• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage upgrade for disabled bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have been looking around for the perfect cage for Java. I would like a wide cage that is low but also not sitting on the floor since I have a curious cat. Java weighs 429 grams but still has about 100 grams to go before the vet is satisfied. I don't have a ton of space for an enormous cage but I also don't want to confine him to a teeny cage that could restrict his movement. For the most part, he's rather stationary, and I believe a lot of that is because he wasn't healthy when I got him and he has never been in a home before. So, I've been looking at older threads of cage setups for disabled birds but a lot of the threads I see are for GCC or smaller. When he is out of his cage, he leans on his good leg and doesn't move around a lot but he can perch to an extent, as long as he has the side of the cage to lean against. I can't find an ideal flight cage for him that would be wide enough and strong enough to not buckle if he ever has an energy spike (once he's better settled in). I will gladly take all suggestions, stories, and pictures.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
You could look into rabbit cages for him. They tend to be longer rather than taller. I have my boo set up in a smaller rabbit cage. The one I have is very sturdy, since rabbits can chew like no one's business.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Prevue Pet Products 485 Feisty Ferret Black Hammertone Home - Free Shipping Today - Overstock.com - 13883219

I have a similar cage for my Quaker girls since Loofa is splay-legged. The ramps were different so I've wrapped them in vet wrap or the product used to wrap show horses' fetlocks. It sticks to itself and gives a handicapped bird a good grip.
I've thought about these but I wonder if they would be wide enough for Java's toys and perches. I've also looked at deluxe habitat extra large rabbit cage but I don't know if it's strong enough and I'm not a big fan of the doors even though I could always modify it. I'd like build my own cage at some point but that's not a realistic possibility at the moment :confused:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
What I liked about the cages with ramps (and I'll try to find the exact one I got) is that the platforms and ramps are not fixed, so you can try a set up and see if it works. If it doesn't, you can change the ramp and platform settings. As I'd said earlier, I've wrapped the ramps that only had bars to make it easier for Loofa to maneuver them. And, trust me, territorial cage Quaker that she is I know she's adapted very well.

I've also used timothy grass mats zip tied as floors as well. Your fid can chew on it (or not) but it provides a more solid floor which can still be gripped with a good foot and beak. I've used that type of set up for Loofa and also for the tiels' cage since I have 3-4 that don't really fly and are a little mobility disabled.

If you have any local pet stores, don't restrict your view to just what is in the bird aisle. Check out the rodent section and also the reptile section. They'll have grass or wood items that you may be able to adapt to Java's habitat too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.