• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Cleaning: A Poll

Would you pay someone to professionally clean your cages on a regular basis?

• Yes

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Depending on the types of services offered, possibly.

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Just doing some research for an idea that I had, but is still in the very very beginning thoughts....

Would you pay someone to clean your bird cages regularly? I'm talking vacuuming, scrub, steam cleaned, washed bowls and perches, etc. A DEEP clean.

What kind of birds do you have?

Would you also need a bird area of your home cleaned, like a bird room, or play gym area?

I had a dream today while napping and when I woke up, I decided to write down the ideas I dreamed up, but your input would help me organize my thoughts a bit. Thanks!!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
If I had the money I definitely would! There a College with a vet tech course near me so the a student there might be the ideal candidate. I'd go for a deep clean too.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I think it'd be a nice to hire soneone to help every once in a while. But some birds are cage aggressive so I don't know how that would go over with a new person coming in and touching the birds things.

Are you thinking of starting a business? :)

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@CrazyBirdChick possibly! I've been cleaning houses and nannying for a while, but it's not my thing. I'd like to work with birds, and help pet birds live a better life, but I simply don't have the resources or lifestyle to open a rescue or anything. I'm nowhere near qualified to work on bird behavior problems. But, I'm capable of maintaining a clean environment and helping to provide guidance on basic care like food, toys, being social with your bird, etc.
I just imagine a bird like Sonny...Let's say twice a week, someone came into his home and cleaned it up, washed his bowls, etc. Then that person was able to give his owner resources on the types of foods he should be eating, and educating his owner on the importance of toys and stimulation.
He might still live alone in his room, but in a small way, his life would be better. Same goes for the antique store birds...If they had clean cages and adequate food, they'd be better off for it.
People like birds, but they don't like the work, and ignorance hurts these birds in the long run. Imagine if there was a way to help birds, and help their owners by allowing them to focus on their bird, not their diets or messes.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That's a really neat idea and would be so rewarding! If you do decide to try I wish you much luck!

I'm a dog walker and I've considered expanding into bird care as well but I'm so darn paranoid. I'm afraid I'd bring some kind of virus or bacteria or disease home to Blu. I know I could take biohazard showers everyday, I guess, but I'm still nervous.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I chose depends on the services as I also enjoy the cage cleaning. At least the daily change of papers, wipe down and bowl exchange...my birds always get happy and start jumping on my hands cuz they know this means fresh veg and food bowls are on the way ;)

Now the deep clean, removing everything etc. that I don’t love. Not one bit lol
I did also think about the comment above mentioning cage aggression. This could be a cool biz idea, but for many birbs they may need to be in a separate room while a stranger dismantles their home.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Plus, maintaining bird health is another consideration...A full hazmat suit would be needed I think, one that can be tossed in the garbage in that bird's home, so it never comes into another bird's home. Like I said, so many ideas, so much to think about!!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Plus, maintaining bird health is another consideration...A full hazmat suit would be needed I think, one that can be tossed in the garbage in that bird's home, so it never comes into another bird's home. Like I said, so many ideas, so much to think about!!
Now that's a good thought!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@JoJo&Loki I wonder if having the bird already in a travel crate by the cleaning time would be a smart rule to have. Even a non cage aggressive bird could get spooked, plus, I'm not sure I like the thought of trying to put another person's bird away, or allowing the bird out to roam while I clean. Who knows what precautions people have taken to bird proof their home, or not.
Definitely adding that to my list of things to think about...Bird must be in separate room or travel carrier in order for the cleaning to be completed, unless the owner is home to assume full Birdy babysitting duties. Lol

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
That is good thinking! The owner should definitely be responsible for getting the bird to a safe place away from the cage prior.

This is a really cool idea- can’t wait to hear what all you come up with! And like you said, you’ll be doing what you love- so what can be better than that!?

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I personally would if the price was right. I'm disabled and my health has been declining lately so it would be nice to know that my babies would be taken care of regardless when I need the service. As of now I have to divide the tasks over a lot of days to be able to get it all done and it takes a lot out of me, but I don't want to let them suffer at all because of my issues.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@AkasyaEllric That was a thought I had too...So many people have birds for decades, and maybe they can't keep up like they used to. Maybe someone is going through family trouble, and the birds have taken a back burner for now. I know that if I had someone I trusted, I'd be booking my cage cleanings now knowing that I'm having a baby any day now. It would be a big load off for some people to know that their only responsibility that day is to enjoy and love their birdies, and someone else has done the dirty work!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
The other thing I would suggest looking into is what insurance would cost to do this. When I had the idea to do education shows before that was the first thing I was told to look into. That way you're covered if anything does happen.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I would love it if some could prepare Blu's breakfast and dinner. That's the one thing I don't really enjoy doing.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Only if you do rat cages, a leopard tank, and a litter box too :lol:

If the price was right, and I had the money, definitely.