• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Set Up

Orion Wisehart

Moving in
Real Name
Orion
So, I have two budgies in the same cage. They have plenty of space and everything but I originally was worried about overcrowding them so I held off on getting so many extras/toys/etc but now that I'm looking at some other cage set ups, mine looks quite barren in comparison. I already have plans on getting at least one or two more perches (the cage I bought misleadingly said it came with two perches when in reality one of the two is for the outside top play area so there's really only one) but what about toys?

Currently, I have a foraging toy, a dangling chain thing with destroy-able balls and a bell, a millet holder with a perch, and of course a cute little cuttlebone holder and soft "nest" but it still looks empty compared to other set ups and I'm worried they might get bored. Currently, they haven't shown any interest that I've observed in any of the toys, the millet, or the cuttlebone but they've also been adjusting and I might just be a worrywart in that regard. XD

For two budgies in a medium sized cage (20"L x 20"W x 60"H), how many toys would you recommend and what kind of variety? Tell me your budgie entertainment essentials!

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Natural branches, shreddable toys, chewable toys, foraging toys, swings etc.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Get a good selection and rotate them each week or so- they often like variety.
I didn't know that when I got my first birds so I never changed their toys. I have since tried to give them new toys but now Merlin is scared of them and refuses to touch them...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Usually the perch that comes with the cage is a dowel. They are not good for birds feet, but it´s not the worst to have just one dowel low down in the cage.
For the other branches, but different types, so cotton perches and natural branches of all different sizes and textures.
Remove the nest, it is not needed and will only bring on the hormones more frequently.

I like to keep the bottom halves of may cages clear so they can fly in them (minus my special needs bird who has the reverse - she has the top mostly empty to fly). So I start only 1/3 of the way up putting perches. I have toys low down on the walls and a few on the floor.

Get a good selection and rotate them each week or so- they often like variety.
I agree. Get lots of different toys, place them in the cage and keep switching them up and rotating them.

Budgies like bells, balls, beads, swings, colourful things, shiny things.
All birds are different and like different things, but by offering a selection, you will see which things your birds like. Some times just the placement of the toy will make them want to play with it. Other times it just takes time.

@Lady Jane what toys do Mickey and Murphy like?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Well, my guys are different from each other when it comes to toys. Mickey, being a female loves to chew so she likes any toy with soft woods or vines she can get her beak into. Murphy the male is not so much into toys. He pecks at toys of most any kind. He loves his mirror and I have no problem giving him that. I don't put bells into the cage unless they are stainless steel and remove the ringer for safety.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Really good tips you’ve gotten so far!
I also have a pair of budgies with different tastes. Jo loves shredding, his fave toys are kabobs (they sell minis which are cheap and don’t take up much space in cage if you hang from the top) he’s also currently working on destroying all remnants of bark from a natural branch lol. Planet Pleasures makes an item called “shredders” which you can just tie through bars of cage and both mine love! Takes up almost no space too since that’s a concern you have (see pic - I just put that in this am and it will be completely shredded in a few days)
Loki likes preening toys, soft rope you just need to be careful to always check it and replace if it gets straggly so little feet don’t get caught up.
They both LOVE their corner perch, which is great as it gives them a place to relax and hangout, and again is a space saver. Boings are also a budgie fave! They come in many sizes and if you absolutely can’t fit a rope one in the cage they do make smaller ones with beads (2nd pic)
Good luck... I’ve pretty much become addicted to shopping for bird toys lol always try having at least 1 option of the different types of toys(chewing/preening/bells/swing) and rotate them so they don’t get bored and have fun with it!!! :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Orion Wisehart

Moving in
Real Name
Orion
Ahh, this is all such good advice! Thank you guys so much! As soon as I get paid again, I'll going to hit the shop and see about getting a wider selection based on what you guys have said and see how they react to them. I've been wanting to look into some of the DIY toy ideas I've seen around here as well.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Ahh, this is all such good advice! Thank you guys so much! As soon as I get paid again, I'll going to hit the shop and see about getting a wider selection based on what you guys have said and see how they react to them. I've been wanting to look into some of the DIY toy ideas I've seen around here as well.
DIY is fun and cheap! :thumbsup:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please take time out for shopping with AA vendors. They are bird people and make completely safe toys. I only shop on AA now for bird toys.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh dear... I guess I'm not the one to be talking to about "appropriate number" of toys in their budgies cage?
@Orion Wisehart Maybe this is what NOT to do... ha haaaa!

Attachments

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Honestly, it seems like as they get older, they don't play with their cage toys that much. :( (Now that Mommy has a dang storeroom/warehouse full, right?) Currently, Fi is actually in the travel cage / 'play cage' across from the regular cage munching on the cuttlebone, and Fergus is sitting on the reg cage door rope perch playing with their newest toy! Oh... oops, new update... Fergus now on rope perch in travel cage with Fiona... I knew that separation wouldn't last long! :heart:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Oh dear... I guess I'm not the one to be talking to about "appropriate number" of toys in their budgies cage?
@Orion Wisehart Maybe this is what NOT to do... ha haaaa!
My birds' are similar! They can get around fine and they have lots of things to mess with, so I figure it's fine!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Elly its hard to see the birds for all the wonderful toys!

LOL... oh are there supposed to be birds in there? <wink, wink>

@Leih - Glad I'm not the only one. (Didn't really figure I was, on this forum either) Our Fids are spoiled, the way it should be.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I can't recommend buying toy parts highly enough. I originally just experimented with store bought toys, and I still buy them sometimes, but I love to be able to just throw something together a few times a week. The skewers are fantastic, California Bird Nerds is my go to for my supplies and she has the best price on skewers. I know my lovebird LOVES popsicle sticks so I buy about 300 at a time. My conure really likes notched pine so I buy about 50 of those. Everyone loves balsa so I get a bunch of that. Some days I come home from work and make three toys! I like to be able to just change it up for them regularly. As far as placement just see if they ignore something, then put it in a different spot and see if they like it better there. Birds are weird! It's really nice to make a toy and watch them immediately destroy it!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I can't recommend buying toy parts highly enough. I originally just experimented with store bought toys, and I still buy them sometimes, but I love to be able to just throw something together a few times a week. The skewers are fantastic, California Bird Nerds is my go to for my supplies and she has the best price on skewers. I know my lovebird LOVES popsicle sticks so I buy about 300 at a time. My conure really likes notched pine so I buy about 50 of those. Everyone loves balsa so I get a bunch of that. Some days I come home from work and make three toys! I like to be able to just change it up for them regularly. As far as placement just see if they ignore something, then put it in a different spot and see if they like it better there. Birds are weird! It's really nice to make a toy and watch them immediately destroy it!
what IS up with that anyway? There’s been many times a particular toy gets ignored.. I move it..it becomes the best item in the cage!? They are weirdos lol

Speaking of too many toys- my mother in law came to see them the other day. Her 1st question was “can they even move in there?” Then they preceded to show her how they use the cage as an obstacle course. Launching off the swing to the highest branch, down to the boing, and back up to the platform. Nibbling on everything as round and round they go:laugh:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Speaking of too many toys- my mother in law came to see them the other day. Her 1st question was “can they even move in there?” Then they preceded to show her how they use the cage as an obstacle course. Launching off the swing to the highest branch, down to the boing, and back up to the platform. Nibbling on everything as round and round they go:laugh:
They must have known you needed allies ;)