1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caging 4 males together

Discussion in 'Lovebird Lane' started by Phocyn, 5/12/19.

1. Phocyn

Phocyn Meeting neighbors

Laura
    I have a 2'6" x 2'6" x 4" cage I want to put four Male lovebirds in so I can free up two cages for two females. Is the dimensions I mentioned too small?

2. hrafn

hrafn Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

If you know that the four of them are friendly with one another, it'd possibly be okay to house them together, but I'd go for nothing smaller than a flight cage.

But @Zara knows a lot more about lovebirds than I do.

3. Zara

Zara Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Zara

I personally wouldn´t. Lovebirds are best as pairs. M M is ok, but only two.

I´m assuming you mean 26 x 26 x 40 inches.
    It´s a good size cage... but one fight could lead to a death. I don´t feel it is worth the risk. They would be ok in a large aviary all together though.

For context, I have my Blue Team; mum, dad, son and daughter. The parents cage is 30x18x36 inches. The little ones come out of their cage in the morning and go straight to their parents cage to greet them. I let them out and the flock fly together. After an hour or so, they (all 4 of them) return to the parents cage to play. But the doors are open and I am right here watching them.
    They get on so well. But I would never house them together. And mine are two bonded M F pairs.

hrafn likes this.
  4. aqualover9

aqualover9 Walking the driveway

@Zara I think that cage is 2ft+6in x 2ft+6in x 4in or 30in x 30in x 4in

I'm a bit confused by the 4 inch part, is that a typo @Phocyn ? If it isn't, it would be an unreasonably small width for a cage.

5. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    30 X 30 X 4 feet?

6. aqualover9

aqualover9 Walking the driveway

Maybe

7. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best KICK ME!

John
    One cage is one territory no matter the size. Any more than 2 birds in a cage is a risk for that reason alone.

BeanieofJustice, Zara and finchly like this.
  8. Phocyn

Phocyn Meeting neighbors

Laura
    Sorry about the inch marks on the 4. I meant feet.... I was thinking of using a divider for the birds, but it cuts the space down too much. I would need at least an inch for a tray and bottom grill, etc. I'll be looking for a larger divider cage instead.

9. Zara

Zara Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Zara
    Phocyn likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)