• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Cleaning: A Poll

Would you pay someone to professionally clean your cages on a regular basis?

• Yes

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Depending on the types of services offered, possibly.

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
@CrazyBirdChick , my husband had that idea too. Maybe a nice loaf of birdie bread or container of fresh chop each time I clean. Maybe even a home made toy with parts bought from one of our vendors. SO MANY IDEAS
You're a great brainstormer! Can I borrow your brain sometime? :giggle:

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
@Mizzely I've had all those pets before, so I'm definitely not shy about those! Though the commute to the UP may be a bit of gas coming from Lansing ...:hehe:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely I've had all those pets before, so I'm definitely not shy about those! Though the commute to the UP may be a bit of gas coming from Lansing ...:hehe:

LOL I am not quite that far ;) I am up in Cadillac :) I should specify Northern Lower Michigan :lol: I actually used to live in Southern Lansing for a bit several years ago!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
:lol: Sure. Just PM me your credit card number and I'll hire one tomorrow. It ain't gonna be cheap. This may require a team. :D

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
@CrazyBirdChick , my husband had that idea too. Maybe a nice loaf of birdie bread or container of fresh chop each time I clean. Maybe even a home made toy with parts bought from one of our vendors. SO MANY IDEAS
I love that idea!!! Have you started thinking of company names yet? I know you just started brainstorming and all, but naming it is the fun part:dance4:

Especially if you’re going to do something unique like bring a meal or toy with you...

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
That's the hard part! I think I need to choose a title first. Not a bird sitter, not a groomer, not a house cleaner...Someone who helps you to live life to the fullest with your bird by assisting in the duties that come with such a pet...Complex...

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
For a while, I had someone come to the house and dremel our dog's nails. Our Greyhound had massive feet and black nails which were hard to cut, and our pug is such a wiggle worm that it's a pain to clip his. So I paid $20 a dog every three weeks to get them filed nicely in our home, plus she gave wonderful advice on food, grooming, etc. She became a familiar face and enjoyed my daughter too! I should reach out to her and see how she began her business and such.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That's the hard part! I think I need to choose a title first. Not a bird sitter, not a groomer, not a house cleaner...Someone who helps you to live life to the fullest with your bird by assisting in the duties that come with such a pet...Complex...

Avian psycho. Helping you to achieve your inner bird. :)

The crazy parrot. We're as nutty about your bird's world as you are. :D

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Ooh I like that too! Especially if you’re interested in expanding to other things. My first thought was “Come clean” lol get it.. cuz you will come clean. I’m obviously not very creative and no help there, sorry but I agree talking to the lady who trimmed your dogs nails is a great idea. She would have many tips I’m sure :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do not trust anyone else to do the sorts of cleaning that are extra important to me.
I would be happy for someone to come clean my yard, windows, vac and mop my floors or clean my car but when it comes to areas like my kitchen, bathroom and especially Burt's belongings and areas I need to know what has been used and exactly how well things have been cleaned so I would not be comfortable unless I was watching like a hawk which would not be fun for the cleaner or for me, plus I can guarantee I would not feel comfortable about it all till I went over it myself anyway to ensure it was done to my standard.
I would totally love to be able to afford to pay someone to do all the other things I mentioned so I did not have to worry about those things :)

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
I would be too paranoid about cross-contamination even if such a service were offered. Considering there's parasites that can have dormant eggs/ forms until woken up with favourable agents, fungi and mould spores, bacteria and viruses, and now ( possibly hypothetical? ) prions... Besides the full body hazmat barrier, cleaning equipment such as brushes, scrubs and vacuums can also be a form of cross-contamination. The filters have a limitation to particle size. I'm always a bit nervous after visiting the bird shop, straight home to the shower and change of clothes, and then really hoping nothing aggressive has stayed on me despite the warm water and soap.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
No I would certainly not. I wouldn't trust anyone else to do a proper job no matter how 'professional'. Besides, I'd be watching over their shoulder so closely it'd be like I was doing it anyway.

Lynn L.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn
Although I wouldn't pay for it, I think it's a great idea. There are people that make a living cleaning up yards after dogs. This could be made into a very similar business and like you pointed out, there are a lot of add-on services.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
After deep cleaning all day yesterday I should have voted heck yeah but I said depending on the service.

Oh and my own darling Ernie who hasn’t bitten me in years chased me around his cage trying to bite. Normally he moves over or gets on me.

A lot of my decision would be based on how well you convince me you’re using safe products and you know about cross contamination etc.

Names
Bird Care Solutions
Birdya

Last edited: