• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage size

AmyGina

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amy
whats the average cage size for a Quaker?
I know mine is small. I used it for my conure. 20x20x30. I want to purchase a new one soon!

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
My advice is to go for the largest cage you can afford! A bird will enjoy all the space you can give him, and there’s no such thing as a cage that is ‘too big.’ However, there most likely is a minimum for a cage for a Quaker. @Mizzely?

But a good rule is to have at least a big enough cage for plenty of toys and perches, yet that still provides the bird plenty of room to move around easily. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Absolute Minimum is 1.5 times their wingspan wide and 1x times their wingspan deep if they will spend most of the day out of their cage. If they will spending over 5 hours a day (non sleeping, waking hours) in the cage, I would do 2x times the wingspan. Average wingspan for a quaker is about 17.5"

That suggests that the smallest would be something in the neighborhood of 26x18 to 35x18. A flight cage, which is 32x21 generally, is the smallest I would go. My quakers have been in the following cages:

Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand F040 Black Bird Cage, 31-Inch by 20-1/2-Inch by 53-Inch : Birdcages : Pet Supplies
Avian Adventures Mediana Playtop Bird Cages in Platinum | Petco
King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

Out of those, the Avian Adventures is my favorite.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

AmyGina

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amy
Well the new cage came and I got it together today but not before my boy/girl (should be finding out anytime now) got tucked away in the hut can’t wait for tomorrow to start getting all the toys set up in there. That bird is gonna be in heaven. It’s WAY bigger than what he’s in now.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Looks great!!