• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage size for canary with no free flight time

Elizabretha

Sitting on the front steps
Hi all,

I live in a 1-room place with huge windows that can't be curtained, so I can't free flight my canary, Gelato (that and it's not my place so I can't risk staining it with his droppings).

I was thinking of getting Gelato a large enough cage to compensate. I hear that canary cages should be at least 24" long, but for a canary who gets no free flight, what would you say is a good length?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would also go with a flight cage :)

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
We have this cage and it is very roomy for the price!

Elizabretha

@Calpurnia @Mizzely @JosienBB

Thank you all for your replies! All of the cages you linked are about 80 cm wide. I found this cage that's 80x35x95 cm. Do you think this design suits a canary's habits (this is my first canary and I got him on Christmas)? My canary sure likes to jump, and it seems like he'd be able to fly on the bottom half.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't like that the top is much narrower than the bottom. Birds like to be up high, so they'll inevitably spend all their time in the narrow part (the top half), making it a much smaller cage than you'd like it to be. Also, wooden cages are difficult to clean.

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
I have to agree with @JosienBB! While it's a beautiful cage you really want to look for the most uninterrupted horizontal space as possible. My other beefs with this cage are the tiny access doors (making cleaning and rearranging a huge pain) as well as the solid roof which makes hanging toys/swings/boings impossible.

EDIT: I guess you could use the cross bars to hang stuff but those also seem like unnecessary poop magnets....

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I vote no on that cage. It is beautiful to you NOW, but you'll want to ditch it in under a year! Trust me!

Please don't do anything smaller than this cage, and turn the perches the other way (so that one is on each end, he will fly back and forth between them).

I have 2 canaries, they do not come out of the cages. They are in 30X22X36" cages (I think that's the size) and really need more room. Canaries need to fly. They have a lot of nervous energy if they don't have enough space.

Be sure to give him some toys to shred, as well. :)

Elizabretha

Thank you all for the advice! I really appreciate it.

They are in 30X22X36" cages (I think that's the size) and really need more room.
The 30" width has seemed too small for your canaries? I'm having a hard time finding flight cages larger than 32".

Elizabretha

I'm sorry for all my replies/questions! I just want to get this right since the cage is the most important happiness-factor for my little canary.

Would this cage be overkill for a single canary? I heard male canaries don't like a territory space *too* big.

Again I really appreciate everyone's help!

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Would this cage be overkill for a single canary? I heard male canaries don't like a territory space *too* big.
I think that is a good option. I really don't think there is a cage that could be too big, especially when you consider that you'll want to pack it full of enrichment items: toys, perches, bathing dishes, foraging opportunities, etc.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you all for the advice! I really appreciate it.

The 30" width has seemed too small for your canaries? I'm having a hard time finding flight cages larger than 32".
I know! What I do is take 2 cages, remove the facing sides, and zip tie together to make one longer cage. I do have 2 that I could do that with, or I could move my 2 canaries in with Gouldians who have a bigger cage. Anyway we aren't talking about me here....

That cage you noted is perfect! Also here's another: Double Timbertown Treehouse Bird Cage, Double Bird Cages, Stacked Bird Cages, Breeder Cages, Bird Cages .... it's overkill for just one bird probably. ;)

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
@Calpurnia @Mizzely @JosienBB

Thank you all for your replies! All of the cages you linked are about 80 cm wide. I found this cage that's 80x35x95 cm. Do you think this design suits a canary's habits (this is my first canary and I got him on Christmas)? My canary sure likes to jump, and it seems like he'd be able to fly on the bottom half.

this one!

DreamQuestin

Moving in
Real Name
Deb Johnston
I don't want to hijack this thread, but as I am just considering getting canaries myself, this seems a good place to ask about a cage I am considering.

This cage (One cage with stand) is
1 Cage with Stand: 40.5"W x 11"D x 28"H (has dividers but with the dividers removed this should be a good size for a canary, I think)
Bellas Bungalow Breeding Bird Cage, Stackable Bird Cages, Breeding Bird Cages at Bird Cages 4 Less

What do think? Good price too.

with a smile,
Deb AKA DreamQuestin

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The width is good, but the depth (11") is too narrow.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
This wooden cage is beautiful and I think great for a canary. It will not be easy to clean but one canary doesn't create a huge mess either.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I don't want to hijack this thread, but as I am just considering getting canaries myself, this seems a good place to ask about a cage I am considering.

This cage (One cage with stand) is
1 Cage with Stand: 40.5"W x 11"D x 28"H (has dividers but with the dividers removed this should be a good size for a canary, I think)
Bellas Bungalow Breeding Bird Cage, Stackable Bird Cages, Breeding Bird Cages at Bird Cages 4 Less

What do think? Good price too.

with a smile,
Deb AKA DreamQuestin
I think the depth is terrible and I don't fancy the look of the cages either. And for the price of two of them you sure will find something nicer.