal about it......like, holy crap my ears are going to explode, vocal. So I give up and put them together and it fixes the problem. Tango could care less either way. They are out of their cages most of the day when we are home on a large perch. They both get along great with no catastrophes. Another reason for caging them together is they seem to get along great.....they wrestle and play and it is quite entertaining.

Is it possible to cage these two together and not have babies? No nesting boxes or anything like that are in the cages to promote mating. They aren't of sexual maturity until around three or so I think anyway.

Does anybody have two that are male and female that cage together? How did you do it? Any problems?

Thanks!

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
:bump7:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Lots of problems. Right now these two are what you could consider brother and sister. Everything changes at maturity when hormones come into play. They may suddenly not want anything to do with the other.

If one bird is aggressive/dominant over the other, this puts a lot of stress on the other bird. "Always" needing to be on guard because the bird does not have any personal space to actually relax and let that guard down because they are housed together.

If they pair up you will have eggs and there will always be a risk that they are fertile. They don't need to be caged together to fly off somewhere for 1 minute and do the hanky panky.

You "will" need to practice birdy birth control (replace eggs with appropriate fakes).

Heather F

Some people here who have multiple birds who are friends/bonded have each with their own cage but they can choose their own sleeping arrangements, sometimes they roost together in one cage, sometimes the other, sometimes separately. Then during the day they are out together, or in their own cages when they need to be caged.

Even birds that are super friendly and bonded can badly injure each other if a squabble gets out of hand especially in an enclosed space. Having separate cages means that they can spend lots of time together supervised outside the cage, but they also have their own private personal space.

BigSky81

Moving in
@Lwalker is that your way of saying it was a stupid question?! Haha I can take constructive criticism as I am new at this and want to learn!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@Lwalker is that your way of saying it was a stupid question?! Haha I can take constructive criticism as I am new at this and want to learn!
No what they did was "bump" your thread up in the new posts so it would be noticed.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My two have been together since 4 mo old. They are now 11 yo. I don't provide any nesting opportunities and have not had any eggs yet, fingers crossed. JoJo's given up trying to romance Chickie or maybe it's just not the season. She always squirmed away anyway.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Goodness no!! LOL. If you don't know an answer to a question posted but want to help make sure others see it (and it doesn't fall down lower on the list), you can respond with a "bump". That keeps it higher on the list so someone who does know is more likely to see it and answer.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
I got an unrelated m/f pair with the idea that I might cage them together and...I chickened out. I have plenty of space for two cages, so they spend lots of time out together, and have seperate daytime and sleeping cages. If they decide when they grow up to move in together, I'll let them :roflmao: Until then, I feel better this way. Caiques aren't very easy to breed with a single pair, anyway, and I don't have any desire to try.

Bilquis786202

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bilquis
My two have been together since 4 mo old. They are now 11 yo. I don't provide any nesting opportunities and have not had any eggs yet, fingers crossed. JoJo's given up trying to romance Chickie or maybe it's just not the season. She always squirmed away anyway.
Are you Bonosa1?