• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cables to help hold down bird cage?

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
So, I've been wondering for a while if bungie cords were ever used to secure bird cages to a wall or shelf to prevent them being knocked over by cats, humans, or general shaking. I looked it up, and have never heard of it being used for bird cages. Does anyone do this?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I personally would be hesitant using bungee cords for the simple fact that if they let loose at one end they spring back with an almighty power. Maybe something like seat belt material or ratchet straps would be a safer choice.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I wouldn't, personally. If there's an emergency, I want to be able to get my birds and my family out, pronto!

What is your setup like? Decent furniture shouldn't topple that easily, and if the cages have any significant weight to them (they should, unless they're cheaply made and tiny) there really shouldn't be an issue. Please don't let the cats in to the same room as your birds.

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
Hmm. That makes sense. The cage is on a desk. I wanted to use something that i could easily unhook in case of emergency, but be safe just in case the desk the cage is on or the cage its self accidentally gets raddled.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
If it's an emergency where I have a bit of time to prepare (like a storm and it's heading our direction), I'll grab my "go bag", put the birds in their carriers, and away we go!

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Cats really shouldn't have access to the cage either way. They don't have to knock a cage over to do harm. Any humans with access to the cage should know to be careful around it, too.

As for the desk rattling, I haven't noticed an issue with my cages falling over when I bump a table with my knees. They tend to be pretty bottom heavy.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie