• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage for Eclectus

Which cage is better for Doby?

• Large furniture cage

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
After Doby settles in I am thinking of changing his cage to a smaller one. I'm considering the switch for many reasons...one being the huge piece of furniture he came with takes up so much space..another is that a more traditional cage would let in a lot more light. He will be out of the cage most of the day and will only be in it when I either do errands, asleep or help get the grands from school. I think the measurement of this cage is about 4ft X 4ft X 6ft
cageA.jpg

This is the cage I want your opinion about measurement are:
  • Cage with stand: 38.3 L X 38.3 W X 65 H
  • Cage deminions 30 L X 30 W X 43 H IN
Cage.jpg

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Cage is easier to keep clean & is brighter. Wood could be problematic. Don;t think the wood cage is 4 foot is it?
38 is w seed guard? 30 inches is quite minimal but if he's out most of the time it should be OK.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
4 ft wide and 6 feet tall

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Bump again

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm also going to say the traditional cage. The furniture cage is nice but you wouldn't be able to open the door and let the bird out on its own. Most birds like to hang out on their cage sometimes and I would think a bird would chew up all the wood.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
His "furniture" cage is really big but he is never in it and takes up a ton of room and he surely can't sit on top of it. In fact theres a light that came with him that is rigged on the outside top to keep it from being so dark, another waste because as I said...he is never in the cage unless both of us are out for a short time.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Oooooh, I read it wrong, just realized you already have the furniture cage :oops: Anyway, I know there are a few people with that second cage here. Maybe try a search on the you and me cage, isn't that what it's called, from Petco? If I remember it right, it had pretty good reviews for small to medium'ish size birds.

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
If he is out of his cage most of the day I would say the cage you've shown should be large enough. I would also invest in play stand or tree that can be wheeled around. My Ekkie likes to be where I am and he will sit on his tree quietly. I have him in a double macaw cage as he can't get out as much as he or I would like.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
He had a tree stand in the living room and I bought one with wheels to pull room to room as I do things around the house. Nelson (GCC) is in the "you and me" cage right now...a slightly smaller one has been ordered for him. Once I see Doby is settled here and plucking less I will change him to the "you and me" cage. It makes me nervous making changes for him ...I count his new feathers every morning. The smaller cage is so much brighter. Maybe that doesn't matter since he is hardly ever caged.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
To make the transition easier use the "you and me" cage as a play station for Doby first. You can set his stand next to it and place some treats on the cage to encourage him to explore it himself. When he willing goes inside the cage on his own and on a regular basis I'd say he's pretty comfortable with it.

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
I want to build a habitat. I have Penelope in a small caged room, she has a large cage in the room that she eats and sleeps in but I want to take it out. I want to offer her some kind of natural tree hole that Eclectus would sleep in The Wild. Any ideas or suggestions?

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I want to build a habitat. I have Penelope in a small caged room, she has a large cage in the room that she eats and sleeps in but I want to take it out. I want to offer her some kind of natural tree hole that Eclectus would sleep in The Wild. Any ideas or suggestions?
I would caution you to provide your female with a hole or place she can nest. Females will start to nest and lay eggs if you provide them with the place to do so. My birds have my home as their "room" - I do have smaller travel cages they each have for food and sleeping if they want. Some times they go in there and sleep but most of the time you can find them on top of a perch. If you want to make a natural habitat I would build a perch system that can hang from the ceiling that will encourage your bird to move around a lot if not flighted or if flighted then perches around the home she can fly around to get exercise.

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Yes definitely do not offer a nest hole. Females do stay in nest holes in the wild, yes. But this is only because they literally spend all year defending this hole against potential invaders. Our own female ekkie was an absolute terror when she was nesty. She never wanted to move from her "nest spot", she scratched the carpet to ribbons, and she was completely uninterested in non-avian companionship. We didn't even give her a box to begin with, so I cannot imagine how bad it could have gotten if we accidentally did. Another owner from the rescue talked about how once her own female made a nest she did not leave it for 6 months out of the year. In the meantime she was completely unable to be handled. I know this sounds very doom and gloom but ekkies are very unique compared to other parrots in their breeding behavior, and this can make them difficult as pets. It's better to not encourage hormonal behavior in this way.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I bought that traditional cage with the thought of putting an eclectus in it and I absolutely wouldn't. The bar spacing is all wrong for them, if you want to go with the more traditional cage route you should get something with appropriate bar spacing and space. That cage not suitable for a bird as big as an eclectus or a grey.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I bought that traditional cage with the thought of putting an eclectus in it and I absolutely wouldn't. The bar spacing is all wrong for them, if you want to go with the more traditional cage route you should get something with appropriate bar spacing and space. That cage not suitable for a bird as big as an eclectus or a grey.
What bar spacing would you suggest?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
What bar spacing would you suggest?
3-4"-1" A dedicated eclectus could easily dislodge the bars on the cage you posted. It would be more suited for a conure or indian ringneck. If you found a used cage you like that has more appropriate spacing and bar gauge I would go with that.