• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Set Up

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
what IS up with that anyway? There’s been many times a particular toy gets ignored.. I move it..it becomes the best item in the cage!? They are weirdos:laugh:
I don't know!! Flynn is exactly the same! Theres one spot in his cage smack in the middle and thats his favourite spot to have a toy

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
It depends on the type of toy for my lovebird, too. She likes these jingly bead toys with a bell on the bottom that I call her "jingle jangles" that she likes kind of in the middle so she can beat it up. She loooves bells, it's pretty funny.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Have you ever watched that show Riverdale? In that, they call their street drug jingle jangle. Hahaha that's not why I use it, just coincidence. :roflmao:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Have you ever watched that show Riverdale? In that, they call their street drug jingle jangle. Hahaha that's not why I use it, just coincidence. :roflmao:
Yes!!! That’s my daughters fave show and we always watch it together. That was exactly what I thought of when I read that lol

Orion Wisehart

Moving in
Real Name
Orion
what IS up with that anyway? There’s been many times a particular toy gets ignored.. I move it..it becomes the best item in the cage!? They are weirdos lol

Speaking of too many toys- my mother in law came to see them the other day. Her 1st question was “can they even move in there?” Then they preceded to show her how they use the cage as an obstacle course. Launching off the swing to the highest branch, down to the boing, and back up to the platform. Nibbling on everything as round and round they go:laugh:

I noticed that, too. I moved a couple things yesterday and suddenly they're interested!

I had to take the cage cover I'd gotten originally back to the store and used the cash-back (and some store credit I didn't know I had!) to buy some stuff until I can get my hands on to DIY supplies. I got a ladder, another perch, another foraging toy, and a wooden hanging them with a bell. The lighting is terrible right now because it's night time but it feels like the cage has a bit more life to it so I'll take a picture tomorrow! I've covered the cage for the night but I can still hear them fluttering around and the occasional jingle or tapping so I think they're enjoying themselves.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Yay! I’m sure they love it, and I bet you had a great time picking out the new stuff and deciding how to “reconfigure” the cage didn’t you? Lol Can’t wait to see the pics :)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Yay! I’m sure they love it, and I bet you had a great time picking out the new stuff and deciding how to “reconfigure” the cage didn’t you? Lol Can’t wait to see the pics :)
I love cage rearranging! It's like moving furniture but easier and more fun!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I noticed that, too. I moved a couple things yesterday and suddenly they're interested!

I had to take the cage cover I'd gotten originally back to the store and used the cash-back (and some store credit I didn't know I had!) to buy some stuff until I can get my hands on to DIY supplies. I got a ladder, another perch, another foraging toy, and a wooden hanging them with a bell. The lighting is terrible right now because it's night time but it feels like the cage has a bit more life to it so I'll take a picture tomorrow! I've covered the cage for the night but I can still hear them fluttering around and the occasional jingle or tapping so I think they're enjoying themselves.
That's so cool! I love when my birds love what I make for them!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't recommend buying toy parts highly enough. I originally just experimented with store bought toys, and I still buy them sometimes, but I love to be able to just throw something together a few times a week. The skewers are fantastic, California Bird Nerds is my go to for my supplies and she has the best price on skewers. I know my lovebird LOVES popsicle sticks so I buy about 300 at a time. My conure really likes notched pine so I buy about 50 of those. Everyone loves balsa so I get a bunch of that. Some days I come home from work and make three toys! I like to be able to just change it up for them regularly. As far as placement just see if they ignore something, then put it in a different spot and see if they like it better there. Birds are weird! It's really nice to make a toy and watch them immediately destroy it!
Hey @Leih Gigi loves sola wood. It's the one wood she can really destroy and she loves it. Super Bird makes 2 sola toys that are on Amazon.

editing to say- Called Hanging Loose and Sitting Pretty

Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Hey @Leih Gigi loves sola wood. It's the one wood she can really destroy and she loves it. Super Bird makes 2 sola toys that are on Amazon.

editing to say- Called Hanging Loose and Sitting Pretty
I've been looking at those! I haven't bought them because I wasn't thinking about the boys, but they do like sola also. And I could easily replace the pieces. I recently made them this with a seagrass mat, Emrys loves shredding seagrass (as you can see from the remains of their hut.)

Attachments

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been looking at those! I haven't bought them because I wasn't thinking about the boys, but they do like sola also. And I could easily replace the pieces. I recently made them this with a seagrass mat, Emrys loves shredding seagrass (as you can see from the remains of their hut.)
So cool! I will check out seagrass!

The sola is so rewarding for Gigi. I actually spent $102 direct from Super Bird so I could get free shipping. They have 2 other sola toys and replacement sections that I'm unable to find elsewhere. I bought lots of extras, 14 toys altogether. Eek, I'm ridiculous. I told my husband that I just spent $100 and he rolled his eyes.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
So cool! I will check out seagrass!

The sola is so rewarding for Gigi. I actually spent $102 direct from Super Bird so I could get free shipping. They have 2 other sola toys and replacement sections that I'm unable to find elsewhere. I bought lots of extras, 14 toys altogether. Eek, I'm ridiculous. I told my husband that I just spent $100 and he rolled his eyes.
Easy to do! When I stock up it's usually about $70 and it was so much stuff! I like to take pictures when I open the box because it's so colorful! Does Gigi like balsa? All of my birds like it, it's a little more challenging than the sola but nothing like pine. Oh and the yucca chips, aka Bird Kabobs.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Oh! Super Bird makes the balsa blocks with corks in it! My boys love those.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Easy to do! When I stock up it's usually about $70 and it was so much stuff! I like to take pictures when I open the box because it's so colorful! Does Gigi like balsa? All of my birds like it, it's a little more challenging than the sola but nothing like pine. Oh and the yucca chips, aka Bird Kabobs.
OK I'll take a pic of my new order when it is delivered. :) Gigi does like balsa and can make a bit of a dent in it eventually. The bird kabobs don't work for us though. She loves them but actually got her toenail stuck in the rope. I tossed them but maybe I should have restrung them on a metal rod.