• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage recommendation for CAG

Sapph

Moving in
My Congo African Grey is now about 12 or 13 weeks (I only know that she was born in February but not the exact day) and shes eating seeds and vegetables and shes healthy and had her vet checkup and we’re still waiting for her dna sexing results. I’m thinking girl because of physical characteristics but shes still young and theres still a chance that she could be male but its small. When I got her she wasnt able to be in a cage yet or even walk without being on a towel or her feet would slide around but shes much bigger now. My uncle actually was the one who said he would get me a cage but he has no experience with or knowledge about birds so he got a pretty small cage. He tells me thats that the employee told him that it was good for CAG but I think they knew he didnt have experience and scammed him. I dont even wanna measure it because I know 100% this is not a cage for her. But looking at it I think its about 18 inches by 18 inches or less and the height cant possibly anymore than 25 or 30 inches. I wouldn't even put my dusky conure in there unless he had more time outside of it than inside. I feel like its more if a cage for an introduction of a cage so if she fell from a climb the chances of getting hurt would be low or its more of a sleep cage or something just keeping her temporarily in another room if there were guests over and she was uncomfortable with them and the noise. But overall I would not use this for her as her cage once she’s used to cages. I’m looking for cages online and on websites of my local bird stores and I found two that may be good but I wanted other opinions on it.

This one cuts it close with size for a CAG but the price is reasonable.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...u-and-me-standing-parrot-cage#customerReviews

The measurements of just the cage it self without the stand is 30L x 30W by 43H

And then there is this cage which would be absolutely perfect in size because I know the other one with toys would leave her with less space but this one definitely has much more but the price is almost double

https://www.overstock.com/Pet-Suppl...mpire-Macaw-Cage/9249523/product.html#details

If I were to get this one it would take a little longer because I’d have to save up but the first one I would be able to get next week.

The second one would probably take about a month for me to be able to buy it because of a holiday that my dad and his coworkers celebrate and usually they give me and my sister some money and she would 100% be down to put money together to get this.

But this cage also is on another website for about 100$ less but it has no reviews and its the TractorCo store so I dont know about it. This one doesnt have reviews like the more expensive one has so I dont know if I should trust it

Prevue Pet Products Empire Macaw Cage 3157 at Tractor Supply Co.

This website mentions the bar spacing unlike the other one does so I’d also like to know if this bar spacing would be good for her?

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I know of a few people who have cages with bar spacing thats bigger than an inch, and have done well with it. I use to have a cage with bigger spacing and my guy got scared and jumped to the bottom and his head went through the bars and got stuck for a few seconds. So I changed him back to 1 inch. I guess it will depend on your bird. Bigger cages are always better... The Tractor Supply is a good company, you should be ok ordering through them.

Sapph

Moving in
I just looked at Tractor Supply and sadly the shipping is 129$ and then the taxes added onto it made it a higher price than the overstock one which had a free standard shipping