• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage with dust?

chirpy.derp

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
This is easily the reason why I joined this forum again, my new bird cage has this when I rub a paper towel over it? I'm concerned if it's safe or not. Should I be worried? It didn't come off with a hose down, but comes off when I force it, it's also on the feet of my new conure. I'm just concerned. Help?

Attachments

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I really don't know, I am sure Some one else here does though. I think you are right to be concerned, it does not look normal:eek: do you have a picture of the bars of the cage? And if you have wiped a part clean of that stuff, is it there again the next time you do it or is it like Some sort of coating that disappears?

chirpy.derp

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
I really don't know, I am sure Some one else here does though. I think you are right to be concerned, it does not look normal:eek: do you have a picture of the bars of the cage? And if you have wiped a part clean of that stuff, is it there again the next time you do it or is it like Some sort of coating that disappears?
It's there the next time, just not as much. It's all over the birds feet though, it's not "powder coated" either. I'm really concerned, but I don't have anothe cage to put them in right now >~<

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hmm weird, until Some one comes along who knows what it is you might let your birdie walk through a very shallow dush Filled with water a few times a day, so the cage stuff washes off a bit

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Picture of the the wires
It looks normal to me, Maybe it is just because the cage is still new or Something, but I don't know for sure:chin:

chirpy.derp

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
It looks normal to me, Maybe it is just because the cage is still new or Something, but I don't know for sure:chin:
It was actually a pre-owned cage, hence why I'm concerned...

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Do you know if the previous owners smoked? Maybe it could be smoke, then I think there would be a way to completly remove it:)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Did they repaint the cage?

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I personally would get a new cage. If I can't be sure what the material is I would not use it and get one that you know is safe. Unless it is a large indoor aviary or flight cage (expensive) be safe, I would get a temporary SAFE cage until I can get a permanent one, which is what I'm doing now. Due to all the potential respiratory issues and not being able to identify the "powder" it isn't worth it. A lot of paint material is so toxic. Even old ones can rust if we aren't careful with hinges, screws, etc. we are continuously checking our cages when we clean it daily for any loose bars, hinges they can get stuck on, etc.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
What brand is the cage? Do you have a full cage picture?

I don't know what's going on, but none of the cages I've owned have ever had that issue. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that either, and also suggest finding a temporary cage for your bird.

Good luck.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I asked about paint because a bird-safe paint should not be coming off like that. :(

chirpy.derp

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
I think I'm going to get a replacements cage for now which I know is safe, and then go from there. Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow me to get a full blown brand new cage just yet but I'll try and borrow one off a bird owning friend who I know looks after their cages.

I too am seriously not sure on what it is, and I don't want my fids in a cage like that ;-;

I'll try and organise one ASAP today

chirpy.derp

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
I asked the previous owner about it as well, they said that they didn't repaint it, and it's been sitting in their shed.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I think I'm going to get a replacements cage for now which I know is safe, and then go from there. Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow me to get a full blown brand new cage just yet but I'll try and borrow one off a bird owning friend who I know looks after their cages.

I too am seriously not sure on what it is, and I don't want my fids in a cage like that ;-;

I'll try and organise one ASAP today
If you live anywhere near the Twin Cities, MN area I can get you an HQ cage.

chirpy.derp

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
If you live anywhere near the Twin Cities, MN area I can get you an HQ cage.
Sadly I'm not even in the country, I'm in Townsville, Australia - But I really appreciate the offer!