• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Cleaning: A Poll

Would you pay someone to professionally clean your cages on a regular basis?

• Yes

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Depending on the types of services offered, possibly.

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I assume you could provide an option of "use provided cleaning materials" to prevent a lot of the cross contamination issues. I wouldn't want someone to bring in their own broom and vacuum, surely!

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
I assume you could provide an option of "use provided cleaning materials" to prevent a lot of the cross contamination issues. I wouldn't want someone to bring in their own broom and vacuum, surely!
Actually, I have heard of even just normal house cleaners not bringing a vacuum for sanitary reasons. Maybe part of my up front cost would be purchasing multiple brushes, buckets, etc. One for each client. I can't imagine I'd get a huge number of people in the beginning anyways, so a trip to the dollar store for sponges, brushes, etc wouldn't be expensive.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I am also on the ¨I prefer to do it myself¨ side however, you bring up a key point of people with disabilities, or getting older, or even someone who has broken their arm and is recovering, would probably love this type of service. Pet sitting is always handy too.

A hazmat suit would terrify most birds and so it is a bad idea. You would have to figure out something else to cleanse yourself between their home and your own etc.

I see while I´m typing this @Mizzely commented what I was going to say of, using only items in the cux home. Brushes, cleaning tools etc.

The other thing is you mentioned food, again, best use foods that are already in the cux home and follow the recipe that they give you.
I would be cautious advising diet etc to people. In fact, I´d say to avoid it. But you could offer to prepare the birds meals, using their regular chop, mix, veggies or w/e.

You could give recommendations on toys, cage setups, perches etc. but again, be careful taking toys from your home to their home.
You could get prices of toys from local petstores with a picture, and show them to the cux as if it were a catalogue, suggest toys that are suited to their bird size and species and offer to pick them up and deliver them when coming to clean/meal prep. That way the toy comes direct from the store to the cux home, no stopping off anywhere. I´m sure those with mobility issues would love this, or even those who don´t drive or internet order andf the bird store is too far away etc.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Good thoughts, @Zara ! It could be a great idea to reccomend a vendor they should consider for foods, then they choose themselves. Same with toys. "Your bird seems to enjoy these types of toys, this specific vendor sells a great option like that your bird might like!"
"Do you feed your bird fresh veggies or fruits? This vendor sells mixes and breads that makes it easy to feed them a balanced diet." Maybe even a list of different vendors, that way it's not like I'm endorsing a specific person, just in case...Thinking of the recent vendor drama. I'd hate to push a certain vendor, then have crap like we've dealt with come out.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Also, we're all very 'serious' bird owners...We research everything, we scrutinize everything, and our birds are our feathered babies. I wonder if the 'average' bird owner thinks like we do with this stuff, or if they just like their bird because it's cool, and wants some help to take care of them because birds make big messes every day. I'm curious as to the types of bird owners that would be attracted to this service...The person who spent thousands on a cockatoo, makes their own chop, etc, or the person who bought an Amazon 5 years ago because it talked to them at a pet store, and now it's care has gotten away from them because the new-ness wore off and life got in the way. It would be very interesting to see...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm guessing the people most interested would sadly be the people who think a bird in a cage is like fish in an aquarium :/

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
This vendor sells mixes and breads that makes it easy to feed them a balanced diet.
I would avoid the last part. You really want to keep a clean slate so that if the bird coincidentally gets sick after changing diet, they can´t try to blame you.
The list idea is a good one, a list of reputable vendors with a little list of what they sell etc. Let people come to their own conclusion.
You can definitely suggest fruit/veg to people who feed their birds seed only or pellet only etc.

I'd hate to push a certain vendor, then have crap like we've dealt with come out.
Just be honest about it to people. For eg, I ordered XYZ for XYZ vendor and it was good. or, I haven´t ordered from XYZ vendor however reviews are all 5 star.

The person who spent thousands on a cockatoo, makes their own chop, etc
These people are the ones who won´t trust anyone to care for their birds.
I agree with Shawna :(

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Most likely a lot of them at first would fall in that category..unfortunately. But like you said you could also get folks who have had birds for many years and just can’t keep up as they used to, but still want to provide the best care for their babies.

These are all great ideas and it’s definitely a lot to think about. You seem to have a great brain for this though, I’m sure you’ll be able to come up with a plan :cool: I’m excited to “watch” it happen! Good luck to you whatever you decide!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
"Your bird seems to enjoy these types of toys, this specific vendor sells a great option like that your bird might like!"
Remember that sometimes it not that a bird doesn´t like a certain toy type, it is just that they didn´t like the location of said toy. Good to keep an open mind, focus on the stuff that they are known to enjoy, but don´t write off any new toys they may not have tried befor :)
You could suggest subscription boxes, that way they get a little something different. I think about 3 AA vendors sell boxes and they cover all bird beak sizes - and a plus is that they are delivered to the cux door so you do not need to be the middle man, and even those with mobility issues can order the toys :)

Sandra Gibson

Walking the driveway
I think its a great Idea, but I only have one Bird and he gets all my attention with his cage and cleaning and with him :)

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@Sandra Gibson Same here! We've got two birds, but I'm a stay at home mom, so I've got plenty of time and an eager "helper" when it comes to the cages. I sure would love someone knowledgeable about birds to help cages for the first few weeks after our baby is born soon, though! I've debated even writing down step by step instructions for those people who visit to see the new baby and say "how can I help you?" Surprise! I've actually got ways you can help, and here's how to do it :hehe: I have a feeling nobody will visit us more than once if I actually take them up on their offer to help out around the house!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I only have one bird too but he makes enough mess for 3 :lol:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I sure would love someone knowledgeable about birds to help cages for the first few weeks after our baby is born soon, though! I've debated even writing down step by step instructions for those people who visit to see the new baby and say "how can I help you?" Surprise! I've actually got ways you can help, and here's how to do it :hehe:

:coffeescreen: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Not a bad idea.... ;)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I would love someone to help me kick out the entire room in a day like once or twice a month...walls and windows too maybe but no bowls. I have two sets of bowls and I run the dishwasher everyday.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For me if its somebody with proven experience with birds, I'd not be against someone helping to do the full clean on occasion.

There are many who won't like having somebody else do it, but surely that's also the same with regular cleaning work? Your target market would most likely be those unable to clean or unwilling. Or the criminally lazy, like me :lol:

There are likely ways to get around the hygiene issue. Disposables or as you said, equipment especially for that client.

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Sign me up!!! I hate cleaning. Don’t have any time for it either. I have 4 very messy birds. Bonus points if you also clean the walls. :mop: Actually, I'd also like someone to fill the holes in my doors and repaint my trim. Josie's "artwork" is getting a little out of control.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That's the hard part! I think I need to choose a title first. Not a bird sitter, not a groomer, not a house cleaner...Someone who helps you to live life to the fullest with your bird by assisting in the duties that come with such a pet...Complex...
I'm thinking "Feather Fairy" :fairy3:

I couldn't let anyone in to clean my home, so I don't think I would let anyone in to clean my animals either. The cleaners we have at work are actually doing such a bad job that I don't see the point in paying them, we have to clean ourselves after them, and it was the same at my former workplace so I don't really have faith in cleaning people...
I have 2 budgies and a parrotlet, it is not that much work to clean after them. The budgies do have a built-in cage, most everything stays inside, unless they sit on the open door. Under the play-stand is not so clean, but I have newspapers lined there so I just need to roll them and place new ones. The parrotlet is the messy one since he loves chop and shake his head, sending food all over the place. I just started to feed him at the bottom of his cage, which is quite deep and contains the mess. I use to take the "deep clean" as it goes, when I see a perch is dirty I take it out to wash, when there is food on the cage's sides I wipe it at once.. And as others have said, I wouldn't trust the contamination issues.

However, I would love to have someone coming home and help me train my bird. I had been dreaming of something like puppy-training classes but because of contamination that wouldn't be possible for birds, thus the "at-home" training classes would be very cool. Could also be great to get advice concerning cage settings, toys and diet!

And of course I'm sure many people would be interested in someone training their bird for them, cleaning for them, feeding for them... + the case of elders and disabled, + when you have someone knowing your birds it is easier to ask for them to drop in and feed/clean when you are on vacation, hospital or whatever. I have to go to a conference at the end of October and that's a dram for me... Should my kids sleep at their father but come here in the morning to feed the animals before school? Should I ask a friend? A neighbor? Should I send everyone to a sitter for those 2 days? If I had someone who knows them and is comfortable with feeding them, it would be easier..

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have people clean my house and they bring things that have disposable parts, like a Swiffer where they can pop on a new cloth, but for the most part the products and tools are mine. They’ll say “you’re out of xxxx cleaner.” And I buy more before the next time they come.

I feel sure bird owners, if you explain why this is important, would purchase from a list you provide.

Which is great - saves you a ton of money in supplies!

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I used to clean homes, worked for two different companies. I've seen what some house "cleaners" do. I would never hire anyone beyond my mom to clean my house, and she doesn't do birdcages :lol: