• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage choices for my new cockatiel and how many toys?

Anna205

Strolling the yard
Hello! So, I am brand new on this forum, and brand new to bird ownership (technically) I haven't had any bird yet, but in a few months (likely July, August at the latest) I'll be getting a beautiful hand reared male cockatiel! But I am struggling to find the perfect cage. I live in Ireland so anywhere online that sells cages to Europe. I am currently looking at the Oregon Bird Cage Liberta (it's a flight cage) and I was wondering if it's good enough for just one cockaiel? He will be out the majority of the day, although I have school from 8-4pm, and on Fridays it's until 2.30pm, and Monday it's 3.15pm! I do also have horse riding for 2 hours on Saturday, but that is all I do. I get up at 7am so I hope to be able to take my bird out for at least 30 minutes in the morning, and he will be out for just about he rest of he day, unless something surprising comes up. I also don't plan to have a schedule or routine everyday, just in case one day I need to go somewhere and he won't be all freaked out that the routine is messed up. I feel like I'm getting side tracked. I am looking for a good cage that ships to Europe (and isn't over €150) for my soon to be bird. Also, how many toys should I have I have cage? When he first gets home should I have only 4-5 ), and when he's used to the place, how many is too many? Does it depend on the bird? I honestly feel like I'm being so annoying haha, but I want to get as much information as possible :) I've been researching on cockatiels for over a year now, but you can never have to much Thank you so much to whoever is actually bothered to read all this!

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
The dimensions: 52 x 78 x 150 cm
It looks like a very good cage for a cockatiel :D

I usually have 5-6 toys in a cage at a time and rotate every week or every other week. I have perches at the top, middle, and closer to the bottom so that more space can be utilized if desired. It might take a couple tries to get used to where to place and where not to place perches and toys so they don't get pooped on. Once you get the hang of it then it comes naturally.
:hehe:

JCG351

Meeting neighbors
In toy aspect, I would say 4-6 is good for a birdie. I typically have 3 since my current cage is temporary as we set up the new one. I plan to have around 5-6 in that one to make up for the large family. But I will say my female mostly tends to shred the toys fairly fast so I avoid straws or anything with paper like material involved, hopefully, your birdie doesn't do the same. But all is well it just means I get to see what they enjoy best. Also for perches a vet recommended to me when I first started natural wood with various texture is best for their feet. I have mine aligned perpendicular and diagonal to act like a staircase...as well as a staircase so they begin to learn how to climb it.Can't wait to see your bird when you get it!

Anna205

Strolling the yard
In toy aspect, I would say 4-6 is good for a birdie. I typically have 3 since my current cage is temporary as we set up the new one. I plan to have around 5-6 in that one to make up for the large family. But I will say my female mostly tends to shred the toys fairly fast so I avoid straws or anything with paper like material involved, hopefully, your birdie doesn't do the same. But all is well it just means I get to see what they enjoy best. Also for perches a vet recommended to me when I first started natural wood with various texture is best for their feet. I have mine aligned perpendicular and diagonal to act like a staircase...as well as a staircase so they begin to learn how to climb it.Can't wait to see your bird when you get it!
Thank you so much! I do already have 12 perches (all either natural or rope, although one of them is a rubber like bendy perch) and 17 toys! I will of course be adding more of each in the future :) I also want to make my own toys as it's good fun (I may have made some already...) haha

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Baby tiels are notoriously clumsy I would initially keep the perches low in the cage in case he falls. Also, I would not put a lot of stuff in at first. Let him get used to things, the cage etc. I probably would only put a couple toys in at first and then have up to 4-5 after you see how he's doing. You definitely want him to have room to move around.