• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage recommendations for a CAG

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Hello everyone!!

As most of you know by now I took in a CAG pretty recently. She came with a cage and due to her being a plucker I don't want to stress her out too much at once so I was waiting a bit before I changed her cage.

Her current cage is pretty narrow and tall. I really want to get her a bigger cage as she is the only one of the birds I have that really uses every inch of her cage. What's everyone's opinion on minimum cage size/bar spacing for a CAG and if you have any links to cages you like please post them!

She is on the smaller side for a CAG but I plan on much bigger than minimum just because of how active she always is.

Thanks in advance!

I guess I should probably add, I prefer playtop or flat top cages so I can add a playstand on top.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I really like the Kings corner cages I have for my TAGs. The bar spacing is 3/4" which is perfect and there is lots of room inside which they do use. The similar A&E corner cages aren't as well designed as the door starts higher making it harder to reach in to change paper and clean. And the door locks aren't as good, nor is the paint job.
The cages are basically 40" x 40" with one corner cut off (the front where the door is) making them 5 sided.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
The cages I bought for the littles even 1/2" is solid...

Yes, they need toys...mom is behind in life in general. Plus they need like 20 each to fill the cage. This is the 45 x 30 x 74

big cage.jpg big cage 2.jpg big cage 3.jpg

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I also love the Kings corner cage I have for my CAG. It's huge, and it fits in a room nicely without creating weird space issues, if you know what I mean.

It can be difficult to hang things in there and screw in perches by yourself. It's good to have a helper with that.

Good luck.

Last edited:

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:

That one is pretty nice! Can you pretty easily reach the back as needed?

The cages I bought for the littles even 1/2" is solid...

Yes, they need toys...mom is behind in life in general. Plus they need like 20 each to fill the cage. This is the 45 x 30 x 74

View attachment 257386 View attachment 257387 View attachment 257388

I REALLY like this cage, do you have a link or brand I can look it up?

I also love the Kings corner cage I have for my CAG. Is huge, and it fits in a room nicely without creating weird space issues, if you know what I mean.

It can be difficult to hang things in there and screw in perches by yourself. It's good to have a helper with that.

Good luck.

I enlist the help of my husband or I've gotten pretty creative in the past to hang perches and such on the back of my cages lol...

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm 5' 5", and can reach most of the back sides of the Kings corner cage. I do have to lean in. However, I can not stand at the door, lean in and touch the very back corner where the two large, main side panels meet.

The sliding trays in this cage can be a bit tricky/wonky. They're split into two trays that pull out on the right side. One tray is a true rectangle and one ends at a slant, so you have to fold your newspapers to fit. I don't find these issues to be a problem, but they take some getting used to.

One thing is that the unlike standard cages I'm used to, I feel that the trays start to get very unsteady when you pull them out because they are much longer than they are wide, and they get wobbly in the tracks. I am considering placing thin sheets of plywood down as a base/support for the trays. I THINK there should be enough room to fit the plywood into the tracks without pushing the trays too high above the top track.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Humm good to know, I usually put paper on top of the grates anyways and only change the paper in the trays as needed so that isn't a huge problem. Most certainly good to know tho! I just worry its too deep for me to comfortably reach in as needed. Millie isn't super tame nor trustworthy so if I have to reach way in to full her foraging toys it may be a little more problematic. She's a plucker so I try to give her stations all over her cage to keep her busy.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I can reach the back fairly easily to change paper. Cleaning bars is harder but the bowls are at the front and they rarely poop on bars and never at the back, so they don't really get dirty. I wipe with vinegar/water soaked paper towels from the outside and wrap around the bars to get the inside on the hard to reach areas. You can remove the grates and trays and get in. Would be easier for you as I'm 5'11". :D

Last edited:

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Greys aren't birds that always like bigger cages. If she's had her smaller cage for her whole life, she may be unhappy in a really big cage.
If it were me, I wouldn't get anything more than twice what her current cage is, even if that ends up being smaller than people are recommending. Give her time to adjust and get used to the extra space before trying a larger cage.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Greys aren't birds that always like bigger cages. If she's had her smaller cage for her whole life, she may be unhappy in a really big cage.
If it were me, I wouldn't get anything more than twice what her current cage is, even if that ends up being smaller than people are recommending. Give her time to adjust and get used to the extra space before trying a larger cage.

Based on how she acts in her cage I can tell she would appreciate more space. She's super busy all the time. I really want to set up a bunch of foraging stations to help with her plucking but I don't have the space in her current cage. I really need to actually measure her cage but its 24"x24" at most. Worst come to worst if she didn't appriciate the bigger cage I could swap her with the cage our eclectus is in. Its a little smaller than the ones I've been looking at so far. The eventual plan is to upgrade both birds to bigger cages but Millie is a priority just because of how small hers is currently.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake

Based on how she acts in her cage I can tell she would appreciate more space. She's super busy all the time. I really want to set up a bunch of foraging stations to help with her plucking but I don't have the space in her current cage. I really need to actually measure her cage but its 24"x24" at most. Worst come to worst if she didn't appriciate the bigger cage I could swap her with the cage our eclectus is in. Its a little smaller than the ones I've been looking at so far. The eventual plan is to upgrade both birds to bigger cages but Millie is a priority just because of how small hers is currently.

I know how you feel, my TAG is a feather picker and was in a cage that was much too small. Was able to get a larger cage for him from a friend but plan on buying one of the cages that @webchirp bought. If its any help, my Harley has seemed more content in his larger cage than his previous one.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I know how you feel, my TAG is a feather picker and was in a cage that was much too small. Was able to get a larger cage for him from a friend but plan on buying one of the cages that @webchirp bought. If its any help, my Harley has seemed more content in his larger cage than his previous one.

Yeah I think this girl will too and worst come to worst its not like I'm just going to trash the cage completely. It can be a slow moving process if needed. I need need more space for toys and activities for her. To give you an idea of how small the cage was, it had two mediumish sized pedi perches in it and they each almost went the whole length of the cage. No other perches, I've since added some but still.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Yeah I think this girl will too and worst come to worst its not like I'm just going to trash the cage completely. It can be a slow moving process if needed. I need need more space for toys and activities for her. To give you an idea of how small the cage was, it had two mediumish sized pedi perches in it and they each almost went the whole length of the cage. No other perches, I've since added some but still.
That does sound pretty small, especially for a CAG. I hope the bigger cage helps alleviate her feather feather plucking! I know my guy likes softer things he can shred, like sea grass mats. They distract him for bothering his feathers, albeit for a short time. Maybe your girl will like something like that?

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Which cage did you decide on, Erica? @cosmolove

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
So far we're still considering our options. While she's in quarantine there really isn't space for a bigger cage so most likely it'll be a week or two after she moves into the bird room :) There is a local bird store near me that has big sales on cages twice a year and its actually coming up and is perfect timing so I'm going to check there and if I don't see one I like I'll be looking into one of the ones posted here :) I really like both of the cages posted.