• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage and Hand Problems

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
The lady who we got Isla from had her in a Vision cage and I just noticed she had chewed through the plastic and could easily escape during the night if she wanted to and the cage was falling apart. We got her a MUCH larger completely metal cage and she hates it. There isn't really a way I can slowly switch her to the other one since her other cage is literally falling apart. I kept her old cage open today and she flew to it as soon as I opened her new cage today and had been sitting on it all morning.

On a new topic, she's come a long way, the lady who had her before, her grandchildren would constantly reach their hands into her cage to grab her. Yesterday when I went to her (old) cage to let her out I put my finger in and told her to step up and she did FROM INSIDE THE CAGE which was a huge first for me and her. After 2 months of having her she's finally stepping up and will eat out of my hand but if she's just sitting somewhere and I move my hand even in the direction towards her, she'll scream and run away. I'm really happy on how far she has come though, she'll give kisses and loves to be on your shoulder, hands is the only problem at this point. Wondering how to start trying to fix that? Will she ever not run or let me pet her?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm trying to convince Aoife, my lovebird, to check out her new cage. It's much bigger and it's been just sitting in the bird room for her to look at for a little over a week now. The other day I tried to just put her on the play area on top but she flew off. She eyes it, but has yet to investigate. She's not really food motivated so treats won't convince her. Her current cage isn't falling apart, it's just I wanted to upgrade and give her more room, so I definitely am in a similar situation. I've started moving some of her favorite toys into it, so hopefully soon she'll check it out. How long have you had the new cage? Is it all set up for her?

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I wouldn't keep the old cage in the room, personally. I've always found that new cage transitions go much better if the old one is removed from the picture entirely.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wouldn't keep the old cage in the room, personally. I've always found that new cage transitions go much better if the old one is removed from the picture entirely.

Same :) they adapt!

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
So just get them in there and let them deal?
I think a large part of the problem with transitioning to a new cage when the old one is still in the room is that you're putting them in the "wrong" cage. Their territory is clearly over there in the other cage and they want to get back to it. But if their territory isn't there, then they need to establish a new one.

Though fear of the new cage might be the problem for some birds, for most I believe it's more just the stress of not being able to get to where they "belong."

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Lucy was so territorial about Sergei even being under her cage that I bought a big double cage (with a divider). I moved them in, sold their old cages and never let them see them again. Now neither of them is territorial and they get along much better!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I had a vision cage at one time, they are eye catching to the human. However I found them to be so poorly constructed, unstable and not easily cleaned. I actually threw it in the dumpster. People still keep on buying them. The price you pay for a Vision cage almost comes to the price of a good flight cage on wheels.

birderkb

Moving in
Lady Jane, I so agree that the Vision cage is a disaster of a product. I inherited one and don't use it anymore except if I need an emergency cage. Its difficult to use with its flimsy horizontal bars (adding cups, water bowls, perches, clips), the corners don't come together (had to use zip ties), the door is two small pieces that want to fall inside (zip ties again), the accessories that come with it (treat cups and perches) are awful, so much cage space is wasted by that clear plastic bubble at the bottom (the seed catcher I guess), and its a nightmare to clean if you have to leave the birds in it while cleaning (my finch).

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm planning on making the move tomorrow now. Her new cage is the 62" Prevue with play top. I like the floor cages. My cats are supervised when the birds are out but I prefer a cage that cant accidentally get knocked over.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Her new cage is the 62" Prevue with play top.
That's the exact cage we got Isla! Insane coincidence.

Does anyone have any advice on hand taming? Thank you for the cage advice, she's finally adjusted.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It may come in time. The more you push her the longer it will take in my experience. You just have to go at her speed. Try tempting her with treats away from the cage. Try to find the closest distance she will come to you to to get it. And then just slowly close that distance over several weeks.

However, I had a Hahns that was SUPER afraid of hands. She and I were best pals and she would snuggle and kiss and live on my shoulder forever. But she would NOT let me touch her. For her, we had success stepping up onto a rope perch or onto an arm.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
That's the exact cage we got Isla! Insane coincidence.

It looks like the perfect size! Aoife's in a 18x18x22 right now, she loves to scamper up and down so I just know she's going to love having the extra foot or so. Most floor cages are way too big, so this is a good small bird one.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I think a large part of the problem with transitioning to a new cage when the old one is still in the room is that you're putting them in the "wrong" cage. Their territory is clearly over there in the other cage and they want to get back to it. But if their territory isn't there, then they need to establish a new one.

Though fear of the new cage might be the problem for some birds, for most I believe it's more just the stress of not being able to get to where they "belong."

That's excellent advice! I'm great at deciphering what my cats want, but I'm new to birds so I definitely have to keep learning how they think.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When Gigi transitioned into her new cage I built in front of her. I set it up with exactly the same toys and perches in the exact location as the old cage. I bought doubles of everything. That afternoon I put her in it for a few hours with the door open. The next day I did the same. The following day I put her in the cage early in the day, closed the door and took away the old cage. It was smooth sailing. She did not show any sign of stress over the move. I gradually changed up some perch positions and toys.