• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CAG with one leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parrotadise

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I think you would make a perfect mom and you can do this!!! :dance4: please update us of your decision. Good luck

LADyver

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
So I went to the store and played with a 3 month old Hyacinth today (already sold but staying in the store until November at the earliest or whenever he decides he's completely weaned). The entire time I was thinking "something like this or Spike?". Both are sooooo different, but at least with Spike I know exactly what I'm getting myself into. I still have the welts on my arm from the baby Hy this morning.:D Spike is super-QUIET except for her endless talking, which I love and laugh at. She's not a 100% one-person bird, she's a cuddler, I can flip her upside down and all over, she doesn't pluck, she's laid-back, she tries to be friends with our caique (he doesn't try back, AT ALL), she doesn't freak out in the car, and she's totally fine with our labs running around and bumping into her cage to get at the food she's dropped. She's all of this despite the fact she went through the horror of losing her leg to a raccoon. Sometimes I think things are brought to us for a reason, so while a Hy and a Grey are worlds apart and I've been bitten by more Greys than I can count, Spike is different. She's made us laugh every day while she's been with us. How can you not love a bird that takes the effort with one leg to hang upside down from the inside roof of her cage, rattle the top tray and yell "EARTHQUAKE!" (we're in California). I think I'm pretty close to my decision....she's a grey Hy with a red tail that hates men and doesn't care to be the center of attention. She's basically a perfect parrot with the exception of the hating men thing, but Birdy in VT's post gives me hope. She's a converted seed junkie so if my husband becomes the sole giver of her daily tsp of seed and gives her one here and there, we could use it to our advantage. :D

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds like your doing what your heart tells you.:hug8::heart:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Lots of info on the net for handicapped birds and in fact some good information here. My CAG, Ava, had NO feet. She could balance on a perch if she needed to but did so much better with corner perches and platforms. I could put padding on the platform and I made mini pillow cases that side over everything. I could then just wash the pillow case. Grapevine perches work also. You want ones that have a v. Mine perched on the front and her tail rested on the back perch. She then pooped in between the two branches. Sand blasted grapevine also keeps them from sliding

I have platform walks from Oliver Garden toys. ALL my birds love them. You can get the sky walk with a cutout. The platforms have little plastic toys fitted in. Mine love standing on the platform and playing with the toy. They are a little pricey but SO worth the money. A day doesn't go by that the LSC too, Scarlet, Vasa, and goffin are not playing or on this platform. My quaker has the watermelon platform that she is always on. This is one item I will purchase more of because they had such a good reception from ALL of my parrots.

Parront

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Annrose
OMG...I hope that you decide to keep her! She sounds like an absolute doll!
In reading about things for you to make for her, I make a playpen tent that is a big hit with handicapped birds.
If you go to my site, and look under convertible tents you can see the playpen tents. This pic is for modeling only. The site shows the proper way to hang them. There is also
a wonderful note under my feedback, for the last Grey that I sent a playpen to, who is severly handicapped.

100_1593a_op_640x604[1].jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.