• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage recommendations for a single linnie?

paradelle

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! My linnie Clover is my first -and for at least a long while- only, bird. I purchased a Prevue Triple Roof cage for him thinking I could just hang more toys there. I picked him up a little over a month ago and I've been rearranging his perches and toys ever since. I had to put vet wraps around the manzanita perches because he was slipping off, bought more rope perches since he seemed to prefer those, and bought ceramic bowls to put higher in the cage. I was also silly for not reading the specifications more carefully and purchased two giant natural wood perches that couldn't even fit inside the cage (I put one on top for him as a play area). I've also been regretting my choice in cage a lot since the roofs made it difficult to utilize the space efficiently inside and made it harder for him to walk around on top.

I've been scouring the internet to try to pick a better cage for him, something with a flat top and more space for all the perches and toys I've purchased for him. Ideally I would like something that is wider than it is tall since Clover rarely uses the bottom half of his cage unless I put fruits and millets in bowls under. He's also still very clumsy. I've been removing some perches from his cage to reduce clutter and observed him trying to get to the door from his boing and just falling to the bottom. I've been looking at everything from HQ/Mcage to Avian Adventures to King's but their flight cages all seem too big for one linnie? The smaller wrought iron cages are all really tall and narrow. I'd almost prefer something like the white 30 inch breeding cages I see everywhere but with better quality. There aren't any specialty bird stores near me so I haven't been able to see these cages in person (Petco/PetSmart usually carry A&E but never on display), I wanted to see what other more experienced linnie parents are using and would recommend. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a bunch of pictures on my page about my bird's setup, so hopefully it'll give you an idea of size comparison and space.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi, my single Linnie lives in this cage. She uses every inch of it. I love the all horizontal bars and ease in cleaning. And it's super pretty in cream.

ProductDetails.aspx

paradelle

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you so much! I actually never thought of using a rat/ferret cage but the size looks great. I also looked through your posts and your set up looks so comfy! I read through the Q&As on Amazon but I just wanted to make sure, the platform inside and the tray on the bottom are all removable? So that it'd be more alike a typical bird cage? Some of the reviews mentioned they can move out the tray but not the wire shelf.

Hi, my single Linnie lives in this cage. She uses every inch of it. I love the all horizontal bars and ease in cleaning. And it's super pretty in cream.

ProductDetails.aspx
Thank you! I think I've seen a picture of your Gigi perching on the little crescent stand on the cage when I was reading through the linnie forum before and was wondering which cage that is. I was looking at the SLF 3221 on Amazon but it doesn't seem to have that little stand on top of the door. When you say cream, do you mean white or is there a sandstone colorway not available on the King's website? Thanks!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
the platform inside and the tray on the bottom are all removable?
You're very welcome, and yes, the top platform and bottom platform are all removable so you could have a completely empty cage (it would still have a bottom, though). Keep in mind, there are no feeder doors, but that could easily be remedied if need be.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi paradelle! Yes, Gigi loves the little half moon door! I never open the large door. My cage is listed as white on the website but it is cream.

TDF2

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
F6781872-A36F-46D1-AEF5-0D62F8BBD8C6.jpeg Hello! There are so many different options to choose from, Summer uses every square inch of her cage, I think if you give your linnie space and multiple perches then you should be fine.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

ProductDetails.aspx
Montana cages also make this exact cage and call it Madeira I. I have one and I love it, Fantastic cage for small birds :)
I particularly like the little semicircle door that helps the birds in and out.

I never open the large door.
I do for cleaning and rearranging toys etc :)
I have a black (? It´s not really black) cage, the place I got mine from in EU didn´t have the option :( but I saw the off white one and I wished that was avail here.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
As long as it's 1/2" bar spacing, no cage is too big.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
lol @Zara yes I open the large door to service the cage. But Gigi only uses the tricky exit. :)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
View attachment 299146 Hello! There are so many different options to choose from, Summer uses every square inch of her cage, I think if you give your linnie space and multiple perches then you should be fine.
Sorry to "butt in" here (I don't have a linnie myself) but I LOVE this cage setup! Way to go!!!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@paradelle I neglected to post that that same cage Dona has is available from Kings Cages directly, HQ directly, or thatpetsite.com. I got one for my new conure, he's not home yet but I'm already infatuated with the "porch" as Dona calls it. ;)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Sorry to "butt in" here (I don't have a linnie myself) but I LOVE this cage setup! Way to go!!!
I went home the other day and rearranged in a similar way!

Kalakins

Sitting on the front steps
@TDF2 Nice Cage setup! Where did you get the wooden ring dish holders?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson