• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage setup photos

Hquinn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
I am getting my first dusky conure in about a month and I am trying to get his cage all set up before he arrives. I have read not to use anything with string, rope or fabric which is disappointing since I love those little huts they make.

Anyways I would love to see some photos of your cage setup! :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
@April has a fabulous setup for Nala. I have issues with filling the bottom half of the cage. :meh:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Hquinn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
I was hoping to see just conure setups since I have read that they should stay away from anything with fabric, rope, or string. I have also read that leather toys if eaten can expand inside of tummies? For those that don't use the fabric hut, do you use something different for them to sleep in? Also are their any specific toys your conures absolutely love?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The "main" reason people don't use the happy hut if they don't is because it can cause territorial/aggression issues. As far as staying away from fabric/rope/string, anything can be dangerous or safe. Not anymore dangerous for a conure than any other kind of bird. It's all about knowing your bird, watching your bird and supervising any new toy playtime until you know its safe.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@April has a fabulous setup for Nala. I have issues with filling the bottom half of the cage. :meh:
Thanks Webchirp,I'll have to come back to this post after I get home and add the pic :)

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
My GCC won't go near a happy hut, but I found a little fleece blanket with a stuffed carrot head on top and hung it over his favorite sleeping spot. He loves it and climbs under it every night! As for toys, he loves balsa, curly straws, the shredding discs, the woven shreddable toys (but strangely will not touch the finger traps. Goofy bird!), vine foot toys, and foot toys with both acrylic and SS on them. He also loves the cat type balls with the bells in the middle, but those are a supervised toy only because he chews it to get the bell out when we aren't playing "fetch" with it. Those bells are pretty small and dangerous, so as soon as he gets a big enough hole, I throw it away and give him a new one.
He does have a rope perch, both a rope and a sisal boing, rope atom and rope round swings. Roma is not a big chewer, but I keep a close eye on the rope toys for fraying or chew spots.
Each bird is different. It has been a lot of experimenting and I continue to try to find new things he will play with.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The happy hut is one of those things that I allow my conure to have. In almost 3 years of her being with me she's never chewed on her hut and she gets very upset if she doesn't have access to it at bedtime.

My quaker on the other hand lost his privileges of having one. He does chew ropes and huts and it's a safety concern for him.

Most of it is just knowing your bird. And knowing that everything in our homes or their cages is s potential threat.

There is no "conure" cage set up. Most cage setups will work for all species if you account for scaling based on size.

My conure likes thin pine, balsa, willow, and bells

Last edited:

Hquinn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
That's great to hear! This is only my second bird in my life and my previous bird I had over 10 years ago so I have pretty much just based everything from what I have read in all the conure books. It is good to hear from other conure owners and their experiences!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Chya my sun is not allowed to have a hut or any type of fabric material. Makes her nesty and she shreds it. Most of the cheekies have a hut though. If you get one, make sure you run your hands over it and visually inspect daily.