• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CAG toes and feet

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Hi,
I wanted to know if people see issues with the toes of a CAG very often. I have put down a deposit but the CAG’s outside toes point backward instead of forward and it is obviously congenital. The baby is huge. The breeder has stated that is has happened before and he plans to have them removed. Should I be concerned? I had a rescue Senegal who constantly slipped off everything because she was missing a toe off each foot. Any information/recommendations would be appreciated. Than

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My rescue CAG Kamara has some real messed up feets, but I don't know the cause in her case. Though she isn't missing whole toes, some toes are partly missing, and all of them are bent in the wrong direction or somehow misshapen.

Luckily, she gets around very well, and though she has a hard time gripping perches that should be the right size, she can keep her balance on oversized branches and platform perches.

Your baby may need some modifications to his cage when he comes home, but he should manage okay. Babies are resilient and learn to cope with disabilities. :)

20180616_183755.jpg Screenshot_20180628-191105.png

Kodigirl210

I appreciate the information. Looking at your girl’s feet makes me wonder if I should have him just leave them on and see how they develop. At worst they might have to be removed later but at best might still provide a stability factor. Thank you for sharing!