• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage size too small?

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
This cage is too small for a green cheek conure, correct? Cage itself is a 22"x 24"x33". Overall heigth is 68"

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
My gcc cage is 21 x 27 and 39 high inside. It seems to suit her just fine. She uses all the space , can flap but of course not fly. I wouldn't want smaller but if there was room I'd go bigger. Hope this helps. The cage you cite is borderline between small and big enough. The more time the bird spends out of cage can make a difference.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
That seems pretty small to me. If the bird is out the majority of the time and its a sleep only cage that'd probably be okay but that's pretty small for a every day cage.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That size is ok, provided that your GCC is out at least a few hours a day and has a chance for exercise, and an out of cage area to play in (more than just a cage top).

Recommended cage sizes are constantly going up (when I got my GCC 18 years ago, all the cage recommendations were for 16x16 to 18x18"). IMO, quality time outside of the cage is much more important than cage size, at least once the cage is big enough for a bird to have some toys and still have room to stretch its wings (which the cage you are looking at does have).
But if you aren't sure about being able to give enough out of cage time consistently (for example if you travel a lot and your bird must stay caged while you are away), then you really should try getting another size larger cage. You won't regret getting a larger cage.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
That size cage is borderline. I would recommend a flight cage. They are usually around 31 x 20. There are some bigger and some a little smaller.

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
Thanks for the replies.

I am trying to figure out a different setup than what I currently have. Having cages in the living room makes me get creative on placement.

I am also looking at buying smaller furniture pieces to get the best placement.

I am wanting to get the conure a bigger cage than that. Just trying to come up with options. It is hard to picture my birds in specific size cages.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
My A&E flight cage (excluding stand) is 32x21x35 and it is a good size for a GCC and can be found at a good price.

I have two GCCs and they bonded and moved into one cage but it is still room enough. Had I known I would end up with two, I would have got the double cage that is longer (not taller) and took the divider out bit it does take up a lot of floor space. Someday.;)