• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage arrived with bent bars

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
The cage I’ve been waiting months for arrived with a hole in the box with bent bars.
On another side it was bent too but I managed to get that one bent back. This one was bent worse but I tried to push it back as well. I know how important bar spacing is and even if I can get them pushed back, but if they’re not exactly 5/8 straight again, could that be dangerous?

If I wrapped the bars with vet tape would that be better after I try bending it back?

This is for a green cheek conure that will be about 3-4 months when I get him

A&E Cage Company 32" X 23" Play Top Bird Cage in White | Petco

I bought it through amazon

Amazon.com : A&E Cage 8003223 White Play Top Bird Cage with 5/8" Bar Spacing, 32" x 23" : Birdcages : Pet Supplies

Pictures-
Screenshot by Lightshot

Screenshot by Lightshot

Last edited:

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
The cage was rusted as well as bent.
I’m calling the company tomorrow, who I’ve already called at least 5 times this month asking if this cage is back in stock yet.
Waited literal months for this, so unfortunate that it arrived rusted and bent.
Hopefully I can get a replacement.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Yuck! Hope they actually replace it, sounds awful! I would hold off on the bird until you get a replacement.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I think if you bend the bar as best you can to straighten it...........it will be fine. If it's a tad bit off I don't think a Green Cheek Conure could slide through as an adult, anyway, unless really bent out of shape. That's just my opinion. I would be mostly mad that it arrived damaged. Such a hassle to send back, I understand not wanting to deal with that. I believe that your bird will just work on that vet tape until it is in shreds. Now I just noticed your post about the rust.........definitely send it back. Can you find that same cage from another vendor? a more reliable vendor? Good luck with this, I totally get how frustrating this is.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Oh how upsetting!!

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
Someone who reviewed it on petco said that they contacted the company for a replacement and it never came...I hope they can send a replacement and that it won't take ages.

Here is some of the rust, most of it is on the front of the cage where the door is and the back of the cage has a bit too, but not as bad. The front and back had a couple of bent bars and the bars that stick out to hold the tray, one side was fine, other side was bent up so the tray wouldn't lay flat.

Pictures of the rust on front inside of the cage-
Screenshot by Lightshot
Screenshot by Lightshot
Screenshot by Lightshot
Screenshot by Lightshot
Screenshot by Lightshot

Do I need to take a picture of everything that is wrong with it? I'm going to call tomorrow as well as send an email with pictures.

The breeder I'm getting my baby boy from was hoping to have more by late summer, but that turned into late fall. She sells by waitlist too so if he's ready before I get this cage, I might have to wait months again. :(

This will be my first bird too and I'm truly surprised at how difficult it is to get a cage. There is a backup one I could buy, it's a flight cage with the same dimensions roughly, also by A & E so if needed I could go with that.

Last edited:

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
I got the replacement cage and it’s rusted just as bad if not worse than the first one. I don’t know what to do now.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got the replacement cage and it’s rusted just as bad if not worse than the first one. I don’t know what to do now.
Tell Amazon that the cage is in bad condition and unacceptable and you want to send it back for a refund. If it was sold by a third party and just fulfilled via Amazon then you will need to call that third part vendor. If you purchased from Petco then you can box it up and return it to the store if you have one local to you but do contact them first. Also let A&E know. That is absolutely not acceptable.

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
Tell Amazon that the cage is in bad condition and unacceptable and you want to send it back for a refund. If it was sold by a third party and just fulfilled via Amazon then you will need to call that third part vendor. Also let A&E know. That is absolutely not acceptable.
I went through a & e and they’re the ones who sent out the replacement. There’s even orange stuff on the bubble wrap. Is there a way to remove rust without repainting the cage?

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I got Valentines cage (A&E) set up and steamed, it arrived in a beat up box but it was perfect. I am so sorry this is happening to you, maybe you ought to go with another company. Contact A&E, let them know the problems and who sent it to you. (Amazon) Looked at your pics again and that is totally unacceptable. Is there a seller that goes thru Amazon? Let whoever you talk to let them know you have pics of the damage

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
What absolute disregard for you as a customer. That's disgusting!

I had to scrape many years' worth of rust from my macaw's cage when I adopted him. Tin foil works wonders! It doesn't scratch up the powder coating like steel wool, but you go through a LOT of it. Then a good wash to get rid of all the gunk you've scraped off.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
One more thing, dont do anything to the cage, leave as is. If you have spoken to A&E, when you call, ask for their president, I have done that with another co. and I got a return call the next day by a supervisor who handles that department

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I went through a & e and they’re the ones who sent out the replacement. There’s even orange stuff on the bubble wrap. Is there a way to remove rust without repainting the cage?
Do not do anything to the cage. Call the seller and also call A&E and let them know that the replacement is rusty, too, and that is not acceptable. It's a brand new cage and there should not be any rust. You may want to consider getting a refund and trying a different brand.

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
The part that is rusted the most is the side of the cage with the front door on it. The other parts where the rust is the bird won’t come in contact with it as it’s where the tray sits. I might try to get those off with tin foil and then just cover it with vet wrap. But it’s also bent.
I know it’s just a cage but this is so discouraging. I was told it would be inspected because the lady at a&e even said it’s unacceptable. This cage is so beautiful too, very spacious.

I called the only bird store I know of on this side of my state and they said that rust won’t hurt the bird and that to cover it with clear acrylic paint. That doesn’t sound safe and I know that rust most definitely harms birds.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You paid good $ for a new cage; you haven't received one. Send it back for a refund. Call the company and get the extension number of the person to whom you speak to set up the return. Check in with them regularly until you get the money. If you paid by credit card, contest it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The part that is rusted the most is the side of the cage with the front door on it. The other parts where the rust is the bird won’t come in contact with it as it’s where the tray sits. I might try to get those off with tin foil and then just cover it with vet wrap. But it’s also bent.
I know it’s just a cage but this is so discouraging. I was told it would be inspected because the lady at a&e even said it’s unacceptable. This cage is so beautiful too, very spacious.

I called the only bird store I know of on this side of my state and they said that rust won’t hurt the bird and that to cover it with clear acrylic paint. That doesn’t sound safe and I know that rust most definitely harms birds.
Doesn't matter where the rust is. Brand new cage = NO rust. As I wrote previously, don't do anything to the cage. Take photos and let the vendor and A&E know that you are disappointed, dissatisfied and displeased. Request a refund since it doesn't seem as if they are able to send you a replacement that is in good condition.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
A&e has a tendency to ship sub par products. My old cage was 4 years old and rusty like it had been used for decades.

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
You guys are right, it’s probably better I find a whole different one that isn’t from a&e.

I’ll try to call today, hopefully they’re still open.

What brands do you guys use or would recommend?