• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage set-up and advice for a soon-to-be one legged lovebird?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
@Erikalynnha It's quite alright. Zip-ties are a possibility, but at the same time, he's a chewer. Wouldn't surprise me if he gnawed his way through them overnight.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Maybe you could see about flipping a flight cage on its side and modifying it? If you used a Prevue f040, you could have a full length of 48 inches or so, 24 inches deep and 33 (or so) inches high. It would take a lot of work and use a lot of space, but it's something to consider.
I do like the size, but it might be a bit of a hassle in the long run, and might be a little too big. Personally, I'd love to give him something that big, but between the cleaning and the inevitable spat that would cause with my mom, it's not really the best option. She's of the 'birds shouldn't cost much money and belong in small cages and should be quiet or get thrown out the door' mindset.

Mind you, I'm paying for them with my own cash, but I gotta find something that's big enough for him to sleep in and have his toys and room to fly about until I let him out in the mornings, but small enough for her not to throw a fit.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Garet How is Garelt doing? I wonder if you can find a cage with a door that drops downward so that it becomes a platform. Would be easier for him to exit the cage that way if he chooses to do that. You could also just attach a platform below a swing out door.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
@iamwhoiam He's a little grumpy and stir-crazy, but alright. He takes his meds like a champ and lets me cuddle him and scratch his head when I've toweled him up to medicate him. He's already used to using a little perch to get in and out of his cage, so a platform isn't a bad idea.

Still looking for a new cage atm, since the guy with the cage I was considering didn't get back to me about anything I asked.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Can Geralt fly?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Can Geralt fly?
I'm not sure yet. At the moment, no. The cone he's in basically goes down to his feet to keep him from biting his leg until it finishes falling off. He's obviously interested in flying and has made several attempts to fly, despite the cone (and nearly had success two or three times). I'm assuming he'll still be able to fly around, but will have problems landing and balancing.

Before we had to put the cone on, he was a very prolific flier. Liked hiding on ceiling fans and just zooming around everywhere.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Uuugh, I saw a nice cage that would work for Geralt, but I signed in just in case and it was being sold by his old owner. :explode:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What size cage are you looking for?

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I was going to say a dog cage but then I remembered we have a dog crate that my rabbit sleeps in and the boys can fit between the bars so that's a no go.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
What size cage are you looking for?
Something above the minimum of 18x18x18. I can go for a length of about 34" before it's too big for my dresser. I'd like to not go much higher than 18" for fear of him injuring himself.

I was going to say a dog cage but then I remembered we have a dog crate that my rabbit sleeps in and the boys can fit between the bars so that's a no go.
Mmm, I'm not sure if that'd work then. That's the problem I'm running into with most cages I look for that are longer than tall. Either the bar spacing is too wide or the bars look too flimsy to keep him from just chewing through them.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie

Garet

Real Name
Garet
https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Pet-P...8&qid=1522188875&sr=1-21&keywords=flight+cage

It doesn't have the horizontal bars sadly, but it has layers of them so it might be easier for him to move around.

18x18x40. You don't have to use the divider after all.
It's a nice cage, but the lack of verticals do worry me for him. He loves climbing up his bars like a monkey, and I'm worried he won't like the lack of them. I might just be thinking too much and worrying too much, though. I've never had a disabled bird before, and I really want to do this right, you know? The closest I've ever had was a disabled betta fish.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It's a nice cage, but the lack of verticals do worry me for him. He loves climbing up his bars like a monkey, and I'm worried he won't like the lack of them. I might just be thinking too much and worrying too much, though. I've never had a disabled bird before, and I really want to do this right, you know? The closest I've ever had was a disabled betta fish.
Maybe you could tie seagrass mats onto the walls of the cage, like these: MakeYourOwnBirdToys.com - Seagrass Mats for Bird Toys? Then he could climb those, plus they would act as cushioning and a chew toy!

I know my Chirp climbs the bars of his cage fine even though they're vertical, but he has use of both legs so it's a bit different. Maybe ladders would help?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Maybe you could tie seagrass mats onto the walls of the cage, like these: MakeYourOwnBirdToys.com - Seagrass Mats for Bird Toys? Then he could climb those, plus they would act as cushioning and a chew toy!

I know my Chirp climbs the bars of his cage fine even though they're vertical, but he has use of both legs so it's a bit different. Maybe ladders would help?
I've never really used seagrass things before. I can't imagine they must be easy to clean, but it might work.

And yeah, I'm definitely getting him more ladders. I was thinking that I might be able to divide his current cage in half with a top floor and a bottom floor, with a nice sleeping area/'bedroom' ontop and food and water on the bottom, if I can't find anything suitable, possibly with a ramp to help him get up and down.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Check kijiji too! You can get cages real cheap there
I've been looking around on the site, but I haven't really found much. I'm thinking of checking at the local petstore because it's a closing sale and the majority of the stuff they're selling is going for 10-75% off.

(And I like looking at their berbs. The store has three rescue parrots that live there and I love going in to see them, they're always outsideof their cages and playing with things.)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Critter Nation cages are a good choice. Horizontal bars and 1/2" spacing. Drs. Foster & Smith has some all horizontally barred cages that are on stands but not sure what you want to spend and not sure about the shipping to Canada, probably a lot. Here is one example: HQ Top Opening Cages | Cages for Medium Birds from DrsFosterSmith.com I would always keep the top closed. Here is another one: HQ Victorian Top Bird Cage with Cart Stand | Cages for Medium Birds from DrsFosterSmith.com not a fan of the top part of this one. Also they have sold this one for a lot cheaper.