• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Cage tour! Bird's eye view!

Should I add more perches into the bottom area of this cage?

• Yes! The more the better!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, its overly crowded already!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry I was quiet yesterday here, my brain wasn't working for posting. @Mizzely TY for popping over here & helping out on the zinc- nickel debate in my head. I didn't realize the list of foods high in nickel. That was very interesting!!!

@Kestrel You're working really hard to do the right things for your fid! Your human, give yourself a break. Better to find all this important stuff out before an accident, illness, or paint-metal issue comes up in the yearly. Replacing is what I'd do too. My Dad had an old ladder & I restrung it & then I realized that the leather I bought (to get rid of the sisal twine strings) had paint all over it. I also had used it inside Buddy's travel carrier.

Wait this gets better....

So I jump on amazon & order leather cord. Restring the items back into the travel cage. Make a few toys w/ it. Put them into Buddy's food dish. Wasn't paying attention. Really liked the cord, ordered another reel of it. Place a great review on the first reel. I used to work part time in a leather shop (a summer) about a lifetime ago. I know what leather smells like & feels like. Buddy begins to play w/ it & I notice a day or two later that its fraying. Talked to my kid Sister a few days later & I mentioned the odd fraying & it sort of looked like plastic (not thinking).
My kid Sister says "Are you sure it's leather?"
I say "the company said leather, it smells like leather."
Then she says "Is it pleather, maybe?"
I say "OMG, you right it is, gotta go, they coulda killed my bird!"

Needless to say, I wrote a politically correct review stating that they could of killed my bird w/ lotsa pics. I was extremely unhappy. I did the have an Amazon rep. Call me. They were great. Refunded my $ for both reels (took a bit). Then they filed a complaint issue against the company. Told me it was there first one & it was like a 3 strikes deal. They couldn't do anything until that 3rd strike. The company did misrepresent the item & Amazon CS saw it too.

I learned. If its for Buddy either be 100% sure or order from ANY vendor here. My brain has hiccups, so I will check w/ family if something seems a miss. I got lucky too. It seemed "If" Buddy ingested any of that covering it was such a little piece it passed thru him. I don't think he actually did, I think his beak just marred the plastic covering. Like you it was caught in time & you're learning! Like me you'll probably never make that mistake again.

Keep up w/ your fid learning. Your doing a great job as a new parront!

:gbh:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
What a wonderful set up! Babies are clumsy so the rope perch is a good choice for him. Thinking further about the clumsiness I might be inclined to put vet wrap on parts of the big smooth perch to give him a better grip so he doesn't slide off.

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
I hate to be a party pooper here but that little loop in the wire is a 'toe catcher' and very dangerous. Once your bird gets his toe caught he could break his leg trying to get free.
I rebuilt all my ladders with leather strips. I guess Sissel rope would do to.
I restrung the ladder today with cotton twine and and natural unpainted wooden beads. Thanks for the heads up!

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
@Rain Bow thank you fir everything! And your story really does make me feel a bit better! LOL Here I thought the cage was all set up and pretty much done. I was basically just showing it off and then I come to find that I messed something huge! Bah! Anyway, I really am glad it got caught now. So seriously thank you!

I restrung the ladder today with new beads. I dyed them with food coloring myself. I used beet juice to dye the red ones because I read cockatoo type birds can be allergic to red dye.

I also ordered some stainless steel quick clips off amazon today. Had to order 10 which is way overkill for how many I actually need but I figure it will be nice to have some extra. I plan to make more toys to switch out in future anyway.

@Fuzzy thank you! I visited my baby today and yes he is quite the clumsy one yet LOL. With regard to the vet wrap on the smooth perch, is it safe if he chews on that? I saw someone use mole skin, would that be better? Or about the same?

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I'm not familiar with moleskin but I did VetWrap all my cotton perches. I found Farlie eating them.
I would buy 1/8" leather strips instead of that kite string you're using there. Your bird will most likely chew it in two. Hopefully, he won't eat it. Some birds, like my sun will eat cotton rope and or string.

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
I'm not familiar with moleskin but I did VetWrap all my cotton perches. I found Farlie eating them.
I would buy 1/8" leather strips instead of that kite string you're using there. Your bird will most likely chew it in two. Hopefully, he won't eat it. Some birds, like my sun will eat cotton rope and or string.
Can I just pick that up from hobby lobby or do you have to be careful what the leather is treated with?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You only want to use vegetable tanned leather (always un-dyed)

This is the company I bought leather from. They seem to be out of strips/laces. If you keep an eye out you may find some cheap though.

Zelikovitz.com | Zelikovitz Leathers - Serious Crafts for Serious Crafters

You could try calling them.

Or

You could get it from Ann @ Calibird nerds

Welcome to cabirdnerds.com -

I'm guessing that internet ordering may not be the easiest for you. In this case, I'm outta answers. Most hobby store items in leather use tanning & dying on the products that could hurt your fid. By the way, I saw your fids foot pic, I'd make it a point to have it looked @. Buddy's older & has dryer skin on his feet but never like that. I'm not trying to scare you, but if it was me, I'd want to have a vet take a peek.

Holistic forum is another place to ask about it. You may want to see what they recommend. Maybe ask about aloe. It has strong healing capabilities on birds. I hope it's just that he walked through formula like was mentioned.

I've got to get to sleep, (early day tomorrow)

:gbh:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, thank you, Rain. I didn't know Ann sold it too. I'll buy from her from now on. My guy wants about $15 for S&H. AND, it's not round.
1/8" Round Leather Lace (by the YARD)
Yea, the stuff I got from Zelli was really great but not being round caused a few isses, but super sturdy. She has coconut rope but its prob, too thick for that ladder. I don't like it because its really scratchy & approx 1/4" around. I had a hard time getting the knot tied. I'm a big wimp in the hand - arm dept. :lol:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use small needle nose pliers to tie my leather knots with only after wetting the leather first.
Water... Good idea! :banghead: makes perfectly logical sense (which is why I didn't think of it). :lol: . I do use assistance of the pliers when needed but sometimes I just have to hand it off & say please help. I know my limits!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
It looks great. It's up to you w/ your rope perch, to keep it in the cage. Many birds have been found hanging upside down because their nails & toes have gotten tangled in them to the point that they can't get out of it on their own. Some have even been injured terribly because of it. You may want to check them often & keep them trimmed if you don't remove them. I'm saying often like many times a week. I use mine on the outside of the cage, so My Buddy isn't unsupervised w/ it @ night.

I love the different types of perches that you have! The grapewood looks super nifty. It looks like your fid is gonna have a great time in that cage.

Is the ladder made of plastic beads? I'm seeing shiny i n the photo & just want to be sure the beads are not wooden w/ paint or shellac. It looks like fun!

I'm gonna tag a couple of members because I believe that your zinc coatings need to be replaced asap, to avoid your fids getting metal poisoning. @Mizzely & @calibird should be able to help. I'm not feeling well tonight, & the zinc metal thing, is just not remembering in my head. Sorry. Also, I can't tell. Are your clips the proper kind of clips? Locking carabiners? If they're the squeeze type of clips they can cause injury. I'm glad that your trying so hard to make the cage safe for (Kestrel?) !

Your perch building is beautiful!
That's a really good idea. My friend told me the same thing when I got Fred the boing. But I only use that on the outside of the cage.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a really good idea. My friend told me the same thing when I got Fred the boing. But I only use that on the outside of the cage.

Buddy doesn't like to swing. He didn't like his boing as a boing. So I wrestled w/ it & used it to make a whole playtop. Atop his cage & once it started to show wear I vet tape wrapped it. He found it MIA the other day from w/ in his cage to poof. He looked sad. But w/ the spring warmth in the house it was getting gummy. I wrapped it up in a dark lawn & leaf bag & put it in my basement. In the fall/winter I'll probably wrap in fresh & put it back in his cage.

He's so spoiled, he'll live w/ out for a few months. :D

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Lol mine is spoiled too. At night I give him a treat which he prefers being hand fed. If I forget he will sit and stare at me until I do :hehe:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lol mine is spoiled too. At night I give him a treat which he prefers being hand fed. If I forget he will sit and stare at me until I do :hehe:

:pinklol2:

They remember more than we do sometimes! Especially if food's involved in anyway shape or form! Then you get the Parrot Evil Eye!:atomic: Back away from the fid slowly & nooo eye contact!:backout: