• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CAG and a Conure

nm0710

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nicole
I really would like to get a CAG preferably a male. I'm definitely open to a rehome/rescue as long as there aren't major behavioral problems that I'm unable to handle.

I currently have a Blue Crowned Conure, I know CAG are "dusty" birds. How far away would I need to keep Zazu away from him? Also, can they/would they interact?

Zazu has always had a very big interest in other birds, our vet has a macaw and an Amazon. She loves talking to them and looking at them but they just weren't having it.

I know African Greys are EXTREMELY smart, which is why I really want one. They are so so interesting. Do they need even more enrichment and time than other parrots?

I think I need just some input from those who actually have these birds rather than some articles online.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
There's no way I would let birds with that much of a size difference interact. I have seen many, many little birds severely injured or killed by bigger birds. Including stories here on this forum. If Zazu is interested in interacting with another bird I would consider a bird of a similar size to him.

Greys can become very phobic and neurotic, so it's important to socialize them well. I don't think they need more enrichment then other species of parrots, but you may need to switch up the types of enrichment more often. The time commitment will also be the same as another parrot. Greys are very smart, but so are the other parrots kept as pets.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I don't know that the size difference is that big. CAGs can vary greatly in size and you could find a smaller adult. What I would be more worried about is the dust. Conures are very closely related to Macaws and Macaws, specifically B&Gs are susceptible to PHS. I had a Patagonian Conure who I had to rehome after doing some pretty nasty damage to her lungs due to my dusty birds. We thought she had Aspen at first. I was absolutely heartbroken but she lived a great life for several more years with a friend of mine. Now I have a house full of dusty birds and some people do dusty birds with Macs and Conures and never have a problem. I personally won't ever do it again.

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
I think it's not how far away they'd have to be kept but how many air filters you can have running at all times. In my personal experience with my greys and cockatiel is that they only got offended and would lunge when the cockatiel came to them on accident. I don't think greys are likely to go after Zazu, but would she try to interact with the grey? Greys definitely need more enrichment than a conure. Mine needs to see mommy 24/7 or he gets scared. He also requires a giant jungle gym and toys to hang from and screech at the top of his little lungs...I spoil him :shifty: Greys really do need more mental stimulation though and always need to have new things in their environment to combat their phobic nature.