• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bunnies, anyone?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Does anyone here have rabbits? My nephew just bought one. He lives with my parents, he's hiding it from them (not my suggestion!!!). They will probably not be too mad, they have given him everything he's ever wanted. Except a dog. So I think this is his answer to not having a dog.

Are there any good forums I can direct him to -- like this one, only for rabbits?

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Can he email me? Ill send you a PM.

To be honest I wince a little when I read this, as bunnies are super hard to take care of, and not to be bought and hid from parents definitely! They are super fragile and destructive animals, kind of like a parrot in fact (except a tiny bit easier)

Id, be happy to help, however! I have two bunnies, one being severely disabled, and I volunteer at my local bunny rescue so although I'm in no way an expert, i may be able to give some resources and give care basics.

Where is he keeping the little guy? Id recommend indoors in a single room like a house cat (they are very easily house trained). You just have to "bunny proof" it, by making sure the bunny can't reach anything harmful.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'll be happy to share your information with him. He may or may not follow through.

I know how hard they are to keep correctly. That is why I wanted him to read up on it himself. I kept mine indoors but he was a baby then and probably can't remember. My brother wants to buy a cage, I suggested a dog crate.... I like a dog crate with carefresh on the floor for a sleeping/hiding area. BUT like I said, I kept them a long time ago.

And I sure wouldn't have advised him to hide it. If my kids did that, it would be an automatic "no" due to the deception. But I live hours away in another state and nobody asked me. Lol

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I love rabbits but I'll never have them since I'm allergic to hay. I would also have to get two and have a separate room for them. They really should have a lot of space to thrive from what I've seen. A totally unrealistic thing for me to do. I knew someone who used the C & C cage builds and tall dog pens.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I have two, one was found in the streets nest my school and the other was bought impulsivly by my mother in a store, so now I take care of them. They live outside in a big run and as featheredfuffs and you yourself said they are not easy to take care of:) My girl has a very big personality and is defiantly the boss over my little boy, though they do love each other! I would love to hear how this story continues! It is Great that you want to help this little bunny, I hope your nephew Will listen to you:)

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Oh dear, I hope he will do his research and care for them properly. I just lost my bonded pair. They were spayed/neutered, and lived in a very large C & C cage in my office. They were the sweetest things.

Rabbits are not "easy pets" like some people tend to believe! They do best in pairs, and need access to a vet familiar with working with them.

Please make sure he knows that they require constant access to a good quality hay!! It is so important for their digestion. My guys had constant access to fresh hay, a measured amount of good quality pellets daily, as well as fresh greens daily (or at the very least every other day).

They are very smart, too. While they had easy access to hay and greens, I made them work for their pellets each day to keep them entertained (different foraging toys).

They also should be provided with plenty of appropriate things to chew on! Mine were also very playful and appreciated any toys given to them.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yeah you are so right! Mine love willow branches most of all their play things. I also provide hay in different places and also in paper Bags and boxes, sometimes mixed with pellets or a vegetable or something. They also adore their cardboard boxes, and tunnels. Also I make toys out of toilet rolls, for example put a few pellets in it and close the ends so they have to Chew through it.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Love bunnies, but agree - not easy pets.
They need much more exercise than most people give them. A dog crate works well. That is what I used, but they need a lot of free range time either on the floor, or in a very protected outdoor space. Even litterboxed trained, they can't counted on never to pee on the carpet, or chew a cord.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I use to breed bunnies and yes they are allot of work I kept them in a 3 x 2 x 2ft cage and then had a pen outside so they got their exercise time daily which they really need ...fresh water is a must water bottles need to be cleaned always ...hay needs to be good quality as do the pellets they eat and lots fresh veggies ...they need to be handled ,see a vet yearly and really pets should be spayed or neutered ...they are intelligent and will like to play with things and they need things to naw on for their teeth ...even though they are not a long lived pet like a parrot 6-10 yrs is still is still a long time :)