1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage set up

Discussion in 'Special Needs Crossing' started by alshgs, 1/10/18.

1. alshgs

alshgs Rollerblading along the road WPR/LLL Donor

What is the best way to set up a cage for a disabled ekkie? Right now the foster has her in a few layers of fleece followed by newspaper. When she begins to learn how to perch, what’s the best way to help her? Do I add ladders and flat/platform perches while she learns and just add bigger ones down the road? We’re working on the cage part now. Phoenix Landing will be checking to see if they have a cage. I have a spare, but the bottom tray was busted when the cage was delivered, hence why it’s a spare. It’s an A&E medium elegant cage so I’m not sure how long that would work before I needed to transfer her to a bigger one. Help?!

2. TikiMyn

TikiMyn Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting!

Robin
    I thought her feet didn’t work well, is that the case? If so, I would use a lot of thick (roper) perches(if she can grip them), and a lot of platform perches. You could even cover them up with fleece. When my lovie was recovering from Illness he couldn’t use his feet, so I Made him a couple hammocks. I don’t know if that Will work with such a big bird though! Good luck!

3. alshgs

No, she had to have her leg amputated because of a neglectful situation. So I’m just trying to find the best way to accommodate her when she gets here :)

TikiMyn likes this.
  4. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran WPR/LLL Donor I Can't Stop Posting!

Flat perches and platforms would be the way to go. You could also set up some ramps. Ladders should work but be sure you get the right spacing for her. With observation you will figure out what she needs. Birds with one functional leg/foot can generally still perch. Thank you for taking her into your home.

TikiMyn likes this.
  5. alshgs

I didn’t think about the ramps. Where can I buy those and do I just wrap them in fleece or vet wrap?

TikiMyn likes this.
  6. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran WPR/LLL Donor I Can't Stop Posting!

Don't know where you can get ramps but maybe someone else knows. You might be able to make them. I would think either non pilling fleece or vet wrap would work but fleece is softer. I tried that with my sparrow. We made the ramps out of things like tongue depressors. He wouldn't go near them.
    What does the rescue and/or vet recommend as per cage setup?

TikiMyn likes this.
  7. TikiMyn

TikiMyn Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting!

Robin
    Ooh okay! I think ramps are a great idea! I don’t know where you can get them though

8. alshgs

The adoption coordinator (from my area) and I are in contact with the adoption coordinator in MD (who is also the foster) about ideas. I was just trying to get what info I could until we heard back from her

iamwhoiam likes this.
  9. iamwhoiam

There are ramps for guinea pigs, rats, etc. but don't know how those would work with a bird.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)