• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buying a bird online

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
A lot of the larger parrots around today are still first gen captive-bred. Breeders discovered that wild caught birds were much more prolific and so in some cases they are still relying on them.
Part of the reason why parrots are becoming so much more expensive is because the wild caught breeders are getting old and their captive bred descendents are nowhere near as prolific.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
There are reputable places that ship birds, but they ship through Delta or United. You have to go to the airport to pick them up.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I've heard such terrible things about that place. I wouldn't do it.
Finch farm is a mass breeder and overcharges for all of their birds, from society finches to macaws. They claim to have free shipping but charge $100 for a shipping box, they charge $100 for dna as well iirc. I got Dexter online, from delorce’s bird barn, which, at the time, I was unaware was generally considered a bad breeder and whose aviary has since burnt down in a fire. Shipping anything besides chickens in the mail is actually illegal, it’s just the postal system won’t check to make sure you’ve got chickens and not flighted birds. I know about the site because I like to fantasy shop for birds, I’ve never bought from them. Their reviews seem extremely positive because they curate their reviews and won’t post anything even a little negative.
The Finch Farm recently changed hands I think. They’re in Miami and I noticed they’re changing the website slowly... not positive about it but seems like new owners to me.

So maybe the things you heard aren’t the case now.

They are not breeders, AFAIK, but rather they have breeders to draw on for the many species they carry.

Now I’m not pro or con, I don’t have a dog in this race. I too fantasy shop there, they carry many birds I would like to own.

I know many finch people who have bought from them, and only 2 negative stories - but you know how those get shared so it eventually feels like there are lots of neg. stories!

The prices are basically double what a breeder would charge, at least around here. But if you can’t find what you want locally, at least it is an option.

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
The Finch Farm recently changed hands I think. They’re in Miami and I noticed they’re changing the website slowly... not positive about it but seems like new owners to me.

So maybe the things you heard aren’t the case now.

They are not breeders, AFAIK, but rather they have breeders to draw on for the many species they carry.

Now I’m not pro or con, I don’t have a dog in this race. I too fantasy shop there, they carry many birds I would like to own.

I know many finch people who have bought from them, and only 2 negative stories - but you know how those get shared so it eventually feels like there are lots of neg. stories!

The prices are basically double what a breeder would charge, at least around here. But if you can’t find what you want locally, at least it is an option.
That would make a lot more sense that they're not breeders. I noticed they had an application on their website but only for marketing and shipping positions, not for managing any birds. That makes me feel a little better about them. Not sure I would use them, but it's good to hear the birds might not be in poor conditions

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
There are reputable places that ship birds, but they ship through Delta or United. You have to go to the airport to pick them up.
I never heard about picking up at an airport, but that sounds a looot safer

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I have no plans of buying another bird and definitely not online, but I did come across this website called "the finch farm" while I was looking through bird images. They have a huge variety of different birds, both big and small, that they can ship out to your local post office for you to pick up. I was just wondering, has anyone ever ordered a bird online? Is this a safe way of purchasing a bird? It sounds a little sketchy, but I could be completely wrong.

Here is their website in case anyone is interested
www.thefinchfarm.com

Too much stress on bird...second, no one is liable to feed or water them. Ups doesn't have that responsibility. Third, travel conditions in hot climate, not guaranteeing the health of the bird, should it get hot and over heat.
My opinion, not worth doing that to a bird.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That would make a lot more sense that they're not breeders. I noticed they had an application on their website but only for marketing and shipping positions, not for managing any birds. That makes me feel a little better about them. Not sure I would use them, but it's good to hear the birds might not be in poor conditions
Yes

Airlines are great with birds. They check the flight connections - won't let them fly more than 4 or 6 hours at a time, then at the layover they feed and water them. You pick them up at the Cargo bay at the end, and the workers always seem happy to have the birds there.

Shipping via USPS is not bad either. You can do that with birds that weigh under 2 oz or something like that. I have it down to a science. We drop them at a PO in Fort Myers an hour before the flight leaves - so they don't sit in heat. The airplane is cooled it's not like riding in cargo. Then as soon as they arrive, the local PO calls the buyer and lets them know. Only 2 problems I've encountered: 1 . They will SAY they won't arrive for a couple days, even though I pay for overnight. So the buyer always panics, and then gets them in 24 hours but they're upset and I do a lot of hand-holding. 2. They've just upped the price so it's close to the cost of airlines. I say go with airline for only $10 more.... of course the box costs a lot more with airlines. Different requirements.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jaden flew from VA to So. Calif. along with his brother. They parted company I think in TX, switched planes and then flew to their destination airports.
My dog was shipped from Hungary to So. CA. I was stressed when Jaden was shipped and a wreck when Kosmo was shipped.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I haven't handled any birds that were wild caught or even second generation wild caught. It seems like they would be harder to work with. I'm glad your birdies found a good home with you :D
Charlie was hand raised so he's pretty "domesticated" as far as a conure can be! I've been told that he's not a typical conure, but he's far more typical than my first one was! (as per the description of conures!)

Might result in some hilarious comments! ;) Things such as "Is that a monkey?" or other odd remarks! :wacky:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
As @finchly mentioned I think the Finch Farm takes orders and has a supply of breeders they purchase from. Nothing but a mill actually in my opinion. As a matter of fact, I was poking around pinterest quite some time ago and came across a photo of a pair of yellowsided green cheeks I OWNED. How that photo got there is beyond me but definitely stolen from somewhere... probably my old photobucket account that I haven't looked at in years. So... I clicked on that photo and it ended up taking me to... one guess... THE FINCH FARM. They were using my photo of birds I had owned to advertise their yellowsided green cheeks. So.......... I sent them a nice note. I don't see that photo anymore on their site. Here's my polite request to remove my photo and the conversation I had with their representative.

Chat started: 2018-12-07 09:28 PM UTC

(09:28:30 PM) Andrea: Hi, I came across your website via Pinterest. Googling for photos of sun conures and I see a photo of mine used on your website advertising Conure- Yellow-sided Green Cheek. Those two birds are my birds, I have the original files on their photos taken years ago and I don't recall you or any representative asking me for permission to use this photo. You.. Your Company The Finch Farm are misrepresenting birds that you sell by using MY PHOTOS of MY BIRDS. I expect you to remove this image from your website Quickly. You need to use photos from your photography and birds you currently have for sale.

Andrea
(09:28:32 PM) Dee: Hello! Thank you for visiting our store! How can I help you today?
(09:28:37 PM) *** Sales & Support joined the chat ***
(09:28:48 PM) Andrea: Read my message Dee.
(09:29:16 PM) Sales & Support: Thank you! I will let Management know right away!
(09:29:38 PM) Sales & Support: The yellow-sided green cheek?
(09:29:48 PM) Sales & Support: Where was it used?
(09:30:03 PM) Andrea: Yes... the picture with the two yellow sided green cheeks.
(09:30:11 PM) Sales & Support: Right on our site??
(09:30:18 PM) Andrea: It's on your website... yes!
(09:30:40 PM) Andrea: I'm on your page of conures for sale.
(09:30:52 PM) Sales & Support: I will have it taken care of right away, thanks for letting me know!
(09:31:10 PM) Andrea: Will they contact me regarding this matter?
(09:31:31 PM) Sales & Support: Yes we can send you an email as soon as it's been taken care of for you
(09:32:01 PM) Sales & Support: We get our photos from shutterstock as example for a bird species, so it is a bit surprising
(09:32:28 PM) Andrea: Thank you. I will check back and make sure it is removed. These photos were never on shutterstock.
(09:33:04 PM) Sales & Support: You're welcome, I will forward the information and it will be reviewed as soon as possible
(09:33:26 PM) Andrea: Looking forward to hearing back from one of your supervisors.
(09:34:19 PM) Sales & Support: Absolutely!
(09:34:27 PM) Sales & Support: Thanks again for letting us know!
(09:36:56 PM) Andrea: Not the first time people have taken my photos and used them to represent what they are selling. I just manage to catch this on pinterest. I don't like misrepresentation so I always contact the source.
(09:38:06 PM) Sales & Support: It's appreciated! We actually send a photo of the exact bird people receive in the travel box before we send it... but I did send a message to the Marketing Dept so it should be fixed shortly
(09:38:52 PM) Andrea: Thank you. I'm actually very surprised people look at a website and order birds online.
(09:39:32 PM) Sales & Support: Yes we have thousands of customers... I just gave your email to our Marketing Manager who will be contacting you
(09:39:55 PM) Andrea: thanks.
(09:40:24 PM) *** Sales & Support left the chat ***

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Finch farm is a mass breeder and overcharges for all of their birds, from society finches to macaws. They claim to have free shipping but charge $100 for a shipping box, they charge $100 for dna as well iirc. I got Dexter online, from delorce’s bird barn, which, at the time, I was unaware was generally considered a bad breeder and whose aviary has since burnt down in a fire. Shipping anything besides chickens in the mail is actually illegal, it’s just the postal system won’t check to make sure you’ve got chickens and not flighted birds. I know about the site because I like to fantasy shop for birds, I’ve never bought from them. Their reviews seem extremely positive because they curate their reviews and won’t post anything even a little negative.
Really! Delorce's bird barn isn't terribly far from me... maybe an hour and a half. I posted about it burning down. Some birds were saved but many died. Back in the day...when I knew breeders who went to bird fairs.... one in particular told me they all called her "Crazy Delorce". I don't know the reason why but don't think she was too well liked by any of the bird community in the bird shows. Her facebook page is still up. I would also venture to guess if she didn't have any babies available from any of her pairs she would buy from other people to have to sell. Not too long ago I had a conversation with someone local here who had taken on two birds that belonged to one of our members here, had them for a while but ended up either giving or selling one of them to Delorce. I asked if they knew if that bird in particular died in the fire and they didn't want to contact Delorce to find out.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Really! Delorce's bird barn isn't terribly far from me... maybe an hour and a half. I posted about it burning down. Some birds were saved but many died. Back in the day...when I knew breeders who went to bird fairs.... one in particular told me they all called her "Crazy Delorce". I don't know the reason why but don't think she was too well liked by any of the bird community in the bird shows. Her facebook page is still up. I would also venture to guess if she didn't have any babies available from any of her pairs she would buy from other people to have to sell. Not too long ago I had a conversation with someone local here who had taken on two birds that belonged to one of our members here, had them for a while but ended up either giving or selling one of them to Delorce. I asked if they knew if that bird in particular died in the fire and they didn't want to contact Delorce to find out.
She was a bit... strange... she insisted I tell her if I was religious before sending Dexter to me.