• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buying List

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
I don't have the same as what you want but I know a cage as large as possible (they are so crazy active:faint:!) And many chew toys. Lots of types of woods (that are safe of course). My Eros loves chewing on thin sticks as he can shred them better. Anything safe that they can hang on too. Sorry I can't help more:(
Good luck!:heart:

joshuas.0718

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Joshua Saarela
But in general this is a good starting point correct? Or are you thinking a bigger cage than that? I am not too worried about the toys, because I can easily buy more.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I think that cage will be just fine...........are you getting one or two Lovebirds? That cage will be fine for a pair especially if you are planning to let them out frequently.

joshuas.0718

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Joshua Saarela
I will just be getting one lovebird and will let him/her out very frequently and spend a large amount of time with them.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
You might be interested in reading "Boba's updates" under Lovebird Lane.........he just has one Fischer's Lovebird and chronicles his growth and activities. You might enjoy reading that........his journey with his bird. They love to forage they love to shred they love to hang upside down and climb all over everything. Your toys will be appreciated, just make sure you have lots of toys and you rotate them taking some away and adding something different. Also, what I have learned is take all the time you need with your new bird. Don't force your bird to interact with you until it's ready. They will respond to you and be willing to come to you when they feel they can trust you. So respect their cage territory and treat them to millet or whatever goodies your bird ends up loving and use that to begin to forge a relationship with your new Lovebird. I am getting ready to pull the trigger myself on two lovebirds. Just had my home painted so letting paint cure and fumes to dissipate. But By next month I should have my two lovie's. I've learned so much by reading these threads..........Foodcourt is great for feeding ideas and recipes.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
I'd avoid getting the nesting material thing - there's really no need to promote nesting behaviour in a single pet bird.

I find that my two seem to really like balsa as well. If ever you're looking for more shreddable toys, I'd give it a go. Sea grass is also a popular choice around here, if that helps.

You may also want to buy an extra dish or two - if your bird ends up being like either of mine, they'll soak their pellets before eating them and should have access to other clean water sources once they soil one.

Also, in terms of food - you'll want both a stock of seeds and a pellets. A full seed diet leads to fatty liver disease which really shortens the lifespan. Most here offer pelleted diets supplemented with seed and veggies. It's also best if your seed mix doesn't contain peanuts (I didn't really read the ingredients for the one you chose - but just letting you know) as these nuts are prone to carrying funghi. I feed my birds Zupreem pellets and seeds but I've heard Harrison's is really good quality.

Good luck with your list! :D

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Kaytee is a low quality food. I would not feed any of their products.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aren't you also considering a Meyer's? Are you getting both or just one or the other?

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I find that my two seem to really like balsa as well. If ever you're looking for more shreddable toys, I'd give it a go. Sea grass is also a popular choice around here, if that helps.

I've found that balsa is relatively cheap to buy at craft stores! So if you need more or want to make your own toys you can look there.

I also would strongly suggest not buying anything KayTee brand. They're a horrible company from what I hear, and I've heard horror stories of the kinds of things that are in their pet foods - not just bird food.