• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cage recommendation for cockatiel and Bourke parakeet

ashley6460

Moving in
Real Name
ashley
I've recently been researching cockatiels and Rosie bourke's as possible pets for my family. since my husband and I both work----and we have a daughter that is school-age also----there are large amounts of time that the birds would be on their own. we would take them out and interact with them in the mornings, afternoons, and most evenings after school---but have been worried that a single tiel or Bourke would be lonely through much of the day. so---we are considering getting the hQ double flight cage. the cage has a divider that can go in or be taken out as needed. we were hoping a Rosie Bourke and a cockatiel could eventually live together---especially if we got them at the same time. they'd have the divider to keep their space at first---but then if it is no longer necessary---we'd be prepared to take it out and the 2 could be true housemates if things get on well....the thought process has been---we'd like to have 2 birds that like each other and provide companionship to each other---but that also remain tame enough to feel comfortable with scratches (for the cockatiel) and finger perching/shoulder perching for the bourkes. have read that these 2 can get on well---and thought with the 2 being different species maybe we'd have a good shot at finding that balance of the birds are bonded enough with each other to be happy but not exclusively to the point that they aren't able to be handled comfortably by the family. thought we might be more likely to be successful if they were 2 different species rather than same species.....any thoughts on this?? Anyone with real first hand experience keeping Bourkes with cockatiels?? Any cage recommendations---I've been looking at the hQ double flight cage----is there anything better suited to the arrangement I'm thinking of?? thank you in advance for any suggestions offered!!

Sincerely,
Ashley

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I sent a cage recommendation on your other thread and then saw this one. I don't have a ton of experience but I have two bourkes and had a couple of tiels (unfortunately had to rehome them). My bourkes were both older when I got them, one was an adoption. They both hate me lol they aren't tame so I just enjoy watching them. I love their tiny little chirps, they're very quiet and even when they do chirp it's very nice, they don't scream. My cockatiels could get pretty loud, they like to chirp the same little patterns over and over. There's a pretty big difference in the noise level between the two so that might be something to consider.

I think you could do a bit more training with a cockatiel. In my experience cockatiels seem more energetic than bourkes. My bourkes really just love to find a good perch and take a good nap lol. I have seen bourkes that are well trained, it's possible but it seems to be, like you mentioned, just having them be comfortable around people, being able to perch on fingers or shoulders seems to be the extent of training them.

Cockatiels on the other hand seem to be more interested in training and learning "tricks" rather than just being tame enough to perch. Cockatiels have goofy personalities while bourkes seem to be more...elegant? Or refined? I don't know how to describe them. My bourkes remind me of like, fancy, stuck up neighbors who sit and judge everything you have/ do. They sit and judge my psychotic parakeets all day long lol

If you have the chance go visit with some birds and you'll get a better idea of what their personalities are like. Also keep in mind not only are both species different but each individual bird will be different. I'm simply giving you my experience of what I've seen online and with my own birds. Some bourkes may be really into human interaction and training while certain tiels might not take to it well.

My bourkes seem perfectly happy just having a large cage and each other's company, they couldn't care less about me or if I'm home or not lol

I actually also considered keeping bourkes and tiels together but it just never happened so I'm not sure how housing them together would go but I did also read they could potentially be kept together.

Any time you're looking to get two birds be prepared in case they don't like each other. Think ahead, would you need another cage? Would you be able to give them each their own time out of the cage? Would you still want them each to have their own cage mate and end up with potentially even more birds? Just all things to consider.

Also I'm just curious what you were planning to feed them. Diet is so important and so many people have no idea that seeds should not be the bulk of a pet birds diet.

Sorry I wrote you a book lol ask away if you have any questions! If I can't help I know someone here can! Welcome to the forum!