• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Ideas?

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
Just ran across your forums. I saw this special needs area and it made me think maybe you guys could give me some good ideas on how to make my African grays cage more fitting for him. I’ve had him a few years and never been happy with his cage but really am not sure where to go with it.

He’s a VERY destructive boy. I used baby blackest on the bottom of his cage so it wouldn’t be that hard a fall and he wouldn’t have to walk on bars but he kept killing them really quickly and I started to worry about him getting sick for eating them. I also gave him one of those hanging shelves with carpet sewed on it he also ripped that apart and then pulled it of the side of the cage. He even likes to pull his bowls out and throw them. His perches only last a few days to a week. He has one of them round rope swing he eats the rope (scared that it will hurt him) off it but never seems to sit on it. His toys can last from half a day to half a week. So he is one of those birds that LOVES to rip everything apart.

So anyway on to his handicap. He has 1 foot with only 2 nails and 2 almost full digits with no nails. His 2nd leg is a peg. He has one full wing and one half a wing. We’re not sure if he was born like this or if his parents did it. I’m leaning towards the parents biting at him as his wing used to break open and bleed any time he flapped his wings when scared or jumped. I took him to the vets a few times to get this light that helps promote healing put on his wing. He started to hate being held after that but at least his wing doesn’t bleed now. Before that I could pick him up and he loved cuddles now if I put my hand around him to pick him up he will bite.

His cage atm is 36inch wide x 28inch deep x 29inch tall over all height is around 68inch. I could pull out the divider/tray and make his cage double the height but don’t want him to have a long fall.

This isn’t his cage but the closes looking I can find. Front bars up and down side bars are side to side and there is a small side door on both sides of the cage. 2 bowls on each side like in the picture.

http://www.aecageco.com/4030-2.jpg

http://www.aecageco.com/AE2422-2-BLACK.png

So anyone have any thoughts on how you would set up a cage for my baby boy? BTW his name is ace as I font that fitting. I call him acey.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oow that does sound a bit difficult! A little trouble boy:p Normally I would suggest lots of platforms, ladders, wicker baskets etc.. but it sounds your boy Will kill that in a week! Perhaps Some flagstone perches? @Danita from Things for wings sellls them, they are Made of stone though so I don’t know if that would be too hard on his feet/stump:chin:

Edit: I think you are right to keep the divider in, if he fell from the top to the bottom that wouldn’t be fun. Have you tried covering a blanket with paper? I guess he would easily throw the paper aside though to get to the blanket.

Last edited:

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
Oow that does sound a bit difficult! A little trouble boy:p Normally I would suggest lots of platforms, ladders, wicker baskets etc.. but it sounds your boy Will kill that in a week! Perhaps Some flagstone perches? @Danita from Things for wings sellls them, they are Made of stone though so I don’t know if that would be too hard on his feet/stump:chin:

Edit: I think you are right to keep the divider in, if he fell from the top to the bottom that wouldn’t be fun. Have you tried covering a blanket with paper? I guess he would easily throw the paper aside though to get to the blanket.
I could try a stone perch at worst he doesn't like it cuz it hurts his feet right?

Haven't tryed the paper thing but guessing he'd say ty for the toy. He likes the bird confetti papers. He also just loves soft stuff. I have special shirts to wear when I used to holding him and still wear if im leaning in his cage for lovings 1st thing he bites for is the clothes or blanket. He loves to sit there and chew on it. After that it's my fingers. He's so mouthy.

I'm sure I could have done better with him on it as a baby but he was my 1st large bird and I didn't really know what to to correct and allow. Always told him no with the shirt but that didn't lead to anything.

My sis got 2 sweet grays that never even seem to play with toys and my sweetie tries to make up for them I guess lol.
He is a big pain but still loves head scratches, talks and if I don't lock his cage will throw himself on to the floor and follow me around. I tryed giving him a ladder to walk out of his cage but nope he just likes to fall to the ground, cry about it then follow me.

We're hopefully moving soon and I really want to make stuff better for him. Then again maybe he's happy as is. He doesn't yell never has pulled a feather out.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
How about a large sheet of cardboard on the bottom of the cage, with blankets under that to raise it up? It would be a flat surface, and he can chew on the cardboard if he likes. I don't know about you, but we order so many things from online (Amazon especially) so we have a constant supply of boxes we can break down to use for that purpose.

As for the dislodging of the bowls, I used to have a bowl tipper... my first lovebird. Ever since then, I have used the Lixit locking crock bowls. I don't know what country you're in, but you can usually find them in stores (I've found them at Walmart and pet stores) and online pretty readily. Here's what they look like: Small pet food dish clamps onto cage bars to minimize feeding mess You just put them in and twist the bowl and it locks in to place.

As for perches, maybe invest in these? https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Inspirations-Parrot-Cages-STAINLESS/dp/B00O15D0UM?th=1 I know they're a bit pricey, but you just buy untreated pine from the hardware store and replace them as needed. For your case, you may have to turn these 90 degrees and make it so the plank is horizontal and is pressed up against the end of the cage; so that it's more of a platform.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was having a very similar issue with my guy a few weeks ago as he only has one leg and is about the size of an African Grey. I started wrapping fleece around all his perches and zip tied a few of his bowls in place. I've taken the poop grate from the bottom of his cage and zip tied it at the halfway mark on the cage since he never used the bottom. I've gotten a lot of great advice from everyone on AA. As far as your guy being destructive, I'm not sure what to say about that. Maybe get him an "indestructible" dog toy and keep extras on hand

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
How about a large sheet of cardboard on the bottom of the cage, with blankets under that to raise it up? It would be a flat surface, and he can chew on the cardboard if he likes. I don't know about you, but we order so many things from online (Amazon especially) so we have a constant supply of boxes we can break down to use for that purpose.

As for the dislodging of the bowls, I used to have a bowl tipper... my first lovebird. Ever since then, I have used the Lixit locking crock bowls. I don't know what country you're in, but you can usually find them in stores (I've found them at Walmart and pet stores) and online pretty readily. Here's what they look like: Small pet food dish clamps onto cage bars to minimize feeding mess You just put them in and twist the bowl and it locks in to place.

As for perches, maybe invest in these? https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Inspirations-Parrot-Cages-STAINLESS/dp/B00O15D0UM?th=1 I know they're a bit pricey, but you just buy untreated pine from the hardware store and replace them as needed. For your case, you may have to turn these 90 degrees and make it so the plank is horizontal and is pressed up against the end of the cage; so that it's more of a platform.
I like the cardboard idea. Why didn't I think of that. If I were to go to U-Haul or hardware store and buy a box is there anything I have to worry about like what they used to put text on the box? Like with U-Haul they have there name and size of box printed on it, IDK what its printed on it with and if that's safe. The same goes for the boxes I've seen at home depot I believe.

I've never used those bowls with him but I have used them in the past. My guess he may undo them too. I don't remember how hard they are to turn. His bowls are the type u have to line up two bumps in the bowl with the 2 bends in the metal to pull it out.

Interesting idea for the perch and they would end up being cheap perches to keep replacing compared to normal perches. With the holders if I use them as pictured it looked like the board just lifts up and out? Thinking about it I may not even need to buy the holders (may have to though just to try them). We have cut slits into dowel rods to make them work as perches in my finch cage just a few days ago so maybe I could do that with a 2x2 or 2x4 for my boy. It's safe as long as it is just untreated pine, sanded or unsaned? I'm guessing also avoid the ones that have sap on them?
Now you make me question if there is a way I could put a bolt through the "perch" to a 2nd holder block outside the cage so I could have "perches" that only go across half of the cage.
I think I have like 4 full 2x2 in the shed. I don't remember what type of wood they are but I'm guessing it may say on the tag stapled to the end.

I was having a very similar issue with my guy a few weeks ago as he only has one leg and is about the size of an African Grey. I started wrapping fleece around all his perches and zip tied a few of his bowls in place. I've taken the poop grate from the bottom of his cage and zip tied it at the halfway mark on the cage since he never used the bottom. I've gotten a lot of great advice from everyone on AA. As far as your guy being destructive, I'm not sure what to say about that. Maybe get him an "indestructible" dog toy and keep extras on hand
Would it hurt them to eat the fleece? I don't want him to get his belly full of stuff that wont pass/would hurt him, but would like to make stuff softer for him.
I'm not really to worried about the bowl throwing. He only does it with food bowls.
Yea the destructive part makes some stuff hard to do like the zip tie. I've used them he's taken them off. I had a big piece of plexiglass on one side of his cage to stop him from spilling seed out. I zip tied it around the top bar, didnt think he could get to the ties but guess he could because we end up hearing it fall off his cage. I put it back and again he some how clipped the ties.
He's destructive but also smart I had to tie all his food doors and main door shut as he learned how to open them(makes it a little harder on me but at least it makes him safe) and we can't let him get out if were not right here to watch him(cats dogs and computers in the room). Even with all the other pets his favorite thing is to follow me around the house. I had to add a door to the hallway so I could split the house to let him walk around with me safely.
Are dog toys safe? Again I want to make sure if he eats the plastic he won't be harmed. If it is ok I have a little baby dog kong I'm guessing he'd like. I think he has played with it when I was watching him but never left alone to maybe eat a piece.
I worry a little to much about want is or isn't safe.

THANK YOU both and thank you everyone that replied so far.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
@JLcribber
John, I've never shopped for 2×4s for my birds. Can you suggest to her what to look for at the hardware store?

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
You can get pine 2 X 4's from Home Depot or Lowes or any lumber yard, just make sure they arent pressure treated.
They are usually the cheapest 2 X 4's they have. Pressure treated lumber is usually quite a bit pricier.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
Here's what I did for a few perches.
My BF believes I need 2 rods coming out of it or it may turn when he's sitting on it. I'm not sure if I really do need 2 or can get away with 1 because of how tight it is to the bars. It's better to play it safe though i don't want to scary him if he steps on 1 and it moves.
20180613_181447.jpg

I also added a cardboard floor for him. He's not so happy with all the change atm but hopefully he will like what I did.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
I really like the look of those. Do they just slide up and off? I like the look of them. I like the corner ones to.

This is the type of bowl that came with his cage. The ones he loves pulling out.
20180614_011428.jpg

This (dog bowls) is what I found that seemed to work well. They're really hard to pull out so he can't knock them over but I also find them a pain to put in and take out at the same time.

Snap’y Fit Pet Water & Feed Bowls |MidWest Homes for Pets

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Are you turning the bowls a bit after you slip them in to the holder? They aren't be removable unless you're able to turn them to align the bumps, and they aren't the easiest to turn necessarily.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
Are you turning the bowls a bit after you slip them in to the holder? They aren't be removable unless you're able to turn them to align the bumps, and they aren't the easiest to turn necessarily.
Yep. I can turn them to the middle or just slightly turn them and he always figures out the correct place to pull them out out of the holder. He seems to turn it and pull till he gets it in the right spot.
I think he has a easier time with them then I do. lol

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Those crock bowls have a sort of locking mechanism at the bottom. You have to twist them around and then the bird shouldn’t be able to remove it. I can take a picture of mine when I get home:)

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Commenting on the picture of the wood perch. It looks like you have 2 threaded on one side of it, that should be more than sufficient to keep that in place. :cool6:
You can also do bird safe branches the same way only using one on an end. I have many in both my birds cages and they dont turn and are tight. I also do
a larger branch and run it from side to side with the threaded rods on both ends. Natural branches are good for their feet, not that there is anything wrong with the 2x4 perch you made. Im
sure he will have fun tearing that up lol

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
Those crock bowls have a sort of locking mechanism at the bottom. You have to twist them around and then the bird shouldn’t be able to remove it. I can take a picture of mine when I get home:)
Thank you very much. I tried looking online fore more pictures and just couldn't seem to find one with a good angle.

Commenting on the picture of the wood perch. It looks like you have 2 threaded on one side of it, that should be more than sufficient to keep that in place. :cool6:
You can also do bird safe branches the same way only using one on an end. I have many in both my birds cages and they dont turn and are tight. I also do
a larger branch and run it from side to side with the threaded rods on both ends. Natural branches are good for their feet, not that there is anything wrong with the 2x4 perch you made. Im
sure he will have fun tearing that up lol
Thank you. I'll try them with one 1 rod next time then.
All the natural wood perches I've got him he's he treated more like new play toys then a perch. He does have 2 of them though. I'm hoping with his little peg leg a flat shelf type perch will be used. Atm he likes to plays the part of a bat hanging upside down most of the time. He normally hangs upside down to play with his toys even if there's a perch right there for him to sit on he doesn't use it. Just a guess but my guess is he finds the round perches to easy to slip off. If he's not hanging around he's normally sits on his food bowls.

I wonder if you have other puzzle toys for him to work with and stimulate his intellect. I know there are some on the market that are really difficult for a bird to disassemble. This one is a classic:

puzzle toys for african gray parrot - Bing video
Sadly I don't and I most likely should change that. Last one that was tried sat in the cage untouched so it got taken out and lost. It was one of the plastic ones u put treats in and they just turn a few piece to get food out. Maybe that is part of why he uses his bowl like a puzzle not, but to lose food not receive it. Other then that I have hide treats in toys for him to find or shred to get to.

This is like the one(on the right) he never used.

I think I found one I'd like to try. It looks like a easy one for him to get the hang of.

Bird Foraging Toys: Caitec Generation II Foraging Wheel

Maybe this one to.

Bird Foraging Toys: Caitec Push/Pull Forager Bird Toy

This one I don't think he'd like because he likes to hang upside down and don't think he'd get the rope part

Caitec Tug N Slide Tower Bird Foraging Toy: Foraging Toys for Birds

What do you guys think? Anymore links to some he may like and are easy to use? Don't want to start him out with something to hard and the ones with really small holes he'd be more likely to try breaking then figuring out.